DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Now I'm Upset

3K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  mikhu 
#1 ·
Tony Romo and the rest of the Cowboys have a great game in his first game as the starting QB for my Cowboys, and I can't record the game in HD thanks to D* :mad:

Now I REALLY wish they had turned on OTA.

At least I was able to save it on the R15.....

#2 ·
Mike Huss said:
Tony Romo and the rest of the Cowboys have a great game in his first game as the starting QB for my Cowboys, and I can't record the game in HD thanks to D* :mad:

Now I REALLY wish they had turned on OTA.

At least I was able to save it on the R15.....
Why weren't you able to record it in HD? NBC has HD.

#3 ·
We don't have NBC-HD on sat down here because of Lin TV. I would imagine he has a similar issue of the NBC-HD feed not being carried on D*. We only watch 2 shows on NBC anymore (Sunday Night Football and Friday Night Lights) since they are not on our service. I blame Lin since they don;t have any of their stations on D* and many cable systems.

#4 ·
bluedogok said:
We don't have NBC-HD on sat down here because of Lin TV. I would imagine he has a similar issue of the NBC-HD feed not being carried on D*. We only watch 2 shows on NBC anymore (Sunday Night Football and Friday Night Lights) since they are not on our service. I blame Lin since they don;t have any of their stations on D* and many cable systems.
call dtv and ask for NBC HD network from la or NY you should qualify for DNS since local isnt on DTV as HD

#5 ·
mocciat said:
Why weren't you able to record it in HD? NBC has HD.
No local HD here with D*. OTA not turned on yet (obviously) and no MPEG4's here yet. I was able to WATCH it in HD since my HDTV has a tuner built in, but alas, no record.

spidey said:
call dtv and ask for NBC HD network from la or NY you should qualify for DNS since local isnt on DTV as HD
Didn't think of that! Dangit.....

#6 ·
spidey said:
Yeah, but you have to get waivers for that and if you are in proximity to your locals such that you can receive them (obviously he is since he stated he could get it on the builtin tuner on his tv), your waivers will be rejected. The local stations don't care whether D* has given you a box with an inactive OTA tuner. D* has put people like this in a quandry. Your only choice is to get an HR10 at this point.

#15 ·
Yeah Earl, like bonscott87 said, our locals come out of GB and we are due by the end of the year. I just wish they were on NOW! Or if OTA was on I would have been able to record an even better feed.

And yes bon, I basically am just stirring the pot. I know it's coming and I'm waiting, last night was the first time I was truly affected by it. What really ticks me off is Madison got it last week and that market can't be a whole lot bigger than the GB market. Oh well.

#16 ·
No problem.

Mike Huss said:
What really ticks me off is Madison got it last week and that market can't be a whole lot bigger than the GB market. Oh well.
Keep in mind that market size at this point has little to do with what markets get lit up. Very possible that Madison was piggybacked onto the Milwaukee spot beam. Or that Madison and Green Bay will share a spot and Madison, being the state capital after all ;) , was the first to get added. Who really knows.

I'm just waiting for OTA, I don't need MPEG4 locals other then maybe CBS if I can get a better signal that way.

Good luck!

#17 ·
bonscott87 said:
Keep in mind that market size at this point has little to do with what markets get lit up. Very possible that Madison was piggybacked onto the Milwaukee spot beam. Or that Madison and Green Bay will share a spot and Madison, being the state capital after all ;) , was the first to get added.
They can share spot beams for different channels? I assumed it was a certain spot beam for a certain channel per market? Maybe I don't understand the tech at all.

bonscott87 said:
I'm just waiting for OTA, I don't need MPEG4 locals other then maybe CBS if I can get a better signal that way.
I heard that. I just want one or the other. I'd prefer OTA because I get a perfect signal on all channels, but MPEG4 would be nice because it would take up less space in the dvr. Like I said though, I'd be happy with just one right now, either one.

#18 ·
Mike Huss said:
They can share spot beams for different channels? I assumed it was a certain spot beam for a certain channel per market? Maybe I don't understand the tech at all.
I'll just give an abstract example. Let's say a spot beam can carry 8 unique channels (again, I don't know what the exact number is). It can be different sizes and say it's big enough it covers 2 markets that are next to each other, one big, one small.

So the big market has 4 stations. Say the small market only has 2. Then can then put those 2 up on the that spot as well and leave room for the local RSN in HD.

I'll take my neck of the wood as a great example, Michigan.
A good bit of the east side of the state is the Detroit market.
Most of the west half is my market, Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo. In between are 2 quite small markets for Flint/Bay City/Saginaw and Lansing. They certainly won't waste a whole spot beam just for those 2 smaller markets if they can help it. Most likely they have 2 large spots covering both Grand Rapids and Detroit and both cross over to cover the 2 smaller ones. Betwen the space left on those two spots they can toss in the stations of the smaller markets. Thus a small market like Flint is scheduled to go up before many larger markets because a spot beam from a near by large market has space left on it.

They did and do this alot with the SD local spotbeam, I see no reason why they wouldn't with the HD ones.

Green Bay is probably going to have it's own spotbeam to be able cover most of the UP of Michigan, some of the western part of which is part of the Green Bay DMA. They could also make a pretty large one to cover both Green Bay and Duluth, MN. Lots of options.

#19 ·
Google around and you can find reasonable estimates of the local spot-beam maps for SD stations as of last year. HD locals are almost certainly being handled in an analogous way.

#20 ·
Nice explanation, thanks!

I would guess GB would get its own beam. The viewing area runs from south of Oshkosh up to the UP, and east to the lake and west for a ways. There is another market to the west in the central part of the state - Wausau/Rhinelander which isn't on the schedule, so I'm guessing they aren't piggybacking on GB. The next market to the west of them is Duluth.

FWIW, there are 10 OTA HD feeds currently in GB, but only 7 of those would be broadcast via D* assuming they follow protocol. ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, CW, PBS, and one that was UPN but I don't know what it is now. What DOES CW (formerly WB) stand for anyway? I still have not heard.

#25 ·
Being from Chi-Town I will hold my opinion on the other teams in the NFL.... :lol:

One point I think left to make is that other than the $800 TiVo with cable card slots you have NO way to record HD from OTA. It sucks you could not record your Cowboys, but even if you had a different service, Dish, Comcast, etc, you would be in the same boat.

With that said, I hope you get your local HD channels before the Super Bowl to see the Bears ummm...best team win.

Earl, back me up here.

#26 ·
jgrade said:
Being from Chi-Town I will hold my opinion on the other teams in the NFL.... :lol:

One point I think left to make is that other than the $800 TiVo with cable card slots you have NO way to record HD from OTA. It sucks you could not record your Cowboys, but even if you had a different service, Dish, Comcast, etc, you would be in the same boat.

With that said, I hope you get your local HD channels before the Super Bowl to see the Bears ummm...best team win.

Earl, back me up here.
I'll back you up on the Bears part...

But I do think the T3 can record OTA

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.