DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Godfather
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had an installation at my new apartment yesterday.
Due to the location of my building, I was told beforehand that there might be problems pulling in a few channels.
I told him to go ahead with the install anyway because going with the cable company my apartment has just isn't an option.
All the channels seem to be coming in fine except for the channels in the 70's.
They are not coming in at all.
This is not that big of a deal to me because most of those channels (ESPN, HBO, Showtime) are mirrored on other channels anyway.
The only channel that I watched regularly was channel 79 (HDNet, I think) for the concerts on Sundays.
I'm at work right now so I don't have the signal numbers available.

My question is: What signal are these channels on and will any other channels potentially be affected down the line?

· Godfather
437 Posts
All of the channels are mirrored now, even HDNet. Looks like you lost 110 and 119, but most of the channels are being moved off those satellites eventually. You'll be fine, just as long as you don't have Spanish channels or locals there.

· Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
HDNet Movies = 552
HDNet = 306

Since some of the HD guide date comes of 119 you might loose that data if you are tuned too long to a HD channel from 99 or 103. So overnight leave your box on a conus SD channel like discovery so it can get the guide data from 101.

· Godfather
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ChrisPC said:
All of the channels are mirrored now, even HDNet. Looks like you lost 110 and 119, but most of the channels are being moved off those satellites eventually. You'll be fine, just as long as you don't have Spanish channels or locals there.
OK, that's good to hear.
Thanks.

Mertzen said:
HDNet Movies = 552
HDNet = 306

Since some of the HD guide date comes of 119 you might loose that data if you are tuned too long to a HD channel from 99 or 103. So overnight leave your box on a conus SD channel like discovery so it can get the guide data from 101.
Thanks for the response.
Channel 79 is HDNet, right?
I did not even know that it was being mirrored on another channel.
Well, that makes me feel a lot better. :)
I will try your tip sometime this week.
What specific channel should I leave the box on?
I don't need the TV to be on as well, right?

· Godfather
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Grentz said:
No, you do not need the TV on.

Tune to a national SD channel like discovery, G4, VH1, MTV, etc. Just make sure it is the SD version, not HD.
OK, thanks.
So I just need to do that once and I'm fine?
I forgot to ask about DVR capability.
Will that be effected any?

· Registered
5,915 Posts
No, you should do that regularly as guide data is constantly needing to be downloaded so you get the full 14 days of guide data (if you have a DVR, 7 if you have a normal receiver). It is normally downloaded late at night/early morning.

DVR capability should not be effected at all, just dont record on the channels you do not get obviously ;)

· Godfather
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Grentz said:
No, you should do that regularly as guide data is constantly needing to be downloaded so you get the full 14 days of guide data (if you have a DVR, 7 if you have a normal receiver). It is normally downloaded late at night/early morning.

DVR capability should not be effected at all, just dont record on the channels you do not get obviously ;)
Thanks to you and everyone for your help.

I feel a lot better now knowing I can get all the channels :hurah:

· Registered
5,915 Posts
No problem, thats what we are here for :)

The eventual upgrade/swap you will want to make if you dont want to worry about the guide data is to the Slimline 3 LNB. This is just the piece on the arm of the dish (it still works with your current dish) and sees only 99, 101, 103 instead of 99, 101, 103, 110, 119 like the Slimline 5 LNB.

Probably would be easiest to buy it separatly and install it yourself or have a local installer come out and do it if you could find one/dont want to do it yourself. It is not totally available yet, but should be in the coming months.

· Godfather
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Grentz said:
No problem, thats what we are here for :)

The eventual upgrade/swap you will want to make if you dont want to worry about the guide data is to the Slimline 3 LNB. This is just the piece on the arm of the dish (it still works with your current dish) and sees only 99, 101, 103 instead of 99, 101, 103, 110, 119 like the Slimline 5 LNB.

Probably would be easiest to buy it separatly and install it yourself or have a local installer come out and do it if you could find one/dont want to do it yourself. It is not totally available yet, but should be in the coming months.
So is this just an add-on for my Slimline 5 LNB dish or completely new dish?
Will it still be able to pull in all the HD channels?
Will D* provide one for me or MUST I pay for one?

· Registered
5,915 Posts
It is a replacement for the LNB assembly (the thing with 3 white caps at the end of the arm). It would still use the same dish.

Yes, you would still get all the HD, it just does not see 110 and 119 which are for locals in a few areas, the 70s channels that are going to be going away anyways, and soon to be for international programming packages.

It will most likely be something you would buy on your own. Probably around $100. Directv will start installing them, but they usually will not swap out current equipment for other customers.

· Godfather
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Grentz said:
It is a replacement for the LNB assembly (the thing with 3 white caps at the end of the arm). It would still use the same dish.

Yes, you would still get all the HD, it just does not see 110 and 119 which are for locals in a few areas, the 70s channels that are going to be going away anyways, and soon to be for international programming packages.

It will most likely be something you would buy on your own. Probably around $100. Directv will start installing them, but they usually will not swap out current equipment for other customers.
Hmm, so I think I may wait for them to become more common before buying one or asking D* to have it installed.
And just to be sure, the guide data is separate from shows listed for recording on my DVR, right?
So let's say I don't update the guide data, will that effect shows that are scheduled to be recorded?

· Hall Of Fame
1,056 Posts
If you are using a DVR, set up 2 short manual recordings to a SD national (like SciFi, USA, TWC, etc) for 2am. Tuner 1 is the one that counts and 2 manual recordings, set for the same time to a sat 101 signal, will do the trick.

· Godfather
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
techrep said:
If you are using a DVR, set up 2 short manual recordings to a SD national (like SciFi, USA, TWC, etc) for 2am. Tuner 1 is the one that counts and 2 manual recordings, set for the same time to a sat 101 signal, will do the trick.
I thought you couldn't record 2 different shows at the same time?

· Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
RVD26 said:
I thought you couldn't record 2 different shows at the same time?
If everything is set up correctly you can. Now what you can't do is record 2 and watch another live show. If you record 2 and want to watch at the same time it has to be one of the shows being recorder or a previously recorded shows.

· Godfather
297 Posts
Mertzen said:
I don't think this is true. I think others have confirmed a 3rd tuner in the HD DVRs which is specifically for guide data.

· Hall Of Fame
1,056 Posts
Ok sorry, I should have asked, what receiver do you have?

How many cables are connected from the dish?

· Godfather
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
techrep said:
Ok sorry, I should have asked, what receiver do you have?

How many cables are connected from the dish?
I have an HD DVR receiver in the living room and an HD receiver in the bedroom
I think there are 2 cables (I'm at work right now) connected from the dish

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,573 Posts
If you're not getting all of the satellites, you need to let DIRECTV know. The installers aren't supposed to leave you half way set up. While you may be able to work around the problem, you shouldn't have to.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.