DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Godfather
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across an interesting little Easter egg Monday night. There was a 2nd buffer active while not actually "recording".

I recorded MNF. I was watching local news on another channel at 10:00 CST. I used the TV's PIP to check the local ABC station (NOT via the HR-20). Still in my old mindset that MNF was an ABC program, I saw that the news was coming on the ABC channel and thought, "oh, the MNF game must be over... I'll stop recording and go back to watch it later." So I went to the VOD list and selected MNF "Pats @ Vikes", recording, and said "stop & Keep".

Well, a little later, I came to my senses and remembered that MNF is now on ESPN. Slightly ticked that I would miss some of the game, I switched from the local news I was watching (and had been this whole time, even up in the corner while on the list, probably the single greatest advantage this machine has over my HD TiVo) to ESPN. I thought, hmm, I wonder if I can back up to the point where I stopped the recording... tried it and I could! Now, I don't know if it would have still been there if I'd switched to local news and back again, but that tuner that had recorded MNF kept buffering ESPN for several minutes after I told it to stop recording. I wonder if NDS included that for such oopsies as mine... for example, if I failed to "pad" a sports recording that ran longer due to overtime, etc., that buffer could be "recorded" if you caught it in time.

If you're listening, D*, I still want dual live buffers. But this was a nice "save".:grin:

·
Godfather
304 Posts
KSbugeater said:
I came across an interesting little Easter egg Monday night. There was a 2nd buffer active while not actually "recording".

I recorded MNF. I was watching local news on another channel at 10:00 CST. I used the TV's PIP to check the local ABC station (NOT via the HR-20). Still in my old mindset that MNF was an ABC program, I saw that the news was coming on the ABC channel and thought, "oh, the MNF game must be over... I'll stop recording and go back to watch it later." So I went to the VOD list and selected MNF "Pats @ Vikes", recording, and said "stop & Keep".

Well, a little later, I came to my senses and remembered that MNF is now on ESPN. Slightly ticked that I would miss some of the game, I switched from the local news I was watching (and had been this whole time, even up in the corner while on the list, probably the single greatest advantage this machine has over my HD TiVo) to ESPN. I thought, hmm, I wonder if I can back up to the point where I stopped the recording... tried it and I could! Now, I don't know if it would have still been there if I'd switched to local news and back again, but that tuner that had recorded MNF kept buffering ESPN for several minutes after I told it to stop recording. I wonder if NDS included that for such oopsies as mine... for example, if I failed to "pad" a sports recording that ran longer due to overtime, etc., that buffer could be "recorded" if you caught it in time.

If you're listening, D*, I still want dual live buffers. But this was a nice "save".:grin:
I discovered this a while back, it's over in the Tips & Tricks thread:
http://www.dbstalk.com/showpost.php?p=672108&postcount=89

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.