DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Cool Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm getting a "Searching for satellite signal... (771)" on several HD channels, using the AU9 Slimline Dish. This has happened at various times through the summer and I've been on the roof twice now doing a realignment, but it seems like every time I do it, the dish moves enough that I have to go up and do it again 30 days later. I'd like to get it right before the snow comes up.

The channels that I can't get include the following:

Is there somewhere that I can find out what satellite these channels are broadcasting on? Any tips on what I might be doing wrong on the realignment? I'm about ready to call the pros again and have them do it, but I'd prefer to save some $$$ and try it one more time myself.

Thanks!

·
1,481 Posts
SheetzBros said:
Hello,

I'm getting a "Searching for satellite signal... (771)" on several HD channels, using the AU9 Slimline Dish. This has happened at various times through the summer and I've been on the roof twice now doing a realignment, but it seems like every time I do it, the dish moves enough that I have to go up and do it again 30 days later. I'd like to get it right before the snow comes up.

The channels that I can't get include the following:

Is there somewhere that I can find out what satellite these channels are broadcasting on? Any tips on what I might be doing wrong on the realignment? I'm about ready to call the pros again and have them do it, but I'd prefer to save some $$$ and try it one more time myself.

Thanks!
The new mpeg4 hd channels come from 99 and 103. What are your signal levels on those two sats? Does your dish have the monopoles installed? Have you checked all of your connections?

·
Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
If you have monopoles use self tapping screws to secure them to the mast. The clamp of the monopoles gets loose after a while. Make sure each monopole has 2 lag bolts and the main mast has six. Make sure all bolts on the ODU are properly tightened.

·
Cool Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On 103(a), I'm getting about 25 percent signal strength on transponder 1, 80% on transponder 2, 0% on transponder 3,

On 103(b) - 50% on trans. 1, 0% on trans. 2, 50%, on trans. 3.

On 99(a)- I'm getting at least 65% on all transponders

On 99(b) - On 35% on trans. 1, and about 40 - 60 % on the rest of them.

What are monopoles? My setup has the dish on one main mast, and then one supporting pole connects it to the slanted roof as a support.

Are those signal numbers extremelly low? What should I be shooting for?

Thanks again for the quick feedback.

·
Icon
810 Posts
Those signals seem quite low.

Don't know if you can take a picture of the dish mount and post it - but that would be helpful.

It's helpful to post the whole display for a satellite like this (these are my 103(c) signals on an HR20) - sometimes seeing a pattern of either odd or even transponders all being zero is useful:

1-8: 95 91 93 86 90 85 88 84
-16: 90 83 87 83 89 81 NA NA

·
Hall Of Fame
8,969 Posts
"Monopoles" = support poles. You should have 2 on your dish, set at a 90 degree angle, to prevent movement of the main mast in either direction.

If your dish is mounted on your roof, there's a good chance that the bolts that hold the mast foot to the roof aren't hitting a rafter stud, but are just screwed into the plywood under the shingles. In strong wind, especially without both support poles, the dish can be pulled right off your roof, leaving some nice holes.

Now, finding the rafter under the roof isn't always easy to do, but it is important. Ideally, the center two bolts on the foot should be screwed into the rafter, with 4 more bolts on the outer 4 corners. Two more bolts on each support pole. Bishop tape or Henry's roof tar (or an equivalent asphault-based sealant) should be used to seal the bolts. The pole needs to be plumb or aiming the dish is much more difficult.

My techs are *never* allowed to do a roof mount over the living space; roof mounts are only allowed on the overhang, so there's no possibility of a leak getting into the living space.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,056 Posts
SheetzBros said:
On 103(a), I'm getting about 25 percent signal strength on transponder 1, 80% on transponder 2, 0% on transponder 3,

On 103(b) - 50% on trans. 1, 0% on trans. 2, 50%, on trans. 3.

On 99(a)- I'm getting at least 65% on all transponders

On 99(b) - On 35% on trans. 1, and about 40 - 60 % on the rest of them.

What are monopoles? My setup has the dish on one main mast, and then one supporting pole connects it to the slanted roof as a support.

Are those signal numbers extremelly low? What should I be shooting for?

Thanks again for the quick feedback.
Just based on this information you need alignment. Using your receiver signal strength meter, adjust your elevation until you peak sat 99b. You should be able to get 99b into the mid 80's or higher. This will also increase your 103 numbers.

Make sure that the mast is secure (not loose and all bolts snug) before you tweak.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.