DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has already been asked, but what is the difference between the 4:3 ad 16:9 modes on the SD receivers (like the D12 for example.)

I see absolutely NO difference on either 4:3 tv or a 16:9 tv.

So whats the point of these options?
Am I missing something here?

· Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
It’s been a while, but I seem to recall that when I had an old SD UTV receiver connected to my 16:9 HDTV, it would automatically recognize 16:9 content and instead of sending it in letterbox 4:3, the IRD would horizontally compress the picture so that if the TV was set for “stretch”, it would then fill the screen correctly.

· Registered
5,530 Posts
I think this is a mode intended to handle SD 16:9, so you could display it on a wide-screen TV. For a while, this was a format several stations were using (and I remember the cricket world cup using it a couple of years ago, because the source was widescreen SD) but I don't think anyone is using it any more.

· Registered
5,530 Posts
Yes, when the station sends out a 16:9 picture embedded in a 4:3 frame that is NOT a 16:9 picture, as far as the receiver is concerned it is 4:3. I am talking about the channel sending a real 16:9 picture but in SD. As I posted, I don't think anyone does this anymore but a few years ago there were channels that used this format.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.