DBSTalk Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
AllStar
224 Posts
Yeah, when my AM21 went belly up a few years ago I bought a couple Silicondust HDhomeRuns, repurposed an old mac mini, installed MythTV and do about the same thing. It seems that the HDhomerun's tuner's perform better than the AM21.

·
Godfather
524 Posts
I would love to get an LCC from DirecTV, but through posts on this forum I am not aware of anyone getting one from them for years, and over the past year or so I've called 3 times to get one, including once the "retention" group, and no one has any idea what it is, and it is not apparently in the computer as something they can order.
I was very fortunate to get 2 LCCs (already was using a AM21 at that time) when there was a big TV station group blackout several years back. They wouldn't give out that second LCC for the life of them. After several callbacks, I talked a (oversees) CSR into sending out a second one...

Is DIRECTV adding all the local subchannels to AM21 users? They been pretty good for the SE VA/ NE NC market with the LCCs...

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,401 Posts
Additional info: I went back to a Transponder Map from November of last year and there were 6405 lines in that report so we're looking at an average of one net addition every two months across all markets.

Seven years ago, there were 4245 lines in the OTA mapping report.

I should note that there are blank lines separating markets so the actual number of OTA mappings is quite a bit less.

·
Icon
4,136 Posts
I was very fortunate to get 2 LCCs (already was using a AM21 at that time) when there was a big TV station group blackout several years back. They wouldn't give out that second LCC for the life of them. After several callbacks, I talked a (oversees) CSR into sending out a second one...

Is DIRECTV adding all the local subchannels to AM21 users? They been pretty good for the SE VA/ NE NC market with the LCCs...
With the AM21 / LCC you get the DVR integration which beats any 3rd party solution by a mile and is worth paying for imo, but not a very good selection on eBay. If my AM21 dies, yeah, I guess I would cough up the $100-$150 for one on eBay if they are still that pricey. If the case is all scratched up / filthy, I'll just swap the board into my case lol. I'm OCD about my equipment. AM21 is like 98% air with 1 small board inside. They just made it that big for stacking.

LCC is garbage though. I also had a blackout and wanted to get an LCC to simplify my wiring and free up some cabinet space. I immediately noticed it was flakey on DD pass-through and would drop out every couple of seconds. Went back to my trusted AM21 after a couple minutes. I wasn't even using their mouse pad antenna, I was using the same exact antenna connection with my AM21. AM21 had no trouble.

·
Legend
260 Posts
LCC is garbage though. I also had a blackout and wanted to get an LCC to simplify my wiring and free up some cabinet space. I immediately noticed it was flakey on DD pass-through and would drop out every couple of seconds. Went back to my trusted AM21 after a couple minutes. I wasn't even using their mouse pad antenna, I was using the same exact antenna connection with my AM21. AM21 had no trouble.
When my 1st AM21 died, I bought a brand new LCC off eBay because it was cheaper than any used AM21 listed at the time. I had the same issues and then searched the internet to look to see if others had the same issue and whether there was a fix. Many users reported the same issue and no fix other than to ditch it and find an AM21. So I did. Then I found a second AM21 so I'd have a backup. These are the 2 that are now available.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts