DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· AllStar
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I'm as pissed as my wife -- I'll have to watch the CMA's in SD over DTV since there is NO OTA HD YET, and Helen Mirren on PBS is coming up soon. . .
 

· Icon
Joined
·
797 Posts
Bummer for sure, but you bought knowing OTA wasn't activated right? You could watch them OTA live. If you can't, are you also pissed at your TV for not having an OTA HD tuner?

Xaa

Edit to add: By your sig, it looks like you can record them OTA on your HR10-250. What exactly are you pissed about again?
 

· AllStar
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Xaa said:
Bummer for sure, but you bought knowing OTA wasn't activated right? You could watch them OTA live. If you can't, are you also pissed at your TV for not having an OTA HD tuner?

Xaa

Edit to add: By your sig, it looks like you can record them OTA on your HR10-250. What exactly are you pissed about again?
My HR10 gagged on the 6.3a download (I had two drives, and for whatever reason 6.3a didn't like that and went into a boot loop). The HR20 was in my study and I was content to just use to watch GCA and CMT while working at home until the software was mature -- until the death of the HR10 promoted it to the living room, and with it my wife's expectations. My feeling is that all the other ORIGINAL Datasheet features are there, possibly imperfect, but there none-the-less, except OTA -- so they should resolve that lapse. No doubt folks will start carrying on about Dual Buffers, etc -- but nobody SAID you would have those features, unlike OTA.
 

· Icon
Joined
·
797 Posts
I hear ya. That makes sense to me. Seems like you're pissed at the totality of all the circumstances. We're surely in agreement that OTA should be a priority. I personally believe it is, but we can never know.

Need a 3.15e image? My HR10 is still running that with several nice hacks, so I never allowed the 6.3 upgrade.

Xaa
 

· AllStar
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Xaa said:
I hear ya. That makes sense to me. Seems like you're pissed at the totality of all the circumstances. We're surely in agreement that OTA should be a priority. I personally believe it is, but we can never know.

Need a 3.15e image? My HR10 is still running that with several nice hacks, so I never allowed the 6.3 upgrade.

Xaa
I have a 3.15 image, but the logistics are daunting:
1. Watch all recorded programs on HR20.
2. Replicate all scheduled events on HR 10.
3. Retrain wife on HR10 menus.
4. Then when OTA is turned on, repeat all above in the other direction.

Number 3 alone -- twice -- gives me pause. . .
 

· AllStar
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Clemsole said:
If you hack a unit you are the only one to blam for problems.
Perhaps you are not aware that dual drives were actually supported by TiVo, and many early units (when drives were small) were shipped with two drives? I used the classic TiVo method of simply adding a "blessed" 2nd drive, which had been seamlessly supported right up to 6.3a. Nobody announced that ANY existing boxes might have trouble with the upgrade, so either they didn't bother checking dual-drive boxes this time, or DTV decided that with no long-term future with TiVo they just didn't care. DTV has had an unofficial presence on the TiVo forums all along, and it would only have taken a message to suggest that dual drive units might not want to upgrade this time.

Why is everybody suddenly deciding that DTV shold have KNOWN we wanted Dual Buffers on the HR20 any less presumptive?
 

· Cool Member
Joined
·
25 Posts
Xaa said:
Bummer for sure, but you bought knowing OTA wasn't activated right?
Not me. The rep tried to sell me an antenna when I ordered the HR20, but I told him I'd install my own. I couldn't believe it when the installer came out and told me that OTA doesn't work. I'd spent several hours the previous day installing the antenna it can't use.

I REALLY wanted the TiVo unit instead, but was informed that they couldn't get me one. I also called after the installation to complain about being lied to. That rep tried several avenues to get me a used TiVo, but no luck. I don't know what the heck they're doing with all the exchanged ones, but they sure as heck shouldn't be inflicting this steaming pile on markets with no HD locals over satellite. Actually, I don't think it should even be released yet at all. Last night I got home from a week vacation to find it didn't record about 30% of the programs in the ToDo list. :mad:
 

· Legend
Joined
·
151 Posts
k2ue said:
I used the classic TiVo method of simply adding a "blessed" 2nd drive, which had been seamlessly supported right up to 6.3a. Nobody announced that ANY existing boxes might have trouble with the upgrade, so either they didn't bother checking dual-drive boxes this time, or DTV decided that with no long-term future with TiVo they just didn't care.
I used exactly this same method to add a second drive to my HR10-250 (from Weaknees). No problems with the 6.3a upgrade here, so it's definitely not a general problem with two drive units...
 

· New Member
Joined
·
9 Posts
bcowan12 said:
Not me. The rep tried to sell me an antenna when I ordered the HR20, but I told him I'd install my own. I couldn't believe it when the installer came out and told me that OTA doesn't work. I'd spent several hours the previous day installing the antenna it can't use.

I REALLY wanted the TiVo unit instead, but was informed that they couldn't get me one. I also called after the installation to complain about being lied to. That rep tried several avenues to get me a used TiVo, but no luck. I don't know what the heck they're doing with all the exchanged ones, but they sure as heck shouldn't be inflicting this steaming pile on markets with no HD locals over satellite. Actually, I don't think it should even be released yet at all. Last night I got home from a week vacation to find it didn't record about 30% of the programs in the ToDo list. :mad:
I bought my HR20 just for the OTA capability - I wasn't even sure at that time that I had the HD MPEG4 locals avaliable in my market (it turned out I did). The D* advanced technical support rep. told me that I couldn't connect my "analog" tv antenna to the OTA jack; but rather, I needed a "digital" antenna. This was the reason the OTA feature did not work, he explained. I explained that my "analog" antenna was working fine providing fantastic HD channels directly to my TV. He still insisted that I needed a "digital" antenna. I just gave up at that point and accepted the MPEG4 locals. Later I stumbled onto this site and found the truth about HR20 OTA. Anyway, I am eagerly awaiting the OTA activation so I will not have to deal with the (currently) inferior MPEG4 channels.
 

· Icon
Joined
·
797 Posts
bcowan12 said:
Not me. The rep tried to sell me an antenna when I ordered the HR20, but I told him I'd install my own. I couldn't believe it when the installer came out and told me that OTA doesn't work. I'd spent several hours the previous day installing the antenna it can't use.

I REALLY wanted the TiVo unit instead, but was informed that they couldn't get me one. I also called after the installation to complain about being lied to. That rep tried several avenues to get me a used TiVo, but no luck. I don't know what the heck they're doing with all the exchanged ones, but they sure as heck shouldn't be inflicting this steaming pile on markets with no HD locals over satellite. Actually, I don't think it should even be released yet at all. Last night I got home from a week vacation to find it didn't record about 30% of the programs in the ToDo list. :mad:
That sucks man. I'm sorry. I'd be pissed if that were my case for certain.

Xaa
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top