DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far i am off to a bad start with direct tv. I have been with dish since around 95 - 96 and thought it was time for a change so i thought i would give direct a try (had comcast and will never go back). So i called tuesday night and talked to a nice csr (was also nice that i was able to understand her) told her what i wanted was looking for an HMC HR34 and 4 hd recievers. After she put the info in her system she said ok it will cost you x i said how much will it cost to replace on of the hd recievers with an HD DVR? After a few mins she came back on and said that she could do the complete install for free! I said wow that sounds great she even said that she had her supervisor check to make sure that it was right. Still amazed i said ok lets do it. After she put me on hold for a few mins came back on and said oops i cant do that i made a mistake entering the info when i said that it would be completely free. I said fine lets go with the original plan with the hmc and 4 hd recievers and after everything was all set we set up an apointment for today. At 8:05 am the installer shows up and informs me that he cant do the install because they dont have any HMC recievers and that they had to go searching for one for an install yesterday. My issue isnt with the csr mistake what i dont understand is why they would set up apointments if they dont have the equipment or at least call and let you know that it cant be done.

· DaBears
5,992 Posts
Well I can't speak for anyone but here's what I can explain somewhat.

The people who place the orders won't have any idea of local inventor levels. The installer probably got your job and then started trying to track down a HMC if they didn't have one in the warehouse. After no one found one for him in the morning he just showed up to explain it to you rather than just call and say reschedule. He was probably hoping that someone called him while he was en route to you.

· Registered
180 Posts
fredw007 said:
So far i am off to a bad start with direct tv. I have been with dish since around 95 - 96 and thought it was time for a change so i thought i would give direct a try (had comcast and will never go back). So i called tuesday night and talked to a nice csr (was also nice that i was able to understand her) told her what i wanted was looking for an HMC HR34 and 4 hd recievers. After she put the info in her system she said ok it will cost you x i said how much will it cost to replace on of the hd recievers with an HD DVR? After a few mins she came back on and said that she could do the complete install for free! I said wow that sounds great she even said that she had her supervisor check to make sure that it was right. Still amazed i said ok lets do it. After she put me on hold for a few mins came back on and said oops i cant do that i made a mistake entering the info when i said that it would be completely free. I said fine lets go with the original plan with the hmc and 4 hd recievers and after everything was all set we set up an apointment for today. At 8:05 am the installer shows up and informs me that he cant do the install because they dont have any HMC recievers and that they had to go searching for one for an install yesterday. My issue isnt with the csr mistake what i dont understand is why they would set up apointments if they dont have the equipment or at least call and let you know that it cant be done.
This has to do with Directv's stupid plan for subcontractors in Michigan. There is only one subcontractor that covers the entire state. The employes only go back to head quarters, which is in Mount Pleasant, on Wednesday mornings for meetings and to stock up for the entire week. If the employee doesn't have what he needs for the job during the week, and he can't get it from a buddy in the field, he is plumb out of luck until the next Wednesday. Even then it might not be in the subcontractor's warehouse. It is a very dumb plan and I personally have gone round and round with Directv corporate over this many times, but they do not care. Directv is all about the bean counters now. Technically, there is no Directv in Michigan. The entire state is owned and operated by one company/subcontractor. Some of his employees are excellent and others don't know which end of a screwdriver to use. Most of the time I do the work myself and just sign the paper that he was here. I love Directv but it is a real disgrace what they have done to Michigan. I have been with Directv for about 12 years now and you just learn to work around the mess if you like and want your Directv.

BTW, I do have an HR34 but I had to fight for a week with retention and corporate to get it and was lied to several times during the process. Like I said, I am a 12 year customer and have the Premier programing package as well. I also have gotten them customers through the referral plan. Don't get me wrong, I do still love my Directv but it has changed greatly from the hobby satellite company for geeks it started out as to the profit above all else that it is now.

· Godfather
504 Posts
fredw007 said:
So far i am off to a bad start with direct tv. I have been with dish since around 95 - 96 and thought it was time for a change so i thought i would give direct a try (had comcast and will never go back). So i called tuesday night and talked to a nice csr (was also nice that i was able to understand her) told her what i wanted was looking for an HMC HR34 and 4 hd recievers..
My understanding is that new customers get one HDVR and three HD receivers for free. The HR34 upgrade is $99.00 Either way, you have to pay for the extra HD receiver, or for the extra HDVR. It appears to be cheaper paying $99.00 for the extra HD receiver than $199.00 for the extra HDVR. I don't understand how the CR thought it would be free.

8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just got off the phone with Direct to put the install on hold for a week or 2 i can only be home for the install on weekend. When i advised that the installer said he did not have the equipment he said there was a note on the order that there was no line of sight! Total bs there are trees around the house but i have had 3 different dish network dish's 1-dish 500, 1- dish 1000+ both pointing at 110, 118 & 119 and also an eastern arch dish with no los issues. So the installer is lying to one of us.

· Geek til I die
9,822 Posts
Directv satellites are 1/2 way between dish's. Its totally possible to be able to get both Dish arcs but not DirecTv. Also quite possible he just put that on the order so he would be paid for the trip. I thought it was rather strange he would actually come to your house for the install knowing he did not have the HR34, rather than calling you to tell you he didnt have it.

· Registered
180 Posts
fredw007 said:
Just got off the phone with Direct to put the install on hold for a week or 2 i can only be home for the install on weekend. When i advised that the installer said he did not have the equipment he said there was a note on the order that there was no line of sight! Total bs there are trees around the house but i have had 3 different dish network dish's 1-dish 500, 1- dish 1000+ both pointing at 110, 118 & 119 and also an eastern arch dish with no los issues. So the installer is lying to one of us.
Welcome to Michigan's nightmare. Just a tip on how to play this game. Tell them you want a supervisor of the subcontractor's to come out and explain to you personally why this install is so difficult. Tell Directv you will not accept a phone call from the subcontractor as you want to know exactly what is in the way and have a supervisor mark it so that you can have it moved. My guess is that when you fly that it will suddenly be possible to install the Directv dish with no problems. Weekend installations should not be a problem as they work both Saturday and Sunday in Michigan.

8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I had an installer who just did not want to do the install. I have a 2 story house and dish needs to go on the roof. He told me where it would have to go and kept saying it was going to be a difficult install.

· Registered
180 Posts
fredw007 said:
I think I had an installer who just did not want to do the install. I have a 2 story house and dish needs to go on the roof. He told me where it would have to go and kept saying it was going to be a difficult install.
Just a suggestion on that living in Michigan like you. If you can avoid installing the dish on the roof of a two story you might want to. Sure is a pain to climb up there in the winter to brush the snow off of the dish or to realign it. Those are just two of the reasons I had my dish installed on a short pole instead of my roof.

· Godfather
806 Posts
Every time I read a thread like this I wonder why, after all these years, D* still hasn't gotten it's shxx together!

If FedEx, UPS, DHL, USPS, etc, etc. knows exactly where every single box is at any given moment why can't D*?

Many stores have inventory systems smarter than these morons. When they sell something they scan the barcode and that serial number is "marked" as gone. Apple scans from an iPhone/iPodTouch no less.

The D* defenders keep telling us how successful D* is as a company. $27B+ revenue and they are still this incompetent?

· Registered
180 Posts
unixguru said:
Every time I read a thread like this I wonder why, after all these years, D* still hasn't gotten it's shxx together!

If FedEx, UPS, DHL, USPS, etc, etc. knows exactly where every single box is at any given moment why can't D*?

Many stores have inventory systems smarter than these morons. When they sell something they scan the barcode and that serial number is "marked" as gone. Apple scans from an iPhone/iPodTouch no less.

The D* defenders keep telling us how successful D* is as a company. $27B+ revenue and they are still this incompetent?
While you are exactly right for the most part the problem comes in when you throw the many subcontracts into the mix. Directv really has no idea how the many subcontractors in the field are operating nor do they really want to know. The whole thing could be solved if the bean counters at Directv now would quit trying to hire the cheapest labor by using subcontractors, bring all of Directv subcontractor employees in house, and pay them a living wage. I, for one, would be willing to pay a little more for my Directv if they would do that. But I want that "little more" to go to the employees in the field and not the CEO or the Directv share holders.

· Godfather
806 Posts
macfan601 said:
While you are exactly right for the most part the problem comes in when you throw the many subcontracts into the mix. Directv really has no idea how the many subcontractors in the field are operating nor do they really want to know. The whole thing could be solved if the bean counters at Directv now would quit trying to hire the cheapest labor by using subcontractors, bring all of Directv subcontractor employees in house, and pay them a living wage. I, for one, would be willing to pay a little more for my Directv if they would do that. But I want that "little more" to go to the employees in the field and not the CEO or the Directv share holders.
There is no reason that D* can't control the subcontractors better. No different than any other franchise. In fast food you have the same store "look", signs, menu, food, etc; probably even the equipment (specs if not brand/model).

I had an installer in my house a month ago. He used a "smart phone" to activate the receiver, etc, etc. No reason it couldn't have a barcode scanner. I'm certain D* is controlling exactly what that smart phone is.

The installer had a trainee with him. Who made some comment about the money being "good" or so he heard.

Installers could be paid even more if D* was utilizing them efficiently. Sending them to my house to plug in an HR34 was just stupid.

8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Going to give it another try. Have an install set for sat morning. Hopefully it goes smoother this time. Never did hear from a supervisor, but supposedly he did stop by yesterday. So we shall see. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks to everyone for their input.

8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Things went much smoother yesterday the installer was here right at 8 am i explained to him what had happened last week, and he checked and said line of sight is not a problem. He looked around the house and found a perfect spot for the dish. He said he thinks the first guy did not want to do the install because he had to run 4 lines from the dish although it did take some time to set up he had no problem. Once he had the dish up i showed him where i wanted the spliter and switch, i had run new coax to a central location in the basement. The install did take some time but he did a very good job. Of all the installs i have had done with Dish i think this one was the best. So far i am liking Direct tv. It is taking some time to get used to some of the functions are different ane some are missing compared to Dish's dvrs. Very nice job by the installer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.