DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Legend
Joined
·
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting DirectTV for my home. I have an HDTV and would really like the additional channels that Direct TV offers. Plus, having the NFL Sunday Ticket would be good as well.

Right now I have service through WideOpenWest and have HD/DVR on one TV, DVR on another, and basic cable on a 3rd.

What are some good beginning things to know/research while trying to make my decision? I looked on the forum for a FAQ for noobs, but didn't see one.

What are some good things to think about or consider when switching from cable to DirectTV?

How often should I expect outages? What are some of the tips/tricks on the packages? What are some of the better deals? How do I know what sattellite to get or what receiver?

Are the HD channels really different depending on the package you pick? Looking at the Plus HD DVR package, it has different HD channels compared to the Premier package. What would I need to get all the HD Channels, but not necessarly HBO and all that?

How does Sunday Ticket work? Do I need the SuperFan package?

Thanks for helping me to get started!!
 

· The Shadow Knows!
Joined
·
36,634 Posts
:welcome_s ewto16!

Outages are extremely rare with DIRECTV. Personally I've never had a system-wide outage, although a channel or two has gone south, usually because of the broadcaster. However, those who live in places where it rains a lot sometimes complain of reduced service during heavy rains.

As far as the packages, there aren't really tips or tricks, just select the one you want. Personally I have the HD DVR package which includes local channels, most HD channels, and the DVR service. There is also an HD extra pack that adds a few more HD channels, that's your call.

When you order your service you'll be sent the appropriate receivers. There really isn't a difference between different models of HD DVR or different models of HD receiver.

I'll leave Sunday Ticket and Superfan questions to another member, as I don't have those packages.
 

· CE'er & Retired Engineer
Joined
·
2,316 Posts
I had SuperTicket/SuperFan last year and it's nice, but expensive especially if you can't get the SuperFan free. Once you have had HD, it's very difficult to watch a game in SD.
Bottom line: If you're really into the NFL, it's worth it at $250-$270, but only if you get SuperFan for free.
 

· Legend
Joined
·
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stuart Sweet said:
:welcome_s ewto16!

Outages are extremely rare with DIRECTV. Personally I've never had a system-wide outage, although a channel or two has gone south, usually because of the broadcaster. However, those who live in places where it rains a lot sometimes complain of reduced service during heavy rains.

As far as the packages, there aren't really tips or tricks, just select the one you want. Personally I have the HD DVR package which includes local channels, most HD channels, and the DVR service. There is also an HD extra pack that adds a few more HD channels, that's your call.

When you order your service you'll be sent the appropriate receivers. There really isn't a difference between different models of HD DVR or different models of HD receiver.

I'll leave Sunday Ticket and Superfan questions to another member, as I don't have those packages.
Thanks!! What comes in the HD Extra Pack? I see that listed, but I don't see anywhere that lists the channels that are in it. The main difference I see in the new packages I was comparing is that VERSUS is in the Premier but not the others.
 

· Legend
Joined
·
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FHSPSU67 said:
I had SuperTicket/SuperFan last year and it's nice, but expensive especially if you can't get the SuperFan free. Once you have had HD, it's very difficult to watch a game in SD.
Bottom line: If you're really into the NFL, it's worth it at $250-$270, but only if you get SuperFan for free.
How do I go about trying to get the SuperFan for free? I actually saw DirectTV had a offer on their web site last week for the Sunday Ticket package that they seem to have every year, but it is not there this week.

I notice you seem to have two different receivers? Why and what is the difference between the two?
 

· Mentor
Joined
·
33 Posts
ewto16 said:
What are some good things to think about or consider when switching from cable to DirectTV?
Will you want/need the ability to record 2 channels simultaneously? If so, you will need to either run 2 cables to each box, or have an SWM (single wire multiplex) setup, which is somewhat uncommon right now.
 

· Legend
Joined
·
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cowart said:
Will you want/need the ability to record 2 channels simultaneously? If so, you will need to either run 2 cables to each box, or have an SWM (single wire multiplex) setup, which is somewhat uncommon right now.
Yep, I have the ability to record two shows at once on my cable DVR now, so I would want that on a DirectTV setup.

Is that something I have to specifically ask for, or would the setup person just do that normally? What is a SWM and how do I know if I can/should get one of those? Does it effect the signal?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,792 Posts
ewto16 said:
Thanks!! What comes in the HD Extra Pack? I see that listed, but I don't see anywhere that lists the channels that are in it. The main difference I see in the new packages I was comparing is that VERSUS is in the Premier but not the others.
The HD Extra Pak has the following:

Ch. 78 HDNet Movie
Ch. 255 MGM (MGM movie channel)
Ch.332 MHD ( I dont know what this one is)
Ch. 267 Smithsonian Channel
Ch. 74,259 Universal HD

ewto16 said:
I notice you seem to have two different receivers? Why and what is the difference between the two?
The only real difference between the HR20 and the HR21 is the lack of an OTA tuner in the HR21
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,792 Posts
Stuart Sweet said:
...and that HR20 receivers are not made any more.
There is always that little small detail. Thanks Stuart. :lol:
 

· CE'er & Retired Engineer
Joined
·
2,316 Posts
ewto16 said:
How do I go about trying to get the SuperFan for free? I actually saw DirectTV had a offer on their web site last week for the Sunday Ticket package that they seem to have every year, but it is not there this week.

I notice you seem to have two different receivers? Why and what is the difference between the two?
I see good answers to your last question.
As far as getting Superfan for free, I would just offer to pay for SuperTicket when you are getting signed up, but only if SuperFan is included since you want the HD games. That's basically what I did, but no guarantees. I think you'll get it though!
:welcome_s
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,570 Posts
ewto16 said:
I see you have two receivers and have them networked. What does that do for you?
Networking enables on Demand and some "other" functions ie Media share. D* hasn't added MRV yet, but hopefully soon. Then it will allow me to watch either DVR in the house on one tv. D* has great equipment for the most part, and the best service I have ever found. The only advice I give you is. Get what you want from the start. You will get a better deal as a new customer. Make sure you understand the work orders, and make sure the install is correctly done. Other than that enjoy!
 

· Legend
Joined
·
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is D* the same as DirectTV? :confused:

Being able to watch any of my DVR programs on either TV would be fantastic!!

Can you program it over the web or anything like that? Can you stream other content to it, or off it onto a different device?
 

· Legend
Joined
·
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
FHSPSU67 said:
I see good answers to your last question.
As far as getting Superfan for free, I would just offer to pay for SuperTicket when you are getting signed up, but only if SuperFan is included since you want the HD games. That's basically what I did, but no guarantees. I think you'll get it though!
:welcome_s
Maybe if I pay for the whole SuperFan package up front, as opposed to monthly, that would help. I might be able to swing that.
 

· Cool Member
Joined
·
10 Posts
ewto16 said:
Is D* the same as DirectTV? :confused:

Being able to watch any of my DVR programs on either TV would be fantastic!!

Can you program it over the web or anything like that? Can you stream other content to it, or off it onto a different device?
Yes, you can program it over the web from a computer or PDA, Blackberry, etc. including DirecTV on Demand.

Yes you can stream music, some video, and pictures to your DVR.
 

· Legend
Joined
·
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
jimht said:
I would read the installation guide for the satellite you're getting ahead of time even if you are using a professional installer.
How would that help me? What would be some of the things I want to look for?

My neighbor has a dish mounted on a pole in his yard. Should I have mine installed the same way, or on my house like seems typical?
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top