DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have recently upgraded to HDTV service, with a 622 receiver. My local affiliates do not broadcast in HDTV to Dish. My question is since I have an RV I can get other "non-local" local channels. Can I get HD through a local "non-local" channel package?

I hope this makes sense to somebody.

·
Godfather
450 Posts
appleguy said:
OK, I have recently upgraded to HDTV service, with a 622 receiver. My local affiliates do not broadcast in HDTV to Dish. My question is since I have an RV I can get other "non-local" local channels. Can I get HD through a local "non-local" channel package?

I hope this makes sense to somebody.
No, not legally. Even if you did, unless Echostar wins a last minute appeal, the distant HD channels (WCBS/KCBS) would go away on December 1.

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The technology side of this issue evades me. Let's say the network package I receive (that is not local to me) is available to local Dish Network subscribers in HDTV(through Dish Network). If I receive these same channels, why would it not be in HD?

·
Hall Of Fame
2,114 Posts
If you change your service address to another DMA, the SD locals for that DMA are delivered on some sat and transponder(s). Almost all are on spot beams that can only be received in a certain geographic area. The HD Locals may be on a different sat, a different spotbeam, ... that may cover a different geographic area. The SD and HD spots would both cover Spokane or Seattle, but as you physically move away from them, you may lose just the HD spot or just the SD spot.

RV is immaterial here, unless you are driving there! If you are talking about Distant locals like NY & LA (which disappear 1-Dec anyway), they are NOT on spotbeams and can be picked up all over the US. That isn't true of the HD locals for those cities - they ARE spots.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,086 Posts
Tower Guy said:
No, not legally. Even if you did, unless Echostar wins a last minute appeal, the distant HD channels (WCBS/KCBS) would go away on December 1.
The DNS ruling doesn't apply to WCBS/KCBS. They are not part of the distant networks.The WCBS/KCBS was a seperate deal signed between CBS network and E*. If they can get other nets to sign a similar deal then they could provide that net as a national station as well. This is only related to the WCBS/KCBS # 9483/9484. The NY locals on channels 241, 243, 245, & 247. The LA locals on channels 242, 244, 246, & 248. will no longer avaiable in 12/1/06

·
Hall Of Fame
3,918 Posts
whatchel1 said:
The DNS ruling doesn't apply to WCBS/KCBS. They are not part of the distant networks.The WCBS/KCBS was a seperate deal signed between CBS network and E*.
What we don't know is if the agreement between CBS and Dish Network is simply a blanket waiver under the SHVIA. If it is a blanket waiver, then WCBS and KCBS in HD will also go away.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,086 Posts
Greg Bimson said:
What we don't know is if the agreement between CBS and Dish Network is simply a blanket waiver under the SHVIA. If it is a blanket waiver, then WCBS and KCBS in HD will also go away.
When I was approved to receive the CBS HD out of NY (due to CBS/ABC not being in HD here). I talked to the exec resolution team. I was told that the agreement was a completely different agreement signed with CBS national. I was also told that they are trying to get the same deal signed with the other networks. They felt it would be able to get 1 w/ ABC maybe NBC but the FOX people weren't really willing to deal with them. IMHO this has to do w/ FOX being indirectly related to Directv, hope Rupert does find someone to buy Directv.

·
Icon
538 Posts
Greg Bimson said:
I think it's a blank O&O waiver under SHVIA. Otherwise they wouldn't have been able to clear the copywrites on ALL the syndicated programming.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,918 Posts
whatchel1 said:
When I was approved to receive the CBS HD out of NY (due to CBS/ABC not being in HD here). I talked to the exec resolution team. I was told that the agreement was a completely different agreement signed with CBS national. I was also told that they are trying to get the same deal signed with the other networks.
But that is the point. If the signed deal is simply a blanket waiver, it is a different deal than the analog distant network services as there was no agreement in place for the analog DNS.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.