Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Lifetime Achiever
28,939 Posts
jaywdetroit said:
Regarding using the HR20 as a backup:

I was just thinking about that after I was out reading the Survey thread and noticed the CSR who said we "already have" dual buffers. My mood soured after reading that.
That was my first response as well, but I believe that the person responding really didn't understand the concept. It's been clear here for some time as to what that means. Obviously, we want dual buffers to automatically exist without the need to press the record button. All of the extra steps to mimic the functionality that many of us were used to on TiVo makes for a frustrating experience.

Attachments

·
Hall Of Fame
13,447 Posts
btmoore said:
If you like sound effects (assuming they ever enable them) and you want DD audio, I don't think that will ever happen.
Of course it will happen, and it's extremely simple: just don't have sound effects when DD audio is playing. Problem solved. The majority of the channels don't have DD audio anyway, so it's not that big of a deal.

·
Godfather
267 Posts
Well... it's official! We just got our first FREEZE on our 2 month old HR20! Wife just called me here at work to tell me it completely locked up after she deleted a show from MyVOD. I hope this doesn't become a frequent thing!!!

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
jaywdetroit said:
Has D* ever given any kind of response to the wish-list survey? It would be nice to see some of those features in the next couple of releases.
brott said:
DirecTV has unofficially given a response to some of the items on the list.

1st response - http://www.dbstalk.com/showpost.php?p=706284&postcount=91

2nd response - http://www.dbstalk.com/showpost.php?p=714669&postcount=164
My contacts have seen the Survey... and they are watching the results, but I haven't gotten any feedback on any of the entries...

And sorry... I have been gone all day.. 450+ miles driven today... :(
And I get to do it again tomorrow...

·
Icon
550 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
My contacts have seen the Survey... and they are watching the results, but I haven't gotten any feedback on any of the entries...

What would we all do if we got an update without you to publish the release notes??? You mean we might have to guess what they changed... :lol:

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
lguvenoz said:
What would we all do if we got an update without you to publish the release notes??? You mean we might have to guess what they changed... :lol:
:)
I already have the notes...
They are on the forum, you just can't get to them yet.

If I am not around, the other mods know how to "release" them.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
:)
I already have the notes...
They are on the forum, you just can't get to them yet.

If I am not around, the other mods know how to "release" them.
I guess that means a new update starts going out tonight :D

·
Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08
5,222 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:

Thanks for posting those links, Earl. I'd not seen them before. Good to know they'll think about CC on FFx1 once both FF and CC are fixed. :D

·
AllStar
75 Posts
LameLefty said:
Can't we be trusted to decide what's "barely adequate" for ourselves?

Nope. No backups and no need. I've been bitten by the "sports programming goes black" bug once and lost a Superfan HD game as a result. It's a repeatable, well-known bug and I'm pretty sure it'll be taken care of in due time, hopefully in the next few days.

I can get OTA through my TV's dual ATSC tuners but there's no need. I haven't had any unwatchable recordings, no system hangs or unresponsive UI recording both MPEG2 SD, MPEG2 HD or MPEG4 HD programming. PQ is good to excellent on all my channels including locals and for the few things that have been problematic (CBS HD college football) it's getting better.

Don't need it so I can't really comment on it. If I were deaf or had a deaf family member, or ran a bar where I used it a lot, I can see getting cheesed off about this.

I have a net $-40 invested so that applies to me.

If I start losing my core recordings (for instance CSI, BSG, the college HD football games I record, and the various SD and HD shows my wife watches) I'll call Retention and *****. The fact is that the one recording I've had deleted by my system is part of a very repeatable pattern and I fully expect it get fixed. If the next update doesn't cure it, with all the *****ing about it here and three weeks since the last update, THEN I'll call and complain for some programming credits.

I'm not minimizing people's problems. But what is barely adequate to some is clearly perfect to others and (in my case) pretty good to excellent, assuming I don't start losing NFLST HD games routinely.
Sorry -- Glad you got one of the better HR20s-- my post was not aimed at satisfied subs who got a stable box as a freebie. It was directed toward those who paid big bucks, got an unstable box and have no back-up HD/DVR equipment.

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
andbye said:
Sorry -- Glad you got one of the better HR20s-- my post was not aimed at satisfied subs who got a stable box as a freebie. It was directed toward those who paid big bucks, got an unstable box and have no back-up HD/DVR equipment.
Yeah, in retrospect I see that. I'm sorry for all those folks who are having such problems with theirs. For us the box works and works pretty well. My wife has even started to like the UI better than TiVo - when we watch in the bedroom now on one of our old DSR6000s I can almost hear her grind her teeth at how slow it is. Our only substantial glitch has been that single "Deleted" HD Superfan game - no resets, nothing. If that issue gets fixed we'll be in great shape.

I seriously believe lots of problems in this box relate to how it handles corruption in the data stream, with MPEG4 being worse overall in terms of how susceptible to corruption it is. The box just doesn't handle data errors gracefully at all. If you have an electrically-noisy installation (marginal cables or connectors, a little bit of moisture, whatever), poor reception through trees or a misaligned dish, or just bad locals sending out error-filled data streams you'll have many more problems than if you don't have these things.

Either that or the boxes are just running too close to the specs on some parts and boxes built with some marginal components are flakier than others. I mean, it's GOTTA be something like this. Otherwise it would be impossible to have boxes that need to be reset two or three times a day, and have others that haven't locked up at all.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.