DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During the summer of 2009 I decided to change from cable because of the very poor customer service and started researching changing to satellite. I was leaning toward another company when I received a sales solicitation call from Dish Network. I'm not sure wether it was corporate or the local reseller. I was interested in an HD DVR for my main room and was informed of a product called the ViP922 SlingLoaded DVR. I work in sports and entertainment industry and this product sounded perfect for both personal and business use. I agreed to order the product and set up the installation. Then much to my surprise the installer informed me the 922 is not even released yet and I would have to settle for the 722 model. I immediately called to cancel. I was assured that if I continue the installation and sign a contract I would be able to trade out the current 722 for the 922 at "no additional cost". I agreed and allowed the installation to continue. Then before installation was complete I discovered another false claim this time about the 722 and called Dish Network back. The problem was resolved and I was once again assured I would receive an upgrade to the 922 with no problem and to check back in October. On October 8th I called back into Dish Network to find out if the box was released. I was told another estimated released date and became frustrated and was transfered to another agent named Terry, Operator W28. I was told to keep checking back every month or so and once again assured "customer was told he would receive 922 at no additional cost". I have since called sporadically and each time informed the agent of my situation only to be assured I will have it soon to keep checking. Finally the product I was sold and continually assured I would receive at no cost, the product I was promised in order to continue the installation, has been released. I call to have the exchange set up and am informed for the first time during this 9 month process that I can upgrade but at a charge of $400. Now I am being told they can not find any documentation in my account I would receive it at "no additional cost". Then I am told they found it but that the notation means something else and then I was given a few different excuses including "well maybe the agent was just simply repeating what you were saying". Now the story has changed to "well maybe you were told that, but we can not waive the fee regardless". This is unacceptable and illegal, this is bait & switch and false advertisement. Even though I was told I would receive the upgrade at "no additional cost" two different times in order to talk me into continuing the installation and confirmed later by an additional agent and never contradicted by multiple agent until the release I am now told "we will not be able to help you". I am not simply trying to get something for free, first off I would just like the product I was promised almost a year ago, secondly I would simply like Dish Network to obey the terms they agreed to before I continued the installation. It is not right that I have to hold up my end of the contract but they can disregard a documented agreement simply because "I shouldn't have been told that".

·
Hall Of Fame
3,236 Posts
You need to find the Reseller who you made the deal with.
Dish CSR's wouldn't have even discussed the ViP922 with you or anybody until just recently, other than to say they don't no much about it.

·
Hall Of Fame
15,561 Posts
:welcome_s

Unfortunately, Dish has had to sue and "fire" resellers that defrauded customers.

If while doing your research had you come to this forum, you would have been told that the promise being made simply could not be kept. In fact, at that time I would have said to you, and did say to others, the 922 was still vaporware and might never be released.

·
Godfather
264 Posts
10.5 months ago, I called inquiring about the 922, which was supposed to be coming any day at that point.
My stepson was moving back home with his new hdtv and wanted a receiver of his own. I was hesitant to order the 722K, as I didn't want to have to wait another year to be eligible for an upgrade to the 922.
After talking to several people, including a Customer loyalty supervisor, I was assured a "note" had been placed in my account which would allow me to upgrade to the 922 "as soon as it's available" for the lowest available price, which they said would be at most $199.00.
I went ahead and had the 722k installed and moved our old 622 to my stepson's room.
Today, when i called to order the 922, I was told (first by a CSR, then by a supervisor, and thirdly by a customer loyalty supervisor) that they did indeed see the note on my account, but "policies changed in February" and they would no longer be able to fulfill their promise. I asked them to cancel my account immediately, and they said, "wait, let us try one more thing. I was then transferred to a person in the "Dish Executive Offices" who told me the same thing. I asked him to cancel my account as well. He said "Why? It's like when you get a new cell phone, you have to wait at least a year to get a new one." I said "It's like leasing a car. If you tell me at lease, I can drive 15000 miles a year, and six months later, change your policy and say 'Sorry, now you can only drive 100 miles a year', the point is any business should stand by their word".
I told him that since I had been a premium service subscriber for over 10 years (never a late payment), I didn't want to be lied to and would just like to cancel my service. He then told me that his supervisor should be able to override the system and get me a 922 for the promised price. however, he would have to email him for approval. He gave me his number and extension, but when i try it, the only option is to leave a message.
Cesar Garza, Dish Executive Offices is a liar.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,457 Posts
Lesson learned: If you can't get what you want when you sign up, don't sign up.

Secondary lesson learned: NEVER press CSRs for information about products that aren't available. They're typically not 100% with the products that are released and anything they know about unreleased products probably comes from customers who may or may not know what they're talking about.

These lessons apply to just about everything.

·
DaBears
6,085 Posts
zer0cool said:
10.5 months ago, I called inquiring about the 922, which was supposed to be coming any day at that point.
My stepson was moving back home with his new hdtv and wanted a receiver of his own. I was hesitant to order the 722K, as I didn't want to have to wait another year to be eligible for an upgrade to the 922.
After talking to several people, including a Customer loyalty supervisor, I was assured a "note" had been placed in my account which would allow me to upgrade to the 922 "as soon as it's available" for the lowest available price, which they said would be at most $199.00.
I went ahead and had the 722k installed and moved our old 622 to my stepson's room.
Today, when i called to order the 922, I was told (first by a CSR, then by a supervisor, and thirdly by a customer loyalty supervisor) that they did indeed see the note on my account, but "policies changed in February" and they would no longer be able to fulfill their promise. I asked them to cancel my account immediately, and they said, "wait, let us try one more thing. I was then transferred to a person in the "Dish Executive Offices" who told me the same thing. I asked him to cancel my account as well. He said "Why? It's like when you get a new cell phone, you have to wait at least a year to get a new one." I said "It's like leasing a car. If you tell me at lease, I can drive 15000 miles a year, and six months later, change your policy and say 'Sorry, now you can only drive 100 miles a year', the point is any business should stand by their word".
I told him that since I had been a premium service subscriber for over 10 years (never a late payment), I didn't want to be lied to and would just like to cancel my service. He then told me that his supervisor should be able to override the system and get me a 922 for the promised price. however, he would have to email him for approval. He gave me his number and extension, but when i try it, the only option is to leave a message.
Have you left a voice mail? It's not uncommon for agents in these departments of any company to go off a VM to ensure it's an issue they deal with rather than someone who feels regular CS is stupid and they just want to change their package. If you have and haven't gotten a reply a quick search here would help you find an email address to get back in contact with that department.

·
Godfather
264 Posts
Yep, actually got another person in the same group.
Neither is very helpful though.
got an opnline chat supervisor on right now.
After first denying any note in my account, he finally said 'Yes i do see a note from 5/28/2009 regarding allowing you to upgrade to the 922'. Possible progress!

·
Hall Of Fame
15,561 Posts
zer0cool said:
In your case it is likely they will override the one-year-rule.

If you don't get results on the phone, send a polite email to [email protected] explaining what you were promised, what the CSR people said about the note on your account (omit the discussion with Mr. Garza), what your are requesting, and include the phone number associated with the account and your daytime phone number. It is extremely likely someone will respond to you with the results you want within a week.

Keep in mind that they will likely have to fool around with their own computer system. One time I wanted to add a ViP612 to replace two 508's eleven months after I upgraded to HD (getting a 722) by sending me the 612 in a box. The woman could order a 612 for me but could not get around the computer insisting on an install. She had to credit me the cost of the install. The installer arrived, I installed it, he did the setup through Dish, then we watched TV and had a soft drink for about an hour. Such is life.;)

·
Hall Of Fame
3,236 Posts
zer0cool said:
Yep, actually got another person in the same group.
Neither is very helpful though.
got an opnline chat supervisor on right now.
After first denying any note in my account, he finally said 'Yes i do see a note from 5/28/2009 regarding allowing you to upgrade to the 922'. Possible progress!
I think pushing hard, and hanging onto that 5/28/09 note like a pitbull and a rare steak. Pushing to get the 922 at the lower upgrade price is reasonable, if the rest of the facts are correct. I had a similar issue with the 811/211. Kind of a reverse thing, orderd the 811 in Nov, come Feb the 811 still hadn't arrived, and then I found out the 811 was going to be a dead weight and was going to finally be arriving. I had to fight hard to be able to return the 811 to get the 211, at no extra cost to me. In 3 months of fighting to get a product I paid for, nobody bothered to tell me that new product was coming out. The week of the 211 launch the ARSE holes actually shipped the 811 to me. It worked out in the end, but there were lots of angry phone calls, and recorded calls on my part.

·
Godfather
264 Posts
Finally, after keeping record of the Chat where they actually found the note, and calling back to the Executive retention department, my 922 order is in!
Spent my entire commute home from work on the phone (luckily my car stereo connects my phone via bluetooth). They offered to set up my install tomorrow, but I put it off until Saturday morning.
As an unexpected bonus, they told me since My 722K was connected to two TVs, I had the option of adding the 922 as a third DVR (I thought you could only lease two). So the 622 will stay on my Stepsons HDTV, with the living room SDTV as its TV2. The 722K will move to our bedroom and its HDTV.
The 922 will go in the home theater room. Once the Multi-room extender is available, i could return the 722, but i'll probably keep it and just pick up the WiFi monitor. That way everyone can watch what they want, and I can sling away from wherever I am.

·
Godfather
264 Posts
I was completely in the right. Granted, Dish would have been well within their rights 11 months ago to tell me if I needed to add a DVR receiver to my account at that time, I would not be eligible to get a 922 when it became available until the standard upgrade eligibility time period (12 months) had passed.
If they had done so, I would have to have made the decision to either add the 722K, or just stick with my 622, and tell my stepson he would be SOL until the 922 became available.
However, since Dish made me a guarantee (which I verified three levels up the chain of command) that I would be able to upgrade to the 922 as soon as it was released, I went ahead and added the 722K. Dish expects me to fulfill my commitment to them (they'd charge me a fee if I canceled my service mid-contract). I fully expect them to honor their word as well.

·
Super Moderator
53,492 Posts
Your word to them was in writing ... there word to you was barely noted.
Verbal agreements are worth the paper they are printed on.

That being said, it is unfortunate that the CSRs misstated the policy.

·
Hall Of Fame
15,561 Posts
zer0cool said:
Finally, after keeping record of the Chat where they actually found the note, and calling back to the Executive retention department, my 922 order is in!
The Executive Office folks usually come through regarding things outside the "norm" if you are polite, are a good customer, are reasonable, and have some logical rationale for you what you want.

"That's what I want" or some variation on that theme is not a logical rationale. "That's what Dish's policy should be" or some variation on that theme is not a logical rationale. "A CSR hurt my feelings" or some variation on that theme is not a logical rationale.

·
Super Moderator
53,492 Posts
phrelin said:
The Executive Office folks usually come through regarding things outside the "norm" if you are polite, are a good customer, are reasonable, and have some logical rationale for you what you want.
It likely helped that 11 months is close to 12 months. When you're close to the end of a commitment and committing to another 24 months it is easier for DISH to make a deal.

·
Hall Of Fame
15,561 Posts
James Long said:
It likely helped that 11 months is close to 12 months. When you're close to the end of a commitment and committing to another 24 months it is easier for DISH to make a deal.
Yes, that is part of being "reasonable." I was at 10½ months when I had to talk them into replacing my two 508's by adding a 612 to my 722. But a CSR or even a supervisor can't do that kind of thing and there is no reason to get too upset about it. Rules shouldn't be bent by anyone who is not trained to and experienced in making judgment calls related to the big-picture best interest of the company.

There are many companies, however, that you can't contact anyone who is able to do that. I've been amazed that Dish has this "last resort" option.

·
Godfather
264 Posts
James Long said:
Your word to them was in writing ... there word to you was barely noted.
Verbal agreements are worth the paper they are printed on.

That being said, it is unfortunate that the CSRs misstated the policy.
Actually, it was "in writing". There was a note placed in my account internally on 5/28/2009. I had three people verify it was there on that day and kept a record of their names and date/times. Once someone actually bothered to look, they found the note and I got my 922 ordered.

And according to the reps I spoke with yesterday, they didn't misstate the policy at the time, they changed the policy in February of 2010.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,984 Posts
zer0cool said:
And according to the reps I spoke with yesterday, they didn't misstate the policy at the time, they changed the policy in February of 2010.
That happens. People can get a receiver moved for $15 now instead of $99. Policies change all the time.

·
Super Moderator
53,492 Posts
zer0cool said:
Actually, it was "in writing". There was a note placed in my account internally on 5/28/2009. I had three people verify it was there on that day and kept a record of their names and date/times. Once someone actually bothered to look, they found the note and I got my 922 ordered.
A note on your account is still risky. Unless you have a copy of that note it is as easy for DISH to lose as it was to add it in. Plus reading their TOS it explicitly states "No salesperson, installer, customer service representative, authorized retailer, or other similarly situated individual is authorized to change or override this Agreement."

Real writing, in your hand, is the only way to be sure.

zer0cool said:
Unfortunately that is also covered in the TOS where they can change their policies at any time.

I'm glad it worked out for you.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.