DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
AllStar
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Questions are at the end. Those that don't want to hear an install/setup rant can just skip to the bottom.

So, I called D* to see about getting an HR20. Haggled a little bit, got a decent deal, so I went ahead and scheduled an install for 8-12 on 11/11/06 (a Saturday). No call in the morning, so I call D* about 11. They call the install company to see what's up. Turns out the local company is Apex, and no installer called or came out because "none of them showed up to work today". Strike one.

Rescheduled for 8/12 on 11/20 (a Monday, but I just happen to be on vacation this week). Called on Friday to be sure I'm on the schedule. With no call as of 9:30 on Monday morning I get a little more proactive and called Apex. They called the installer who said he was "waiting on equipment" and that he would call me right away. No call, but at 10:30 he shows up (hooray?). Despite choppy English skills (his), we get going. My brother has done this for a living and I helped him on this house, so I really could have done it myself, but didn't want to since I wasn't sure the equipment would work on the first try. Installer puts up new dish (left old one and wires and packing all over yard around the house). Is going to use the same 3 cables I had from the previous dish, then lo and behold discovers the box isn't getting all the satellite signals. Takes almost an hour to run a new wire from the dish, 15' along the outside of the house, through the wall, and into the multiswitch inside. We finally get the unit plugged in, and D* can't seem to activate the HD channels for me. They'll call me back in 24-48 hours.

Hooked up via HDMI to a Mitsubishi WD52725. While the installer was there, tried pause, ff, etc, and all seemed to be working. Tried a recording. Appeared to be working. Let installer go (noted no HD channels on paperwork) and took wife to lunch (she had been waiting a while and gets mean when she's hungry).

Come back, can't record anything. It shows recording, but nothing happens when I try to play. Can't pause, rew, ff or anything for live TV. Screen locks up and have to hit Previous to change channels then go back to the one I wanted. As soon as I try a DVR function, machine locks up again. Also, no Dolby Digital, just L/R audio. Software version OXEF.

Had to watch Heroes via OTA antenna (not a happy camper considering I've had TIVO for 5 years). Turned to the trusty forum for ideas, and decided I'd try a reboot and composite wiring in the morning. Went to be fuming, planning D*'s long, painful, bloody demise in my fantasy.

Got up in the morning, rewired the whole shebang (composite, optical audio direct to the receiver) and tried it out. Still no DVR functionality. Hit the red button. Now, apparently, everything works fine (at least it has all day) except for still no HD channels (I get the locals, just not HDNet, DiscoveryHD, etc).

Planning on calling D* mid-morning tomorrow to complain about the mess the installer left and the fact that my HD channels still aren't coming in. As far as functionality, if you never had a TIVO, this would be passable. Not a great user interface, but workable. However, I thank the Creator that my wife doesn't have to switch to this. If I got rid of her HDVR2 TIVO (particularly the ability to switch EASILY between tuners) and made her start using this, she would make my life a miserable nightmare.

Sorry for the rant, now for the questions:
- Is the mess left by the installer "normal"?
- I know others have had issues with bad recordings, but anyone else not able to get their HD channels activated?
- I get local HD via OTA as well as the dish. When the unit is activated to take the antenna feed, what benefits will there be?
- Installer didn't put in a 6x8 multiswitch, just ran 4 cables from the dish, 2 to each of my boxes (the HR20 and HDVR2). Will this be a problem or only if I want to add another box later?

Thanks very much to Earl and everyone else here. The info on this forum is invaluable, along with the operating tips.

·
Super Moderator
12,884 Posts
I skipped the rant.

The mess - depends on the installer. It should NOT have happened.

Can't comment on bad recordings, don't have an HR20.

The benefit of OTA on the HR20 is being able to record an OTA feed, and to be able to use trick play features with OTA.

Lack of multiswitch will only be a problem if you add another receiver. You should be okay without it in your current configuration.

Carl

·
Hall Of Fame
1,137 Posts
Seems like the either the HD package wasnt added to your acct so call and get ti added

·
AllStar
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
naijai said:
Seems like the either the HD package wasnt added to your acct so call and get ti added
Both the technician and I talked to Customer Service at the time. They knew I was supposed to have it and tried to activate it, but the system wouldn't take it. They're supposed to call me back when it's resolved, but I'm not holding my breath. I'll call them back myself this afternoon to try to get it resolved before the holiday.

·
AllStar
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just called, the CSR was able to add it instantly with no problem. Sheesh....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.