DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Legend
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be installing an AU9-S slimline dish soon, on a non-penetrating roof mount. The instructions didn't say what kind or how many cement blocks were preferred, so I bought 16 of the 4 x 8 x 16" blocks with the three holes in them. I figured 16 of these would have more weight than 8 full size blocks with the large hollows in them. We get some wicked thunderstorms/high winds in the summertime and I want as much weight as possible on the mount.

This is the mount I purchased:
http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?prod=FRM-200

Question is if I place them upright (holes vertical) do I have to worry about wintertime water/melting snow filling up the holes, freezing, then cracking the blocks ?

Also any handy tips on how to haul these things up a 25 foot ladder to the roof ? :)

· Hall Of Fame
3,937 Posts
I usually buy a 100 foot piece of clothsline rope, cut it into two 50 foot lengths and drop the four ends down, and then tie them to four blocks and repeat as necessary.

Most of us request ballast wieght calculations from Baird.

· Legend
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AntAltMike said:
Most of us request ballast wieght calculations from Baird.
Ah, so there is a science to this :) Any rules of thumb for a 20ft high roof in NE Ohio (not near the lake), suburban area ? or I suppose I could climb up on the roof of my local BP gas station and see how many blocks they use to secure their VSAT dishes :)

· Mentor
38 Posts
paule123 said:
I'm going to be installing an AU9-S slimline dish soon, on a non-penetrating roof mount. The instructions didn't say what kind or how many cement blocks were preferred, so I bought 16 of the 4 x 8 x 16" blocks with the three holes in them. I figured 16 of these would have more weight than 8 full size blocks with the large hollows in them. We get some wicked thunderstorms/high winds in the summertime and I want as much weight as possible on the mount.

Question is if I place them upright (holes vertical) do I have to worry about wintertime water/melting snow filling up the holes, freezing, then cracking the blocks ?

Also any handy tips on how to haul these things up a 25 foot ladder to the roof ? :)
Have someone else haul them up fpr you::D

· Registered
8,035 Posts
paule123 said:

25ft ladder. Wuss. :p

For real fun, hump those babies up a 40 footer when it's 95+ and about 10000% humidity with a nice 25 mph wind. Fun times for everyone. :)

Joking aside, 8 blocks will do fine, 16 will be overkill. I put the blocks with the holes on the side. That mount will do you just fine. One other thing is to make sure you get a rubber mat to go under it and to sweep all the stones/gravel/debris from under the mount. The last thing you want is for all that weight to push a pebble through the roof membrane and cause a leak.

· Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
I'd get a rubber mat/pad also, especially if you are going to put that may blocks down. We tend to use them on NPR jobs as not to damage the roof. I guess an old piece of carpet could do too.

And also make sure to at least cross two rafters/studs.

· Registered
8,035 Posts
AntAltMike said:
Most of us commercial guys just fill the tray with hollow 8x8x16s, which we pilfer from the other non-pen mounts already on the roof.
Thats cheating. :bonk1: :lol:

· Hall Of Fame
3,071 Posts
I like sand in polly bags. I had a bunch and used them. Carry as much as you can climb with and dump it into a bag in the tray. One bag that is sold for eighty pounds of seed will way over a hundred with sand.

Bricks with a brick tong would be a second choice.

Joe

· Godfather
364 Posts
RobertE said:
Joking aside, 8 blocks will do fine, 16 will be overkill. I put the blocks with the holes on the side. That mount will do you just fine. One other thing is to make sure you get a rubber mat to go under it and to sweep all the stones/gravel/debris from under the mount. The last thing you want is for all that weight to push a pebble through the roof membrane and cause a leak.
+1 Slanted roofs 8 blocks, flat roofs/ surfaces 4 to 6 blocks, I have mine on a balcony & had no problems so far;)

6 Posts
Long time DBStalk stalker......first time poster with a stupid question.....but I'll ask it anyway.......

Is using the "non-penetrating" roof mount system a one of preference or is that specific to alleviate a particular issue present?

OR

Is it a function of not permanently installing so you can take the dish with you?

Just curious.....

Thanks.

· Hall Of Fame
8,968 Posts
Non-pen mounts are used on flat (or low-pitch) roofs where you either aren't allowed or it isn't practical to mount the dish directly to the building. Most commercial installs use them because most commercial buildings have flat roofs hidden from view and very little else to mount the dish to. Apartment buildings are another common use, as landlords hate having dishes attached to their buildings. They can also be used in place of a tripod on the balcony of an apartment/condo, and are the only option on some due to the balcony being partially enclosed, requiring the dish to be lower to the ground to get signal.

· Legend
195 Posts
IIP said:
Non-pen mounts are used on flat (or low-pitch) roofs where you either aren't allowed or it isn't practical to mount the dish directly to the building. Most commercial installs use them because most commercial buildings have flat roofs hidden from view and very little else to mount the dish to. Apartment buildings are another common use, as landlords hate having dishes attached to their buildings. They can also be used in place of a tripod on the balcony of an apartment/condo, and are the only option on some due to the balcony being partially enclosed, requiring the dish to be lower to the ground to get signal.
Are there any solutions for an angle roof? My son is renting a house while in college and cannot mount any penetrating objects on the roof or the side of the house. Unfortunately due to trees next door to his house, the ONLY place with a view of the sats is on his roof. I welcome any suggestions or solutions which can be removed without leaving holes.

· Registered
5,915 Posts
JMartinko said:
Are there any solutions for an angle roof? My son is renting a house while in college and cannot mount any penetrating objects on the roof or the side of the house. Unfortunately due to trees next door to his house, the ONLY place with a view of the sats is on his roof. I welcome any suggestions or solutions which can be removed without leaving holes.
Yes there are pitch roof non-penetrating mounts such as this one:
http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=PRM-1

· Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
paule123 said:

yes! I had some blocks with the holes upright, they filled with ICE. froze and broke

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.