DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Legend
Joined
·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my HR20 today to add to my two HD TiVos. After hours of mucking around with wiring (dual tuners, diplexers, etc) I got everything hooked up.

For testing purposes I have only 1 cable coming from the wall with no diplexors involved, straight from the multiswitch.

When it is plugged into tuner 1 in the signal strength screen tuner 1 shows 95% on 101 Transponder 1. When the same cable is switched to tuner 2 the signal is 0% on both tuners.

The unit seems to have updated to 0xFA (all of this fancy OTA wiring with no use, oh well).

Anyone have any ideas other than a defective unit? Since I got the last one at circuit city I hope i don't have to replace it, and directv denied having any in stock when I tried ordering one.

Thanks,
dan
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
542 Posts
I have had 3 boxes I had to send back because there was only 1 tuner working, or the it went out after time. I would say you need a new box
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, this is looking obviously like a bad box. when a coax cable is connected to the unit, and then waved in the air, it gets 49% (and fluctuates, like it is actually reading it) signal strength on tuner 2. I know that these new sats are powerful, but i think they need a little more of an antenna than 1/4" exposed copper.
 

·
Beware the Attack Basset
Joined
·
23,879 Posts
DBordello said:
For testing purposes I have only 1 cable coming from the wall with no diplexors involved, straight from the multiswitch.
I think this is where you went wrong. Before you get all wound up about having a defective receiver, you must connect both satellite cables.

If, after hooking up two satellite feeds, one of the tuners still doesn't work, then you have cause for concern. Any self-respecting CSR will ask if you have both satellite cables connected before proceeding any further.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
harsh said:
I think this is where you went wrong. Before you get all wound up about having a defective receiver, you must connect both satellite cables.

If, after hooking up two satellite feeds, one of the tuners still doesn't work, then you have cause for concern. Any self-respecting CSR will ask if you have both satellite cables connected before proceeding any further.
Ok... I set everything up how I would ideally setup. Tuner 1 is at 95% Tuner 2 is at 0%. I switched the two cables directly behind the HR20, same result.

I will give directv a call and see what they have in terms of a replacement as well as if I kind find one locally.
 

·
Mentor
Joined
·
40 Posts
Same thing with my HR20. After downloading 0x108 the other night, I tested the OTA reception which worked great, by the way! I need a better antenna, and a rotator due to my distance from various OTA transmitters. Another project to do later.

That night, my wife said the HR20 was stuck on a blue screen. Apparently she was changing channels and it locked up. HDMI to DVI is the connection to the TV. I switched to the component cables (which are always connected as a backup to the HDMI) and I was able to get to the channel guide.
Also later on it wouldn't record two programs at once so I did some checking and Tuner 2 was showing no (zero) signal, yet tuner 1 was 97%. Swapping the input cables did not change a thing..still no Tuner 2. I did a couple of RBRs and even reverted back to 0xFA this morning, but still no Tuner 2. D* is going to send us a replacement HR20 later this week.

In conclusion, I don't blame to software download on this problem. I think it had something to do with swapping cables around behind the unit, IE a hardware problem. Now my wife is making me promise NO MORE software test downloads!

:lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,636 Posts
DBordello said:
Ok... I set everything up how I would ideally setup. Tuner 1 is at 95% Tuner 2 is at 0%. I switched the two cables directly behind the HR20, same result.

I will give directv a call and see what they have in terms of a replacement as well as if I kind find one locally.
did you reseet the unit after connecting the cables? if only 1 is attached it will permenently disable the other..
 

·
Beware the Attack Basset
Joined
·
23,879 Posts
Drillbit said:
HDMI to DMI is the connection to the TV. I switched to the component cables (which are always connected as a backup to the HDMI) and I was able to get to the channel guide.
Does your DVI (Dee Vee Aye) TV support HDCP? If it doesn't, there may be another reason that the HDMI port went dark.
 

·
Mentor
Joined
·
40 Posts
harsh said:
Does your DVI (Dee Vee Aye) TV support HDCP? If it doesn't, there may be another reason that the HDMI port went dark.
I just checked the specifications, and it does support HDCP.

http://www.westinghousedigital.com/pdf/15_User_Manual.pdf

My TV and HR20 have been connected via HDMI-DVI since the beginning, which has been about 3 weeks now. This was the first such occurrance of a lockup, and firmware 0x108 was installed at the time. I could not get the HR20 to respond via the remote until I switched from HDMI-DVI to component. It's possible that what caused the lockup was trying to record two programs at once while Tuner 2 was searching for a signal.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,102 Posts
houskamp said:
did you reseet the unit after connecting the cables? if only 1 is attached it will permenently disable the other..
This is EXACTLY my thoughts.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Today I check agian, only signal on tuner 1. Then I switched the cables and pushed the red button.

When it came back no signal on either tuner. This made me think that I may have a bad cable after all. Then I replaced them back to the original configuration and tuner 1 had signal. But then when I switched them AGAIN tuner 1 had signal and tuner 2 did not. Therefore I have no idea what is going on.

I left it like this and watched TV, everything was great. So i successfully watched TV with both cables plugged into Tuner 1 so I believe that wiring is not the issue.

To verify that the HR20 wasn't doing something funky and mapping the tuner #1 to different physical cables I disconnected the cable from the 1st input and it went to searching for signal. This made sense.

Then later that day I was taking a diplexer out (stripped, needs replaced). I broke the chain by taking the diplexer out which would break the Tuner 2 signal path, which should have no effect. The HR20 then went to searching for signal.

To summarize, only 1 tuner shows signal strength, but if either cable is removed the unit goes searching for signal.

Wierd.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top