DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Cool Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my receiver for about a month and every now and then I would get the message that its searching for the signal for satellite #1. It would say reset the receiver and check connections. It would fix the problem everytime I reset the receiver except now. Its always on. No storms and I reconnected everything.

Anyone else having this problem?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

·
4 Posts
I have had this same problem since day 1 and have had the box for 3 weeks now. From what I have been able to determine is this message only occurs when the box is trying to use both tuners. If my tv is recording just one program that is occurring on tuner 1, then any live tv watching seems to happen on tuner 2. From what I can tell the problem only happens when tuner 1 is trying to change the channel for another recording. Last night I was recording a show on ABC from 10-11pm...I was watching the Bears win somehow on tuner 2....at 11pm I got the line one error message and I hadn't changed the channel the entire time I was watching the game on tuner 2. I checked my vod list b/c the record light was still on... Tuner 1 had changed the channel to FoodTV to start a new recording and that is when I got the message.

This really annoying problem is either something with the software (no surprise there) or perhaps there are some faulty tuners in some of these boxes. I just don't buy it that this is a problem with an LNB on the dish...if so what would a software reset of the box have anything to do with ?

This problem is really really annoying b/c it pretty much beats the whole purpose of having a dvr if you have to cross your fingers that the box will work the way its supposed to.

Anyone else out there noticing the same problem???

·
Icon
545 Posts
Dash Power said:
I have had my receiver for about a month and every now and then I would get the message that its searching for the signal for satellite #1. It would say reset the receiver and check connections. It would fix the problem everytime I reset the receiver except now. Its always on. No storms and I reconnected everything.

Anyone else having this problem?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
First, swap your sat inputs! If your msg now reads "seaching for signal on sat 2 in" then you have a problem somewhere in the coax back to the dish! If the msg doesnt change then you have a problem with your tuner or connection at your HR20! Oh yea, I forgot, before you do any of that, try removing your BBC and connect the coax directly to the HR20!

·
Registered
14,718 Posts
Well, our area install supervisor just left and we are on our 2nd unit. He, along with advanced tech support concluded it is bad batch of units. We are being sent a new unit from the next batch (3-4 weeks).

·
AllStar
56 Posts
I just had my HR20 installed yesterday. I was getting this message on my existing HR10, so it wasn't something with the receiver itself. The installer went back on the roof, disconnected then reconnected the LNBs, and the problem went away.

·
Icon
942 Posts
I had a very similar problem, only it was only happening on the HD channels (MPEG4 and MPEG2). I had the installer come back out and it turns out that something was wrong on the newly installed AT-9 dish. He said that something had broken on the LNBs. If the wind blew the right way, I would get HD channels, but 90% of the time I was getting a "searching for sat" message.

Since he came back and fixed it, I've not had one lost signal, even during heavy rains.

Bob

·
Cool Member
16 Posts
I experienced the same thing last night on my HR20 that was installed the previous week. Weather had been bad so I wasn't sure that might not have caused the problem. Anyway, while working through diagnosis with DirecTV Tech(reset, switch cables, etc.) I noticed that the screen that shows tuner status showed one tuner constantly changing from acquired with 95% signal to not acquired with 0 signal. Tech advice changed from try this and that to "you have a bad unit and we're sending a replacement". I'm still not convinced since HR20 seemed to be OK this morning, but will see and post what happens.

kpkingdon

2xAT9
2xWB68
3xHR10
1xHR20
4xH20
1xLG3200
1xZenith520
1xSam360

·
Legend
139 Posts
kpkingdon said:
I noticed that the screen that shows tuner status showed one tuner constantly changing from acquired with 95% signal to not acquired with 0 signal.
I am having this problem with BOTH of my tuners on the ODD transponders on sat 101 (and one other that I can't remember now). My signal bounces all around. All the even transponders are fine, and most signals peak in the mid to upper 90s. It affects my NFLST channels and numerous outher. I have posted a couple threads regarding this issue. I have tried several "fixes" and am on my second box. Still a problem. here is the thread if anyone is interested:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=67196

Kurt

·
Mentor
40 Posts
I have had this problem too. i can watch tv find but man does that message get annoying. it happened after a rain storm. since, i have reset the unit with the red button and it "seems" to be working okay now. i hope that is all it needed........

·
Cool Member
12 Posts
I have this same problem too. It started around 9:00pm Monday night during the game. This morning I found out that Heroes did not record which comes on at 9:00 Monday. Man, I was pissed.:(

·
AllStar
71 Posts
randy_o said:
I have this same problem too. It started around 9:00pm Monday night during the game. This morning I found out that Heroes did not record which comes on at 9:00 Monday. Man, I was pissed.:(
Searching for Sat Signal 1(771)....

The weird thing is that when mine does this, after 5 min or so, the screen saver pops up...
Talk about annoying

I just know D* is going to add dual buffers and make this into the champion unit that we all know it can be.
then again, if they don't....that Comcast Triple play sure does look inviting

·
Icon
545 Posts
Not all these "searching for signal" msg are the same problem!!
It could be anything from bad coax to a faulty lnb or bad B band converters!
It could also be the rcvr! You must troubleshoot to isolate what the trouble is!

·
Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
iceman2a said:
Not all these "searching for signal" msg are the same problem!!
It could be anything from bad coax to a faulty lnb or bad B band converters!
It could also be the rcvr! You must troubleshoot to isolate what the trouble is!
Some people could be having dish, cable or bbc issues but I am confident that the problem I am experience is with the software.

This has happened to me twice, once it recorded a blank recording but stopping the recording, hitting the channel down and back up again made the HR20 tuned it in fine. The second time the message was on the screen and 2 recordings were going and they were recording just fine. I had to stop the recordings and restart them just to get the message to go away. I suspect that what ever subsystem kicks that message up is not rechecking status as much as it needs to inorder to check that it is actually tuned it, or some status bit or flag is not getting set correctly or reset and the HR20 is erroneously reporting that there is no sat signal.

·
6 Posts
Our HR20, which has been in place for about 3 weeks did the same thing last Sunday evening. I received the no signal/searching message, reset the box and kept getting the message.

Then the guide stopped showing the HD channels. This continued through Monday evening when I called tech support. I went through 2 techs, (each performed the same troubleshooting steps) before being told a support person would come out on Wednesday.

Naturally, Tuesday morning, the box started functioning normally. The tech came today and declared it okay...(whatever that means :)

That's the only glitch I've experienced with the machine, but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't happen again during the Series !

·
AllStar
83 Posts
Right now, I just bypass the error by simply changing to Channel 70 and jump back to the previous channel. Everything seems to be magically repaired, including pixelation (if any). I have also tried removing the BBC units with no success.

Hopefully, a firmware update is on tap for next Wednesday, which will address this and other issues. Again, I await patiently.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

·
Cool Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The tech is coming tomorrow and wouldn't you know the receiver doesn't do it any more. I got a feeling the tech will say all is ok and as soon as he leaves it will surely come back.

I have had ultimate tv, two tivos and many other basic receivers with never a problem. Too many with this DVR in my opinion.

Starting to lose some patience.

·
Legend
109 Posts
I had the same issues with this. Two nights ago I took the B-blocks off and screwed the sat cables straight into the receiver, did a hard reset, and I have not had a problem since. Prior to that, it was hanging about 3-5 times a night.

-Chuck

·
Legend
193 Posts
1 - check connectors.. run system test.. see if both tuners are ok or which one failed.
2 - switch cables & yes, bbc needs to be on sat 1, reset, then do system test again.

if tuners fail.. then issue goes further than coax to the ant.. then that would be tech to determine lnb.. yes, 5lnb dish.. it is possible to have a bad lnb straight out of box.. (boyfriend a tech) so unfortunately has ran into it.. not all are bad irds.

another trick.. one of the hr20s was covered under PP so I conference called w/them to "see" some of their routes of ts... they re-forced a download.. not to say that works for everything.. but I asked them after cust off phone -- why they did that?? they stated that in case part of the info wasn't downloaded correctly then it should have the 2nd time?? so.. alot of things are trial & error.. but after u switch cables do the reg reset or it would show the same failure.. worth a try.

·
Legend
109 Posts
Well, I guess I jinxed myself. Recorded one show off HD local in 1080i while watching NLCS game, midway through the 9th inning of the ball game (go CARDS!), "SEARCHING SATELLITE 2" message comes up. Rebooted and it's working okay again...

Earl, do you know if this problem is being worked on for resolution in the next software release?

-Chuck

·
Legend
148 Posts
I've been getting the 771 message with 110, 99 for a couple of days. 103 just started doing the same thing tonight.

It's happening on two separate HR20s and started the same day for both. I've had both receivers for a month, so I'm sure they are hooked up fine.

I'm fairly confident that either the multiswitch or the LNB went bad. Tech's coming tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.