DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

· DBSTalk Club Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife just informed our family that Thanksgiving is canceled at our home this year. We are embarrassed that our plasma tv can not show the NFL games in HD. We receive our local channels in SD only with Directv. All of our family member have large Plasmas or LCD's at their homes with cable HD. Since we are the only ones with Directv, it's just too embarrassing to have family over. The picture is ok in SD, but not great like last year with the H20. Everyone was impressed last year with our new plasma and H20 with OTA, but since upgrading to the HR20, the locals are not the same. It started a few weeks back when my wife's sister stopped by and asked what happened to our TV. Now my wife is ashamed to have family over. I know some families get together on Thanksgiving and maybe watch no TV, but not ours. The start times and eating times are all around the games. Her sister has volunteered to have Thanksgiving at her house, And hopefully we can have Christmas Eve.

· Godfather
394 Posts
You don't have HD locals on your HR20? Where in Il do you live?

· DBSTalk Club Member
1,363 Posts
why would you get the hr20 prior to your town having mpeg 4 locals?????????

· I used to be a rocket scientist
11,448 Posts
You're not hosting Thanksgiving because of television? Jeez, some peoples' priorities . . .

· DBSTalk Club Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
coolhdtv said:
It's a good idea to keep an H20 around just in case. I have the H20 on an older TV in the gym. If my MPEG4 is still stuttering I may swap the HR20 with the H20 for the game OTA.
It was a lease swap-a Hr20 for a H20. Your right, I should have kept the H20 as a back-up

· DBSTalk Club Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
carl6 said:
My sentiments exactly.:confused:

Carl
Our priority is to make everyone comfortable and have fun on the Holidays, and with our family commenting during the whole day on how their HD cable is much better than our SD Directv-it will be no fun for us.

· Mentor
34 Posts
that is so sad - that you're worried about being embarrassed about having to watch SD games that you would cancel Thanksgiving at your home.

Last year my new Sony HDTV died the day before Thanksgiving. We just pushed the old SD projection TV in place and had a great time. No one complained, no one suggested moving to someone else's house.

I like my HR20, even with the bugs and sometimes black screen recordings, but I can't believe how some people get so upset about freeking TV here. Some people need to get outside more. :)

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,008 Posts
pappys said:
You don't have HD locals on your HR20? Where in Il do you live?
Doubtless in one of the 160+ (out of 210) markets that don't yet have HD LIL locals. It is painfully obvious that delivery dates from DirecTV should be considered optimistic.

· Legend
212 Posts
Hey TYRAP, I am orig. from Danville. I know what you mean. I try my hardest to have tv on HD anytime someone is over. If HD is to spread to the masses they are to see it. But instead it seems when people come over I can only show them SD as even here in Indianapolis (oh boy) we get a whopping 2 locals in HD MP4. Oh and then of course it seems to rain and then the company is just so impressed with our high tech Directv service that they run right out to get a bug infested box with only partial features, and problems on the rest that are on. oh and of course they want to snatch up those 2 HD locals that are offered, because on a sunny day they look so nice and record so reliably.
I should have went with my gut and turned the installer away when I ASKED FOR and was TOLD I would be getting the 10-250 and he brought the HR20. I have had this thing since Sep 8th and was told the OTA's would be on before I could get a "waiver" for east coast feeds of the HD channels I don't get. Luckily I opted not to hold my breath.

· DBSTalk Club Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
GA20646 said:
that is so sad - that you're worried about being embarrassed about having to watch SD games that you would cancel Thanksgiving at your home.

Last year my new Sony HDTV died the day before Thanksgiving. We just pushed the old SD projection TV in place and had a great time. No one complained, no one suggested moving to someone else's house.

I like my HR20, even with the bugs and sometimes black screen recordings, but I can't believe how some people get so upset about freeking TV here. Some people need to get outside more. :)
Every family is different, with ours it's sports on the Holidays

· Hall Of Fame
8,740 Posts
Geez. I agree, being with family should be much more important then some football game.

But if you really need the game in HD......run down to Best Buy and get an H20 for 99.00, activate it, watch the game on Thanksgiving, then take it back on the weekend after.

Oh wait, will they lock you into another 2 year commitment if you do that?

· DBSTalk Club Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
harsh said:
Doubtless in one of the 160+ (out of 210) markets that don't yet have HD LIL locals. It is painfully obvious that delivery dates from DirecTV should be considered optimistic.
I wish we had a date for local HD. Nothing posted yet, maybe next year.

· Godfather
551 Posts
Tyrap I live in the chicagland area we have locals in hd, when did d* say they would be avalible in your area? Also I'm new to this if I wanted to start my own thread how do you do this

1 - 20 of 108 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.