DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Tain't ogre til its ogre
14,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was just wondering how many folks around here are using nontraditional operating systems. Windows and Linux (unix variants) are mainstream, like Mac OS. Are there folks using any other OS and can you go into the good and bad related to it?

I am considering moving into this real but I'm not certain where to start.

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
Mac OS
- Fedora Core running inside Mac OS
- WinXP running inside Mac OS

SUSE Linux Enterprise Server
- Helios UB for Macintosh sharing

Do any of these count as non-traditional?

14,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stuart Sweet said:
Mac OS
- Fedora Core running inside Mac OS
- WinXP running inside Mac OS

SUSE Linux Enterprise Server
- Helios UB for Macintosh sharing

Do any of these count as non-traditional?
I was thinking like MasmOS or SolarOS or something less mainstream. Something I could use for high order calculations.

· Registered
7,910 Posts
smiddy said:
RF particle/spectral density and tinkering on multivariable calculus dealing with astrophysic.
Um. Riiiiight. :eek2: :eek2: *tcusta00 steps backward slowly*

:lol:

smiddy said:
Isn't Ubuntu a unix variant?
Linux, yes - not sure what you consider mainstream or not. I consider anything non Mac or Windows to be non-mainstream. But hey, what do I know. :lol:

· Premium Member
21,658 Posts
I think Linux is being used enough now that it almost has to be considered mainstream. Granted the majority of home users are using Microsoft or Apple O/S... but people no longer make funny faces when you say Linux as if they have never heard of it.

Context may apply here too.

Unix, for example, is still in use on mainframe-type platforms... but would not (in my opinion) be considered mainstream for a home user... so if you ran Unix at home, I'd say that was non mainstream.

Not sure about here in the US anymore, but I'm pretty sure there are still places in Europe and possibly Asia that are using OS/2 at least for server-type situations. Could even be some workstations running it... IBM abandoned it many moons ago, but there could be some folks tinkering with it at home. Back in the day it was pretty stable when compared to Windows, but just not a lot of OS/2 app-development to keep it afloat.

There are also folks still running "classic" computers like the Commodore 64/128 or Tandy Color Computers... some of the Coco folks like something called OS/9.. I can't remember but there was something on the Commodore 128 that was sort-of DOS-like but different.

· Legend
178 Posts
HDMe said:
There are also folks still running "classic" computers like the Commodore 64/128 or Tandy Color Computers... some of the Coco folks like something called OS/9.. I can't remember but there was something on the Commodore 128 that was sort-of DOS-like but different.
Both the 64 and 128 had a version of BASIC but the 128 also had a mode to switch to CP/M using the Z80.

· Registered
4,296 Posts
smiddy said:
RF particle/spectral density and tinkering on multivariable calculus dealing with astrophysic.

Isn't Ubuntu a unix variant?
Smiddy, perhaps you should be looking at eBay.. several years ago they sold a used Cray Supercomputer.. of course Ms. Smiddy may not appreciate liquid notrogen cooling systems around the house...

14,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
P Smith said:
Using Solaris 9, but don't remember "SolarOS" - actually works with SunOS 3 and 4.x.x long time ago too.
Here a link for Solar OS: http://www.oby.ro/os/os_main.htm

There are quite a few more out there that I would consider not mainstream, though perhaps I am also considering noncomercial since I would call VAX/VMS mainstream too, but not really for home use.

There is also MenuetOS: http://www.menuetos.net/

These two are nonmainstream to me.

· Premium Member
21,658 Posts
HighVoltage said:
Both the 64 and 128 had a version of BASIC but the 128 also had a mode to switch to CP/M using the Z80.
CP/M was what I was trying to think of... I kept having a brainfreeze with "PCM" because I've been checking out audio formats lately... and couldn't make the leap in my brain to CP/M that I was trying to remember earlier!

· Éminence grise
8,457 Posts
I use OS X on my Mac, but have other boxen running Ubuntu and Windows XP and have experimented a bit with FreeBSD and BeOs (OS X is based on BSD so you get access to a lot of Unix commands in a terminal window). I think I still have some DOS floppies around but they have been gathering dust for many years. I even used CP/M 86 on a PC a few times in the distant past.

I started using Linux in 1994 and it has come a long way since then. It was much more hands-on in those days, but that was a good way to keep my brain challenged after retiring early from a technical job.

· Legend
128 Posts
Technically in the past I've used the following OS's (either personally or professionally):

OS/2
QNX
DOS/Windows 3.1 -> Vista Premium
(Various Windows Mobile OS's)
Linux - since the beginning, on Intel and Sparc, even before there were distrobutions. Distros mean nothing to me, its all the same guts.
SunOS 4 -> Solaris 10 + Solaris x86
FreeBSD
SCO Unix
HPUX
AIX

Currently I'm making do with Vista, XP, and Linux in the house.

14,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
HighVoltage said:
Does the PalmOS count? What about other embedded OSs? Is this strictly limited to a "desktop" OS?
No, it isn't stricty limited to desktops OS, I would be interested in a RT OS that can run on x86, something I can make a pretty decent calculator from (with graphics).

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.