DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Cool Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I hope I have posted this in the right forum. For several years now, I have been able to get local channels on my HR44-700 along with the AM21 tuner. However, after a few months of not turning my TV on much, today I noticed none of the local over the air channels are available on the guide anymore. Additionally, I can not even find any settings to rescan for local channels or any OFF-AIR antenna settings on the HR44 at all.

Was the option of getting OFF-AIR channels with the AM21 removed in recent software updates or something? I can still get local off-air channels on our living room HR24-500 with an AM21 attached to it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
12,624 Posts
No, that feature was not removed. Have you tried resetting the HR44? Try disconnecting the AM21 and resetting the HR44. Then reconnect the AM21 and reset the HR44. If it's still not recognizing the AM21, try swapping your two AM21's. Perhaps that one has died. Let us know what you find. I have a spare AM21 that I'm planning to sell soon.

·
Cool Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, that feature was not removed. Have you tried resetting the HR44? Try disconnecting the AM21 and resetting the HR44. Then reconnect the AM21 and reset the HR44. If it's still not recognizing the AM21, try swapping your two AM21's. Perhaps that one has died. Let us know what you find. I have a spare AM21 that I'm planning to sell soon.
Thanks a lot, I will reset the devices tomorrow and see how it goes. I appreciate your input.

·
Cool Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Keep us posted
I tried rebooting everything today, but it made no difference. Additionally, I forgot that I had a piece of tape covering the light in front of the AM21, I removed the tape and the LED was exposed however I can see the light is not turning on regardless of the DVR being OFF or ON, so perhaps my AM21 died.

Both the DVR and the AM21 are inside a cabinet in a very difficult spot to move around and check the back connections. Perhaps it's just disconnected from the power supply. I'll need to see when I have some time to look back there, it's hard!

·
Icon
780 Posts
The lifespan of AM21 OTA receivers is not great. I've had two of four die, and I really miss them. A third is starting to go.

One thing I would strongly recommend is not just restarting your HR44 but unplugging the AM21 first for a few minutes, then when you restart the HR44 plug the AM21 back in. For the AM21 that is starting to die on me, unplugging and replugging is the only thing that makes it start working again. Just restarting the receiver doesn't do it. It works for one to four weeks before I have to do it again.

Your Obedient Servant
SMK

·
Premium Member
11,399 Posts
The lifespan of AM21 OTA receivers is not great. I've had two of four die, and I really miss them. A third is starting to go.

One thing I would strongly recommend is not just restarting your HR44 but unplugging the AM21 first for a few minutes, then when you restart the HR44 plug the AM21 back in. For the AM21 that is starting to die on me, unplugging and replugging is the only thing that makes it start working again. Just restarting the receiver doesn't do it. It works for one to four weeks before I have to do it again.

Your Obedient Servant
SMK
I never had one fail, and I had seven. I'm guessing you gave them a hard life by sticking them in a cabinet with no airflow or something.

·
Icon
780 Posts
None of my equipment is in a cabinet with no airflow. They did appear to me to be designed to be placed over or under the corresponding D* DVR, and I did have them all under a DVR. There were no air holes on the top, so it did not seem to me that I was blocking any air movement that way. They had no fans, and the air holes on bottom and sides were never blocked.

Your Obedient Servant
SMK

·
Legend
260 Posts
I have 2 working units. No longer using satellite. I’ve received 1 pm and waiting to hear back. Price would be $100 each plus shipping plus 3 1/2% if not by friends and family. Paypal only. If I get multiple pms I’ll go down the line in order of receipt.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,503 Posts
Perhaps it's just disconnected from the power supply. I'll need to see when I have some time to look back there, it's hard!
The AM21 has an internal power supply. Maybe the IEC power cable is unplugged. This was corrected with the LCC that uses a more conventional power brick.

Putting hot gear in a home entertainment oven is far and away the best way to insure a relatively short life. If you can keep the air throughout the cabinet under 90F, you're doing much better than most.

Take a look at modern gaming consoles or the Genie 2 and ask yourself why they're no longer "stackable".

·
Icon
780 Posts
Have you called DirecTV and asked them for a Local Channel Connector for OTA channels? It's the size of a Fire Stick and comes with an antenna. It will work with the HR44. I got mine for free. I use my AM21 on my HR24.
Watch Local TV Channels With DIRECTV | DIRECTV Customer Service & Support
I would love to get an LCC from DirecTV, but through posts on this forum I am not aware of anyone getting one from them for years, and over the past year or so I've called 3 times to get one, including once the "retention" group, and no one has any idea what it is, and it is not apparently in the computer as something they can order.

Your Obedient Servant
SMK

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,503 Posts
Like the DIRECTV Stream Device, many have found happiness on eBay where DIRECTV couldn't provide.

·
Icon
780 Posts
I agree that eBay can be a source of equipment you can't find elsewhere, but the prices there are about the same as quoted here, and I'm not about to pay more than $100 for a used AM21 with a probably limited life expectancy and which D* used to provide for free. Seeing the writing on the wall I bought a TIVO Roamio OTA about 3 years ago which I use in a room where an AM21 died. It can record four programs versus the 2 of an AM21, and it has the added benefit of being able to skip commercials completely for most prime-time shows.

Your Obedient Servant
SMK

1 - 20 of 26 Posts