DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s next? Sunday Ticket was the only reason I’ve remained a D* client. Been with them since 1996, and I’m emotionally ready to move.

I loved the pre-ATT DirecTV, but the Blue Orb killed the service. So damn sad.

I’ll be looking at alternatives casually Odds are probably 25% I’ll stay, but the poor customer service has killed my enthusiasm.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,902 Posts
What’s next? Sunday Ticket was the only reason I’ve remained a D* client.
DIRECTV still has one more season on their contract.

I'm not convinced that the pay TV landscape is going to remain unchanged by this time next year but it is never to early to acquaint yourself with the state-of-the-art so you're not starting from nothing.

·
Cool Member/Supporter
228 Posts
The only thing I am pretty sure of is that the NFL is interested in the deal that will give them the most money. All the other stuff as far as who has it, how it's distributed, how much customers get charged for it, is irrelevant. So, ask the question of who do you think will offer the NFL the most money ?

I got my first DirecTV system in September 1994, and have had Sunday Ticket since DirecTV offered it. I hope they continue to offer is but if they don't I'll look elsewhere. It's business.....for them and for me.

·
Icon
3,065 Posts
There's a bunch of these NFL contract threads...

My 2 things.. not everyone has "good" broadband for streaming stuff

A streaming provider won't give the same promos and discount D* gives to their customers .

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: AZ.

·
Hall Of Fame
6,057 Posts

My 2 things.. not everyone has "good" broadband for streaming stuff

A streaming provider won't give the same promos and discount D* gives to their customers .

True, streaming providers don’t tend to do individual discounts or promos.
But realistically D* is losing money on NFLST and shedding subscribers, so how long do you think they will keep doing it?

Reactions: krel

·
Super Moderator
53,146 Posts
We can approach this from a perspective. Instead of rehashing whether or not DIRECTV will have NFL Sunday Ticket we are discussing what will happen if they don't.

I believe most people will make the decision when they find out where Sunday Ticket goes. Best case would be if multiple carriers offered the package including DIRECTV - then one would just decide if the rest of DIRECTV is worth the remaining cost. If DIRECTV doesn't carry the package there will be some people who follow the package.

·
Icon
3,065 Posts
I'm staying no way I'm putting that cable video service in my house..

Reactions: AZ.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,902 Posts
We can approach this from a perspective. Instead of rehashing whether or not DIRECTV will have NFL Sunday Ticket we are discussing what will happen if they don't.
It isn't a matter of if. DIRECTV's intention is clear and the NFL is actively looking for anyone else who can handle it (in the form of regular payments to the NFL) to step up with the highest bid.

What will happen when NFLST goes away is quite a few more subscribers than historically suggested will jump ship. Maybe we see an additional million residential subscribers lost on top of the regular exodus because they can't buy or otherwise wrangle the package anymore. A good chunk of the NFLST revenue comes from commercial accounts and it may be possible that DIRECTV salvages some of the commercial establishments (and some of the residential) through their other sports programming but I'd imagine that many of the DIRECTV signs will be peeled off.

While DIRECTV seems disinterested in new DBS subscribers, removing the option of NFLST (free or otherwise) is a pretty huge downer. Let's face it, three months of modern movie channel suites doesn't have the appeal that it once did. Having access to a more substantial RSN portfolio is about all that's left.

·
Legend
216 Posts
I assume he has better sources than most people here, but Sports Business Journals' John Ourand says DirecTv still wants Sunday Ticket in his predictions for 2022

Amazon buys a nearly 50% stake in the NFL’s media properties.
Amazon executives have made it clear that they want to deepen their relationship with the NFL. They have been active in negotiating a deal
to have a less than 50% stake in NFL Network, NFL RedZone and NFL.com. This deal will close in the first quarter. But it will not include Sunday Ticket.

Disney, DirecTV carry NFL Sunday Ticket.
Disney CEO Bob Chapek has said he wants the NFL’s Sunday Ticket package. Disney said it will spend $33 billion on content in 2022. Amazon also wants the package and has much deeper pockets than Disney. But Amazon will not engage in a bidding war for these rights. Meanwhile, DirecTV wants to keep Sunday Ticket, and the NFL wants to stay with DirecTV, so those two will work out a non-exclusive deal.

·
Cool Member/Supporter
228 Posts
John Ourand is one of the best-connected sources in sports media, so his opinion is probably way more informed than any of ours, but it is just that, an opinion. At this point the only thing that would really surprise me is any provider has exclusivity.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,902 Posts
I assume he has better sources than most people here, but Sports Business Journals' John Ourand says DirecTv still wants Sunday Ticket in his predictions for 2022
Maybe, maybe not. I'll bet you that nobody outside of the management of DIRECTV, TPG, AT&T and the NFL know what's really going on. Ourand and Swanni may be the only ones backing this bet.

The Chairman of the Board of DIRECTV has gone on record as not wanting to continue the current arrangement and that carries considerably more weight for me.

Even if DIRECTV resold NFL ST, chances seem pretty thin that anyone who is now getting it for free won't be doing so going forward so that pretty much wipes the lipstick off.

·
Hall Of Fame
6,057 Posts
Personally i don’t think anyone will want an exclusive deal for NFL at the prices that have been bandied about.
I think the NFL organization is in for a rude shock in the near future.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,902 Posts
John Ourand is one of the best-connected sources in sports media, so his opinion is probably way more informed than any of ours, but it is just that, an opinion.
Craig Moffat tells everyone who will listen the same thing about himself with respect to the entire media industry. That doesn't make him omniscient.
At this point the only thing that would really surprise me is any provider has exclusivity.
This is in line with the NFL's expressed wishes but if we're talking about someone like Amazon, what does "exclusive" mean?

The most exclusive of the competitors is arguably Apple and the only thing they really have going for them is container loads of cash.

·
Legend
216 Posts
Maybe, maybe not. I'll bet you that nobody outside of the management of DIRECTV, TPG, AT&T and the NFL know what's really going on. Ourand and Swanni may be the only ones backing this bet.
I agree mostly with that, I just know that "off the record" conversations are pretty common with reporters so thinking he has had to hear something to come out with the prediction. Maybe I am a little biased because in my opinion, the DirecTv/ESPN+ combo makes the most sense for the consumer, although maybe not the most "cents" for the NFL :) Although as someone who only watches RedZone, I would probably be better off with DirecTv losing it completely so hopefully we would finally get the NFL's RedZone in the sports package.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,902 Posts
I agree mostly with that, I just know that "off the record" conversations are pretty common with reporters so thinking he has had to hear something to come out with the prediction.
If someone offered to the World what you just told them in confidence, I'd imagine that's the last time you would be sharing NDA information with them. Any such disclosure is a major breach of negotiation protocol and has been prosecuted in the courts quite vigorously in the past. See more at "bad faith negotiation".

·
Hall Of Fame
2,472 Posts
Exclusivity is 100% required for the deal to work for the NFL.

The other sports simply make their OOM packages available to all, and split the profits with the provider. Not the NFL. DirecTV LOSES MONEY on the ST deal. It pays MORE to the NFL than it can take in. And since 95+% of people COULD have DirecTV if they wanted it, the number of ST subscribers is not going to change that much no matter who or how many providers there are.

DirecTV justifies this by a predicate. That is the key to the whole ST business model. There must be somethingf else that you have to get first. For DirecTV that was the basic service. For Apple, that would be either an Apple product or Apple Plus. For Amazon, its Prime. Etc.

All talk of non-exclusivity lacks the basic understanding that no provider would pay one cent more than they could make back in sales in a non-exclusive setting.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,902 Posts
Exclusivity is 100% required for the deal to work for the NFL.
I disagree.

What works for the NFL is a regular and rather large income. They don't really care how they come by it as long as it is there. That's the whole point of looking for a new partner who will be handling all of the gory details. The fact that the NFL was willing to suffer along with the number of eyeballs that DIRECTV could offer is evidence that exposure wasn't a critical criteria as long as the NFL got their vigorish.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,388 Posts
the NFL also wants the commercial part to work and sat tv works well for them as the bandwidth to stream 8+ hd feeds is an lot and they will also need to maybe even upgrade the Matrix Switchers to have more in puts as one box per TV makes bandwith even more of an issue. and WIFI may not work to well for 8+ HD feeds vs e-net.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts