DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
I thought your question was cleverly put...we are due for a snowstorm of such questions in the next 36 hours....bank on it. (and there is nothing wrong with asking)

There's nothing wrong with asking a question that's been asked and answered a hundred times. Those who have some patience and the requisite knowledge will politely answer the question. Those who don't will lament the absence of an FAQ, poor or absent search technique or find some other way to lecture or put down the questioner. (or they just might ignore the questioner, but that seems to be asking a lot) Just part of the game on these forums.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hasan said:
I thought your question was cleverly put...we are due for a snowstorm of such questions in the next 36 hours....bank on it. (and there is nothing wrong with asking)

There's nothing wrong with asking a question that's been asked and answered a hundred times. Those who have some patience and the requisite knowledge will politely answer the question. Those who don't will lament the absence of an FAQ, poor or absent search technique or find some other way to lecture or put down the questioner. (or they just might ignore the questioner, but that seems to be asking a lot) Just part of the game on these forums.
I would hope that no one takes this forum seriously enough to actually get upset over a simple question.

Besides...

"Update anticipation" is something that is likely shared by most readers of this board. I think having a thread about it is healthy. After all, we could perhaps classify "update anticipation" as a new disorder. Perhaps requiring a drug. I wonder if the drugs for restless leg syndrome would help!

Seriously: I think its valid to get "excited" about an update and to talk about it. Since so many are hoping OTA will be in the next update.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
I agree with you. Earl said that OTA will NOT be in this update...looks like the next one after the one we are "anticipating" in the next few days.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
hasan said:
I agree with you. Earl said that OTA will NOT be in this update...looks like the next one after the one we are "anticipating" in the next few days.
I think it was yesterday; Earl basically confirmed no OTA this time. Said that D* were almost done with their weekend testing and the next update was very close to release.

Earl, I hope i parphrased correctly.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Vinny said:
I think it was yesterday; Earl basically confirmed no OTA this time. Said that D* were almost done with their weekend testing and the next update was very close to release.

Earl, I hope i parphrased correctly.
Thanks for the info - I missed that.

So now I have to think of another valid reason to be excited about the next update...

..thinking (ouch)....

How 'bout - Hey! Maybe MPEG4 FF will be seamless, and they will enable the little clicking sounds whenever you press a button! That would rock.

·
Icon
880 Posts
jaywdetroit said:

So now I have to think of another valid reason to be excited about the next update...

..thinking (ouch)....

How 'bout - Hey! Maybe MPEG4 FF will be seamless, and they will enable the little clicking sounds whenever you press a button! That would rock.
Yea....how 'bout a FF and REW that always works first?:lol:

·
Legend
177 Posts
when is the next update after this weeks update going to be out. Can I get a scheudule of the next 6 updates. I need to plan and make sure I am home.

Really..................................just kidding

·
Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
jaywdetroit said:

..thinking (ouch)....

If you like sound effects (assuming they ever enable them) and you want DD audio, I don't think that will ever happen. It is complex but it has to do with real time signal processing of the DD channels and rebuilding them to inject a sound effect. I seriously doubt that this box even has the hardware to do this and it would likely cause all kinds of problems audio problems. If you are happy with using the stereo outputs and on the back of the box or possibly PCM then sound effects are possible.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
btmoore said:
If you like sound effects (assuming they ever enable them) and you want DD audio, I don't think that will ever happen. It is complex but it has to do with real time signal processing of the DD channels and rebuilding them to inject a sound effect. I seriously doubt that this box even has the hardware to do this and it would likely cause all kinds of problems audio problems. If you are happy with using the stereo outputs and on the back of the box or possibly PCM then sound effects are possible.
I fall into that category - I don't have this box hooked into an expensive sound system. Just a TV, and cheap ($30 at a garage sale) off brand "home theater" system.

I like the tivo sounds. I like getting feedback that the box registered my thumb press.

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
btmoore said:
It's possible but not very likely. The XBox360 will be able to do this with menu sounds for the HD-DVD add-on (per a post by a M$ developer I saw yesterday), but they also say decoding and playing back HD-DVD video and audio takes all up all six available hardware threads in the processor cores so . . . I won't ever expect to see anything like it in the HR20.

On the other hand, a tweak to not delete sports recordings off NFLST would be nice - I'd have liked to watch the one Superfan HD game I recorded last Sunday. :rolleyes:

However, that's been my only real recording issue (and never had a lockup) so my complaints are pretty low-key still.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
LameLefty said:
It's possible but not very likely. The XBox360 will be able to do this with menu sounds for the HD-DVD add-on (per a post by a M$ developer I saw yesterday), but they also say decoding and playing back HD-DVD video and audio takes all up all six available hardware threads in the processor cores so . . . I won't ever expect to see anything like it in the HR20.

On the other hand, a tweak to not delete sports recordings off NFLST would be nice - I'd have liked to watch the one Superfan HD game I recorded last Sunday. :rolleyes:

However, that's been my only real recording issue (and never had a lockup) so my complaints are pretty low-key still.
There are sooooooo many "tweaks" needed by this box. My list of "tweaks" Partial, unwatchable/unplayable, 771, DD off to be on, and locked up interface. IMO these are the critical tweaks that need attention over all other tweaks.

·
AllStar
75 Posts
I think the HR20 could be deemed barely adequate considering a few IFs.

If you use it during this update period primarily as a back-up for an HR10-250 or vice versa.

If you can get your local HD networks by OTA thru another receiver or your
HD TV.

If you can live without Closed Captioning (fix should include quick response)

If you paid $99 or less for the unit.

Otherwise if it is your only box, it would be reasonable to get the Retention Dept (800-824-9081) to give you an H20 and/or R15 for use during this slowly developing series of ugrades .

Toshiba 57 in HD RPTV, 1 HR20, 2 HR10s,1 R10, & 1 R15 not activated

·
Legend
181 Posts
Seeing as my HR20 is working adequately I'm a little apprehensive of the next update. Please don't break anything this time D*! My HR10 now has audio dropouts on OTA HD Fox since 6.3a - luckily I have the HR20 for backup :hurah:

Which would you prefer, faster responses or perfect audio? How about both?

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
andbye said:
I think the HR20 could be deemed barely adequate considering a few IFs.
Can't we be trusted to decide what's "barely adequate" for ourselves?

If you use it during this update period primarily as a back-up for an HR10-250 or vice versa.
Nope. No backups and no need. I've been bitten by the "sports programming goes black" bug once and lost a Superfan HD game as a result. It's a repeatable, well-known bug and I'm pretty sure it'll be taken care of in due time, hopefully in the next few days.

If you can get your local HD networks by OTA thru another receiver or your
HD TV.
I can get OTA through my TV's dual ATSC tuners but there's no need. I haven't had any unwatchable recordings, no system hangs or unresponsive UI recording both MPEG2 SD, MPEG2 HD or MPEG4 HD programming. PQ is good to excellent on all my channels including locals and for the few things that have been problematic (CBS HD college football) it's getting better.

If you can live without Closed Captioning (fix should include quick response)
Don't need it so I can't really comment on it. If I were deaf or had a deaf family member, or ran a bar where I used it a lot, I can see getting cheesed off about this.

If you paid $99 or less for the unit.
I have a net $-40 invested so that applies to me.

Otherwise if it is your only box, it would be reasonable to get the Retention Dept (800-824-9081) to give you an H20 and/or R15 for use during this slowly developing series of ugrades .
If I start losing my core recordings (for instance CSI, BSG, the college HD football games I record, and the various SD and HD shows my wife watches) I'll call Retention and *****. The fact is that the one recording I've had deleted by my system is part of a very repeatable pattern and I fully expect it get fixed. If the next update doesn't cure it, with all the *****ing about it here and three weeks since the last update, THEN I'll call and complain for some programming credits.

I'm not minimizing people's problems. But what is barely adequate to some is clearly perfect to others and (in my case) pretty good to excellent, assuming I don't start losing NFLST HD games routinely.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Regarding using the HR20 as a backup:

I was just thinking about that after I was out reading the Survey thread and noticed the CSR who said we "already have" dual buffers. My mood soured after reading that.

If D* does not make it possible for me to switch between the 2 tuners with a single button, and buffer both tuners, I will eventually bolt. I used this feature EVERY time I watched live television with my TIVO.

I was just watching a recording, and had paused the live buffer. When I returned, the live station was no longer paused, and worse yet, it wasn't even buffered!!!!

It is becoming obvious D* does not want to make it easy for their customers to commercial skip. Which is the biggest reason I own a DVR. If that doesn't change, I will.

I hope that guy was full of @!#[email protected]

·
Lifetime Achiever
28,939 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.