DBSTalk Forum banner
161 - 180 of 194 Posts

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,731 Posts
Well good job I guess. Not sure why you wanted old equipment so badly you went through all that. Eventually streaming and satellite will be combined but not on those old 24s!
Although it was made in 2010, my 24’s are actually faster than both my HR54/C61K because I use 1TB SS drives with them. The 6TB HDD in my 54 is about 72% filled, so the remote response/navigation thru menus has definitively slowed down and noticeably slower than the 24’s with SS drives.

I will add that the 24’s also still have-

-Native control as opposed to the Genie
-Caller ID
-Music and photos which we still use (mostly for playing family videos on any TV- files stored on our PC)
-A better option for playing Pandora in the background
-GUI interface which the family prefers vs the Genie GUI.

Yes- the end will come at some point of all IRD’s and will make the switch when the end arrives. For now, our Spectrum internet by us with is too unreliable- way more lengthy outages (many for several hours in 2021), compared to Satellite rainfade which happened for only few minutes a couple of times last year. There’s other reasons for having more boxes and more tuners too, which I will not get into at the moment. 👍

Reactions: WestDC

·
Super Moderator
53,902 Posts
I couldnt sell anyone att tv now when it launched, it was missing all the sports channels.
AT&T Now was DIRECTV Now and not the same as AT&T TV. The "Now" services were more limited ... AT&T TV launched with a nearly identical line up as DIRECTV satellite (and has since become AT&T Stream).

·
Legend
199 Posts
My HR24s and HR44 have been humming along fine for years. Each is connected to a UPS as we have frequent one second power outages in S Florida, especially during summer thunderstorm season.

Need to add a HR54 to get 4K. I assume they will want the HR44 disconnected as I recall only one Genie per account. Will they want to decommission the HR24s or are they still good as long as they are running?

Anything else I should know before requesting the 54?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
reading some of this had me wondering.. so my hr24-200 died and they just replaced it with a new hr24-500 are we seeing they no longer do this?

from reading this i could have just put a new HDD in it and it would have formatted itself and took off?

·
Premium Member
3,384 Posts
First point they didn't replace it with a new HR24-500. It was a refurbished unit. They haven't made them in years. And that is correct they are no longer sending out HR24s...only clients as people here have reported. And yes you could have replaced the HDD and it would format itself and take off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
First point they didn't replace it with a new HR24-500. It was a refurbished unit. They haven't made them in years. And that is correct they are no longer sending out HR24s...only clients as people here have reported. And yes you could have replaced the HDD and it would format itself and take off.
ok.. new to me i guess.. so what is the plan for people who have equipment then as it goes bad.. you can put out genies in my case since i have too much equipment.

·
CowboySooner
1,689 Posts
Sending my receivers back today. I have an HR21,23,34,44,CK61, and WVB that they apparently don't want back. Also (2) Am21s, and an LCC.
I will be listing them all for sale. What is the latest on D* activating the HRs?

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Sending my receivers back today. I have an HR21,23,34,44,CK61, and WVB that they apparently don't want back. Also (2) Am21s, and an LCC.
I will be listing them all for sale. What is the latest on D* activating the HRs?
Good luck with your sale -- just like D*tv Doesn't want them back --D*tv Won't activate them either on any account

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,503 Posts
What is the latest on D* activating the HRs?
It seems as though the AT&T policy of not re-activating equipment on a different account is still in play.

DIRECTV wants to streamline their support process (provided by AT&T?) so I don't see them reversing this policy.

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,731 Posts
Are your AM21’s still functional?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Funny thing I cancelled a few months ago and they made a big stink over sending back (7)HR24’s I had on my account that I bought outright 12 years ago.

I tried arguing with them but it wasn’t worth it dealing with the idiots in the Philippines

On commercial accounts they are allowing us to use the H44 in place of H25’s. They are literally disabling 4 of the tubers to operate as a single tuner.

If they want to do this stupidity by not allowing H24’a why not just allow multiple genies and disable the server functionality?

·
Super Moderator
12,887 Posts
The limitation on multiple genies is a policy one, not a technical one. I have had (with pre-production engineering equipment) two genies plus other HR2x series all running at the same time. I no longer do, and would not be able to reactivate any of the older equipment now that it is shut off. But it did work.

161 - 180 of 194 Posts