DBSTalk Forum banner
121 - 140 of 193 Posts

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,619 Posts
I have a PP upgrade eligible as of yesterday 1/11/2022. I’m on Legacy billing, so I’ll probably call and check in sometime soon to see what they are offering on an account like mine. My last free upgrade in June, 2020 I got another HR24.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,476 Posts
Was just told today there was "no option to replace receiver" when chatting with a CSR trying to get a replacement HR-24 due to a failed hard drive.
Specifically what did they offer as a solution to your failed HR24?

Reactions: 242424

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Was just told today there was "no option to replace receiver" when chatting with a CSR trying to get a replacement HR-24 due to a failed hard drive.
Well, if your issue is HD only --I suggest you get and add an external HD to the receiver if your goal is to keep what you have

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,442 Posts

·
CowboySooner
1,688 Posts
I have a HD failing in an HR54-500. Made the first call which I was dreading. The CSR took me through all of the BS steps. He ran the same system test that I could of ran which came back OK. Told me I don't have any issues and there was nothing more He could do.
My receiver resets itself at least daily, sometimes more. When it resets I get a message that a problem has been detected in the storage device, the system will scan the disc and attempt to fix it.
My desire is for them to send me a replacement that I can install myself.

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,619 Posts
Next time you call-

Call advanced tech support at 844-822-3352, indicate if it’s a DirecTV or ATT account at the prompt and tell that agent that the HR54 does not power up anymore, no lights no nothing and that it’s been like that for days.

Let’s see what they offer you- either another HR54 replacement or if they try to talk you into a Genie 2. It may depend on if you have other DVR’s or Clients on your current setup.

Do you have the PP?

Reactions: I WANT MORE

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,476 Posts
My desire is for them to send me a replacement that I can install myself.
The existence of this thread suggests that you missed the boat.

Consider contacting the office of the President. CSRs typically can't override established policy.

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,619 Posts
Next time you call-

Call advanced tech support at 844-822-3352, indicate if it’s a DirecTV or ATT account at the prompt and tell that agent that the HR54 does not power up anymore, no lights no nothing and that it’s been like that for days.

Let’s see what they offer you- either another HR54 replacement or if they try to talk you into a Genie 2. It may depend on if you have other DVR’s or Clients on your current setup.

Do you have the PP?
On second note, don't call that number around 5pm CST on Fridays. I typically/always called at the start of the workweek in the mornings and got a USA rep every time. Today was different for me, for the first time.

I called that number since it always solved my problems in the past, even though I was referencing my PP free upgrade. I wanted to see if I can still get another free HR24 (on my legacy account) via the PP upgrade. Here is how it went-

1st call today around 4:30pm- Mel? answered, but she had quite the broken English (VERY difficult to understand). I quickly ended the call saying there was a lot of static on the phone line and said I would call back.

2nd call 2 minutes later- Jane? answered (Her English was much better, but still a strong accent) and after the initial dialogue she had to put me on hold to research but disconnected me 3 1/2 minutes into the call. I had given her a callback number at her request earlier in the dialogue.

3rd time- Phone rang back right away- It was Jane. She apologized, and I then said I accidentally got disconnected when I was put on hold. She said 'No, you disconnected.' (I was a little surprised at her clapback, as I was on speaker phone on my landline phone, which was sitting in on my desk- I was not holding it). We moved on to the basis of the call, reiterated what I was looking for and she said I can assist you with that. She then put me on hold again, 10 seconds later the line was disconnected- same occurrence as described above. Not wanting to go thru this charade tonight with her calling me back, I left the phone on beeping, then I clicked off about 10 minutes later. I did not want her calling me back with this many problems so early on. I then discovered another detail-

On my HR24 caller ID when she called back, it rang up as *MCK02__Antipulo 877-211-1997. The 877 number is a valid DirecTV number when one calls it back, but Antipulo seems to be in the Philippines. I then made the choice not to deal with this crap on a Friday night. I will call back on my usual Monday morning, hoping for a normal 1st shifter USA agent. Uggh.

·
66 Posts
I had that same issue and I just ended up buying a 2TB hard drive from Best Buy and swapping it out myself. Now my HR24 works great again and with much more recording space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,619 Posts
Update on this original thread title-

This applies to anyone who has, wants or is replacing a HD or HD-DVR. I am on DirecTV Legacy billing and in my 24th year with them.

-After extensively speaking to an experienced Loyalty/retention agent based in the USA today for almost two hours, the only receivers DirecTV is offering for both Legacy and ATT billing customers are Genies and Clients. No more H24's, HR24's etc. PERIOD.
-Using the protection plan to replace a dead H2x or HR2x IRD will net you a Client only, and you will need to upgrade to a Genie if none exists on your account.
-Using the protection plan to utilize your free upgrade after two years will net you a Client only, and you will need to upgrade to a Genie if none exists on your account.
-On my DirecTV.com 'manage equipment' page, there an option to order a new receiver (you have to call the number listed when you click 'purchase'). 7 receivers are listed including HD, HD-DVR's and even the TiVo HD-DVR. She said that is an error and should not be shown with all of those options. They can only complete an order for a Genie or Clients.
-She said her screen is locked out from even attempting to order a HD Receiver, HD-DVR. She also checked with supervisor, and also Equipment Tech Dept.- same answer.

She mentioned towards the end of my call (via suggestion from the Equipment Tech Department) that Solid Signal is still an option to get a HD or HD-DVR. I quickly went on SS during our call to order one at her suggestion. She immediately credited my account the $213 it cost me to purchase one from SS. (They currently have a coupon code for $10 off too- 'welcome10' or something like that).

Lastly- I asked her if DirecTV will still activate a HD receiver sitting on my shelf? She said that option may be going away in the future on my residential account (no way to indicate when) but she checked and was able to activate it right away. I decided to activate it just in case, so I'm not kicking myself later if that window closes without warning. HD receiver is still better than a Client in my book.

My entire family despises Clients (they mostly hate the GUI), plus we want tuners and not all our eggs in one basket like the Genie/client setup.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Update on this original thread title-

This applies to anyone who has, wants or is replacing a HD or HD-DVR. I am on DirecTV Legacy billing and in my 24th year with them.

-After extensively speaking to an experienced Loyalty/retention agent based in the USA today for almost two hours, the only receivers DirecTV is offering for both Legacy and ATT billing customers are Genies and Clients. No more H24's, HR24's etc. PERIOD.
-Using the protection plan to replace a dead H2x or HR2x IRD will net you a Client only, and you will need to upgrade to a Genie if none exists on your account.
-Using the protection plan to utilize your free upgrade after two years will net you a Client only, and you will need to upgrade to a Genie if none exists on your account.
-On my DirecTV.com 'manage equipment' page, there an option to order a new receiver (you have to call the number listed when you click 'purchase'). 7 receivers are listed including HD, HD-DVR's and even the TiVo HD-DVR. She said that is an error and should not be shown with all of those options. They can only complete an order for a Genie or Clients.
-She said her screen is locked out from even attempting to order a HD Receiver, HD-DVR. She also checked with supervisor, and also Equipment Tech Dept.- same answer.

She mentioned towards the end of my call (via suggestion from the Equipment Tech Department) that Solid Signal is still an option to get a HD or HD-DVR. I quickly went on SS during our call to order one at her suggestion. She immediately credited my account the $213 it cost me to purchase one from SS. (They currently have a coupon code for $10 off too- 'welcome10' or something like that).

Lastly- I asked her if DirecTV will still activate a HD receiver sitting on my shelf? She said that option may be going away in the future on my residential account (no way to indicate when) but she checked and was able to activate it right away. I decided to activate it just in case, so I'm not kicking myself later if that window closes without warning. HD receiver is still better than a Client in my book.

My entire family despises Clients (they mostly hate the GUI), plus we want tuners and not all our eggs in one basket like the Genie/client setup.
Thank you for sharing your struggle and your heads-up information

Reactions: harsh
121 - 140 of 193 Posts