DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Legend
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having been a customer for 12+ years I would expect a little better treatment. I upgraded to HD in November and unlike many who have posted here, I did not receive any receivers for free or discounted. I was told I needed to go to Best Buy and get them myself, which was fine. Directv sent an installer to change the dish since we had our original that we purchased from Sears. The installer showed up just as it was getting dark and snowing. He installed the dish and one receiver HD DVR. He informed me that it now required 2 cables to connect. It was dark and he said that he could see to run the second cable to our 2nd receiver that we told him we were also going to upgrade. He said we could call Directv and they would schedule to come out when we were ready and they would complete the cabling for the 2nd HD DVR. I called yesterday to schedule it and was told that I would have to pay for the install plus $199 for the DVR + shipping. I would expect to pay for my equipment, but would expect the $99 price that others have paid (or free) who have not even been a customer as long as I have been. But charging me for an install they didn't complete just doesn't seem right.

As a note I have never received anything FREE from Directv so it is a little concerning when I have paid full price for everything over the years. Don't really feel like it matters to them to have loyal customers.

· AllStar
62 Posts
CATCRAW said:
Having been a customer for 12+ years I would expect a little better treatment. I upgraded to HD in November and unlike many who have posted here, I did not receive any receivers for free or discounted. I was told I needed to go to Best Buy and get them myself, which was fine. Directv sent an installer to change the dish since we had our original that we purchased from Sears. The installer showed up just as it was getting dark and snowing. He installed the dish and one receiver HD DVR. He informed me that it now required 2 cables to connect. It was dark and he said that he could see to run the second cable to our 2nd receiver that we told him we were also going to upgrade. He said we could call Directv and they would schedule to come out when we were ready and they would complete the cabling for the 2nd HD DVR. I called yesterday to schedule it and was told that I would have to pay for the install plus $199 for the DVR + shipping. I would expect to pay for my equipment, but would expect the $99 price that others have paid (or free) who have not even been a customer as long as I have been. But charging me for an install they didn't complete just doesn't seem right.

As a note I have never received anything FREE from Directv so it is a little concerning when I have paid full price for everything over the years. Don't really feel like it matters to them to have loyal customers.
Well it sounds like you have never asked for anything. By the way you wrote this post it sounds like the rep tells you a price and you accept it. When you call them you need to tell them I want everything for free, the cable company has such and such deal going on. Why the hell do you expect to get something for free when you "I would expect to pay for my equipment"?

· Registered
5,915 Posts
Sounds like you accepted the soft sell both times. Usually the reps will come out with their standard rates first, and if you agree to them that is what you pay.

If you are nice though, and simply mention some other offers or maybe just that you are a long term customer, etc. (all explained nicely!) the reps tend to move into hard sell mode where the offers will start coming out.

This of course depends on your account standing, etc. depending on what offers you will get, but usually it is a bit better than the standard rates for long term customers.

· Superfly
4,572 Posts
I have never gotten anything free, either, and I'm a long term subscriber, too. I didn't even get my own ***** thread. :(

Wait, I take that back. I got my Slimline dish for free. I didn't pay for that, or for it being mounted. I ran all my own wires. And when I got my HR20-700, it cost me $299 plus another $79 because I contracted my own installer. I knew he'd do a terrific job. I was right.

I still think I deserve my own ***** thread.

· Hall Of Fame
1,056 Posts
I have always bought and owned my equipment until recently. I asked DirecTV for 2 HR21's and, they sent them to me free of charge.

· Legend
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CATCRAW said:

You are all right - I have not asked for anything FREE - I am a business person as well and we are all just trying to survive in this competitive business world. I guess I just expected them to finish the job they committed to.

To Directv's credit, they called me today and apoligized for the miscommunication. It seems they do care about their customers and they are rectifying the situation to my satisfaction. There is customer service after all and some folks at Directv who do care!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.