Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
6,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Squeezed Signals Mean Some HDTV Customers Aren't Happy With What They See

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Todd Spangler
12/18/2006

A pretty tough crowd hangs out at AVSForum.com. Tough as in tough to please.

The site, which has more than 180,000 registered members, hosts discussions about high-end home-entertainment systems, including high-definition TV sets and programs. For some of these videophiles, even the best HD signals cable and satellite providers deliver aren't good enough.

Consider this post from early December: "Quite frankly, there aren't really any great broadcast or cable HD sources," wrote GeorgeLV in the site's HDTV Programming forum.

In a private reply, GeorgeLV - whose real name is George Michael Harris - explained that what annoys him about HD networks is the frequent picture "smearing" or "macroblocking," an effect in which fast-moving elements look like a mosaic of square tiles.

"I'd just be happy if HD consistently looked better than a regular, standard-definition DVD," he told us. "On many programs, especially sports, it often doesn't." Harris subscribes to satellite operator DirecTV's high-definition package...

-----
( The entire article (LONG) is at the following source: http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6400524.html )

·
New Texan
11,465 Posts
It should be noted that there is a very good partnership between AVSForum and DBSTalk.

Having read the article, I am amused that they have to kick off the Pay-Per-View channels to make room, but not the shopping channels. Also, the bandwidth requirements are written into the contract.

So, if Voom isn't a Dish exclusive, why doesn't DirecTV say that they will add it next year? :)

(Of course, I don't have a HDTV yet.)

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,427 Posts
Mark Holtz said:
So, if Voom isn't a Dish exclusive, why doesn't DirecTV say that they will add it next year? :)
Voom has been contacted by DirecTV. I would imagine that they aren't motivated to talk until they can actually put some more HD programming on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.