DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32,456 Posts
hilmar2k said:
The Galaxy Nexus is supposed to be the beginning of the end of that issue. Android 4.0 will unify the platform finally. It is certainly a little fractured at the moment, and I can understand why that makes developing for it harder than the one OS, one phone, one tablet platform that is Apple.
Exactly.

Android 4.x (Ice Cream Sandwich - aka ICS) is the only go-forward platform for Android on all devices.

Some current devices (smart phones and tablets) will be upgraded (for free) to ICS...mostly Android 2.3 devices and newer.

So unlike in the past, as of 2012...Android apps and devices will share a single OS and related capabilities.

·
Registered
32,456 Posts
I suspect that between the upgrade transition of Android 2.3 devices (most of them) and newer to ICS, along with ICS delivered on anything 2012 going forward...most folks won't be negatively impacted in any way.

Google did a much better job with SDK's and education on Andriod 4.x (Ice Cream Sandwich) than anything they've done to date. 2012 should be an interesting year on mobile devices in general. I hope to get more of a pulse on that next week (CES).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.