DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Godfather
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to ask a basic question on the local station upinks. I see locations sucha as Mount Jackson and others as being the locations of the Disk local station uplink locations. How many total uplink station locations are there and what states are they located in? How are the local TV station signals transmitted to the luplink locations, microwave, fiber optic cable, etc. Thanks, Sam

·
Cool Member
18 Posts
Interesting question. One would there would be 1 uplink center per DMA market carried by E. In my DMA one station serves as that uplink. All stations in the DMA carried by E are sent to that local station for uplink.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,472 Posts
Its defined in the law (SHVIA). Each provider designates a local "POP". It is the local stations responsibility to get the signal to the "POP" and the DBS company has to take it from there. In most places one of the local stations will be the "POP" so the engineers can push the reset button if it breaks down. Sometimes they use a radio station or other business.

In a traditional market, where all of the stations are in one city, its no big deal, but in markets like Roanoke-Lynchburg, Huntington-Charleston, or Orlando-Daytona Beach it can cause the local station(s) to expend money to get a signal there.

·
Icon
975 Posts
"POP" is Local "Point of Presence".

Local feeds come in via OTA, Fiber Optic, microwave, and even satellite, and are encoded to Digital, then combined and fed via fiber optic to the satellite uplink centers, like Cheyenne and Gilbert, Arizona.

·
EKB Editor
4,022 Posts
The other uplink centers (Monee, IL; New Braunfels, TX; Mt. Jackson, VA; Spokane, WA; Blackhawk, SD & Orange, NJ) are for the spot beams on the E-10 satellite at 110°. Dish's Tech Depot page describes operations of the Cheyenne uplink center.

·
Super Moderator
53,146 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.