Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No Need to Record Great New DIRECTV Shows
A selection of DIRECTV exclusive programming is automatically saved to your DVR and available on the Showcases tab but doesn't interfere with your disk space. See the hottest artists on CD USA, follow the Project My World ladies through Europe and catch football highlights with NFL Highlights on Demand. More great shows coming soon.

Would be a nice feature if it actually was available on the HR20.

Here's the link: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/globa...d=900032&CMP=EMC-MQ-OM&ATT=120-08-061031final

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
I don't think it is a nice feature on the R15.

Makes the hard drive work to record something I'll never watch, and fills up the "MyVOD" that is in the quick menu.

I hope it never comes to the HR20, personally.

·
Godfather
314 Posts
litzdog911 said:
Showcases don't use disk space that's available for your own recordings. But I agree it would be nice to have the option of disabling and/or deleting them.
True, but it's because of Showcases that the disk space is not available for my own recordings!

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
ajwillys said:
True, but it's because of Showcases that the disk space is not available for my own recordings!
No, it is because DirecTV opted to not allocate the entire drive to user access. Showcases are just one of the things they have planned for that reserved space.

It doesn't cut into the "100hrs" on the R15 nor into the HR20's stated allocated space.

·
Banned
686 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
It doesn't cut into the "100hrs" on the R15 nor into the HR20's stated allocated space.
Will I be forced to delete programs I have chosen to record when the disk gets "full" yet there is space allocated to "Showcases" not being used for anything which benefits my experience as a customer?

·
Godfather
340 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
No, it is because DirecTV opted to not allocate the entire drive to user access. Showcases are just one of the things they have planned for that reserved space.

At least they calculated for that space. It seems nowadays most computer manufactures promise a 60GB or so hard drive. Then you read the fine print and find that 12GB is reserved for OS recovery. So you actually only get a 48 GB hard drive. I know it's a little off topic but it is nice to see that D* didn't include the reserved space in thier hour calculation.

·
Legend
101 Posts
Twosted said:
At least they calculated for that space. It seems nowadays most computer manufactures promise a 60GB or so hard drive. Then you read the fine print and find that 12GB is reserved for OS recovery. So you actually only get a 48 GB hard drive. I know it's a little off topic but it is nice to see that D* didn't include the reserved space in thier hour calculation.
That's why I always demand the OS disk that I paid for. They tell me that it's included in the recovery disk, and I tell them to keep that one. Then the first thing I do is format c:\ and reinstall the OS. I use the driver disk for any funky drivers xp doesn't recognize. I now have a new fully functional PC with the advertised HD space, w/out all the OEM BS they include.

Sorry to drive this topic further OT.

--Mike

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
wakajawaka said:
As a customer, if D* promised you 100 hours and you got 100 hours, what complaint could you possibly have?
My complaints are that, if it works like the R15, it will make "MyVOD" listings in the Quick Menu to be unusuable, because it clutters it up with Showcase recordings first in the list.

My other complaint is that it clutters the hard drive with shows I'll never watch. We have all seen computers run slower as hard drives get more full. I keep my hard drive space as free as possible by watching them soon after recording or dubbing them to DVD (the SD movies.) In the R15 you can't delete Showcases.

No big deal, but as long as we are talking about why we don't like it, those are my reasons.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.