DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My setup:
Slimline 5 dish connected with all four lines to a Zinwell WB68 in the basement. Downstairs I have an HR20 (two tuners) and a D11. Upstairs I have 3 D11s, an R15 (two tuners), and an old TiVo (two tuners).

My problem:
I have upgraded the R15 to an HD DVR. I moved the R15 to another room (using only 1 tuner) and deactivated one of the upstairs D11s. I received an HR21 from D* and connected it myself. I got the "searching for signal on 2 message 771" error on all but my local HD channels. Since they didn't give me b-band converters, I figured that was the problem. Called D* and they confirmed that was the problem and sent out two BBCs.

When the BBCs arrived I connected them and still had the same problem. I called D* and they had me switch the cables on the tuners, switch the BBCs: no change. When testing the satellite set up, I get all zeros on sats 99 and 103. D* tells me the receiver must be bad and they send me another HR21.

I connect the new HR21. Same problem. Call D* and try the same things. The CSR says sending a third receiver won't fix this problem and she forwards me to case management. I gave the whole story to the woman from case management and she decides it’s probably the receiver, and in this case, a tech won't have to come out. I asked her if she could have an HR22 sent out this time.

The HR22 arrives and exhibits the same problem. Searching for signal on 2 message 771. Sats 99 and 103 all zeros. Another call to D* and this time a tech comes out. The tech arrives, does his thing and tells me it’s a cabling issue. Another cable needs to be run from the basement to the attic since there a second switch up there (Zinwell 3402) and that's a no-no for HDTV. Progress! But he can't run the cables since he's not qualified but he'll come back with someone who can, so we set up another appointment.

With the second appointment a completely different tech comes (by himself) looks at the problem. He tries to realign the dish to get a signal on 103(c) but nada. He comes to the conclusion that the HR22 is bad and I need a new one. "These HD DVRs are bad out of the box." he tells me. "I spend most of my day swapping out these boxes." At this point I was dubious of having a third defective receiver so I mentioned what his predecessor found. "No man, it’s the box." Umm, ok. He didn't have any in his van so he called D* to have yet another one sent out. On a whim I asked if they could send out an HR23. He said sure. Wow an HR23! Now that would be worth all the problems. I figured I'd have to be the first person on Earth to have one.

In the meantime, I wanted to eliminate that indeed the boxes could have been defective. So I brought the HR22 downstairs where the HR20 was and hooked it up. Of course it worked perfectly. Why didn't I do this earlier?! The next day what I hoped would be an HR23 arrived on the doorstep. It turned out to be a HR21PRO this time. Just as cool. Activated it and again, same problem.

I called case management again. Explained the whole thing. Told them what I thought the problem was, after all I had done a ton of research here. Asked if a SWM8 might be the answer, etc. The case management rep arraigned another service visit and told me she was committed to seeing my problem solved.

So... they are coming on Oct. 7. What do I need to do to make sure these guys do to solve the problem? Do I need a SWM8? Just a 6x16 multi-switch with more cable runs directly to the rooms upstairs? Or do I just have too many tuners period? I’m just a noob so I don’t know anything compared the experts here. Thanks for taking the time to read my book and any advice is greatly appreciated!

·
Mentor
30 Posts
It sounds to me like the switch in the attic is not allowing the 99 or 103 to pass. Direct lines to your receivers are the way to go, but if the correct switch was in the attic it can work as well. The SWM8 will support 16 tuners.

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
From what you are describing this is totally a multiswitch issue. You have ten or more tuners in total. All the tuners that need access to the 99/103 satellites need to be connected to the WB68, if you connect them to the 3402 you will only get the 101 satellite. I am not 100% sure from your description exactly what you have today, but I think you are saying you now have an HR21, an HR21, an HR15 with only one tuner active, some D11s and a two-tuner SD TiVo.

The solution will depend on what is where. First, to repeat, the HR20 and HR21 MUST be connected to a WB68 or WB616 multiswitch. If you connect them to the 3403 they will not work because they will not get 99/103. If you connect two cables from the WB68 to the 3403, which is I suspect what you have now, the SD receivers and DVRs can connect to the 3403 OK but NOT any of the HD boxes.

Let's take the obvious solution first. You have somewhere between 8 and 16 tuners, so you could install a WB616 and cable everything to the WB616 (or to two WB68s in parallel, giving you 16 connections). This will mean running a lot more cables. Or you could use a WB616, run four cables upstairs from the WB616and connect them to a WB68 which would give you 12 connections left downstairs and eight upstairs. More cables than you have now but not as many as connecting everything to the WB616. Or you could connect two WB68s in parallel, use wide-band power passing splitters on the cables from the dish and connect one set of four outputs to the downstairs WB68 and one set to the upstairs WB68, that would give you 8 outputs upstairs and 8 downstairs.
An SWM8 single-wire multiswitch is not really an option for you since most of your equipment is not SWM compatible.

The techs you have had so far do not sound very competent, except the one who told you your 3402 was the problem and that you had to run extra cables (but it sounds like even he did not think about the need for a larger multiswitch).
If you are unlucky you will get a tech on October 7th who still does not understand all of this.

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Beefcake said:
It sounds to me like the switch in the attic is not allowing the 99 or 103 to pass. Direct lines to your receivers are the way to go, but if the correct switch was in the attic it can work as well. The SWM8 will support 16 tuners.
No the SWM8 will support 8 SWM tuners plus three legacy tuners and the OP has four SWM tuners plus 6/7/8 legacy tuners.

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help texasbrit and beefcake. I had the WB68 in the basement replaced with a WB616 and ran two more lines up to the attic to eliminate the 3403. A WB68 in the attic was not necessary. I asked the tech to realign the dish since the previous tech realigned my 103(c) into the 30s and 40s. They are now the 80-90s and everything works great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.