DBSTalk Forum banner
61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,902 Posts
There are a lot of people that have been receiving NFLST for several years that never pay full retail (or maybe anything at all) for the product.
Is this fair to those that pay full price?

How much discount should a few phone calls to badger customer service be worth? I'm betting it doesn't come anywhere near the $300 level.

I think it more likely that NFLST will be offered to most direct via streaming. If you're a customer of the company that produces and distributes the product, you may get a break but you know they'll make it up somewhere. DIRECTV's makeup came in the form of a >$190 ARPU and some generous portion of $6 billion in debt.

The true ugliness is likely to come from not being able to pause, fast forward or rewind the content (at least on game day).

·
Mentor
431 Posts
Is this fair to those that pay full price?

How much discount should a few phone calls to badger customer service be worth? I'm betting it doesn't come anywhere near the $300 level.

I think it more likely that NFLST will be offered to most direct via streaming. If you're a customer of the company that produces and distributes the product, you may get a break but you know they'll make it up somewhere. DIRECTV's makeup came in the form of a >$190 ARPU and some generous portion of $6 billion in debt.

The true ugliness is likely to come from not being able to pause, fast forward or rewind the content (at least on game day).
It's fair in the sense that any DIRECTV customer is able to call and attempt to barter a discount for NFLST (or other discounts on their service during the billing period that NFLST is charged to help balance out the bill.)

I couldn't say how much discount calls should be worth. Based on years of monitoring this board, most successful discount calls are apparently worth anywhere between 20%-50% off the cost of NFLST (or for some fortunate ones, a free year.) To some, that's not even worth it. In my own personal experiences/circles, I have two friends who don't care to even attempt to call about their NFLST subscription, because they simply dislike calling customer service departments. They pay full price, annually.

I don't know if it's fair to assume that any NFLST streaming product in the future wouldn't be able to do some basic tasks like pause, fast forward, or rewind live content.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,472 Posts
“There is no such thing as fair” - John Dutton.

IMHO, at least 95% of the “poor customer service” gripes about AT&T have nothing to do with actual customer service, since the product rarely needs any service. Rather they are people that called wanting not to pay the rack rate for something and were told no.

In any event, times change. Expecting the Amazon or Apple or whoever ends up as the one and only exclusive provider of ST to discount like DirecTV misunderstands the nature of the business. If you believe there will be more than one source, then certainly there will be no discounts.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,902 Posts
IMHO, at least 95% of the “poor customer service” gripes about AT&T have nothing to do with actual customer service, since the product rarely needs any service. Rather they are people that called wanting not to pay the rack rate for something and were told no.
Based on my observations, the gripes are often about the accounting system and widely varying answers from customer service about why things are the way they are. Those gripes aren't the subscriber's fault. DIRECTV needs to step up (or just step away from AT*T) and fix both their account system and bulk up their support scripts.

There are surely others who are bitter about not getting some freebie or discount that someone else did but the best way to fix that is to stop showing favoritism.

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
“There is no such thing as fair” - John Dutton.

In any event, times change. Expecting the Amazon or Apple or whoever ends up as the one and only exclusive provider of ST to discount like DirecTV misunderstands the nature of the business. If you believe there will be more than one source, then certainly there will be no discounts.
I think you have that backwards. About 5% of the complaints are about not getting discounts and 95% are about the the absolute horrid customer service related to all other matters, ie....installation, repair, replacement and return services. They are close to the worst I've ever encountered.

·
Super Moderator
53,146 Posts
It's fair in the sense that any DIRECTV customer is able to call and attempt to barter a discount for NFLST (or other discounts on their service during the billing period that NFLST is charged to help balance out the bill.)
Unfortunately after saying yes for so many years the company has to calculate the cost of saying no. Is it worth losing this customer who is on the phone asking now? What does the algorithm say?

NFL ST this year is easy ... AT&T has agreed to cover all of the losses up to $1.5 billion on DIRECTV's distribution. But DIRECTV continues to offer other hefty discounts that are much more than the cost of NFL ST ... $55/$60 per month off for some people. Those kind of discounts can continue as long as DIRECTV remains in business.

·
Super Moderator
53,146 Posts
For any "exclusive" provider after 2022 I expect there will be a set price as an add on to whatever service that provider offers. In my opinion there is a small chance that it would be included in the regular price (to boost the value of the provider's base offer) but I don't see any exclusive provider giving an add on version for free or season long discount.

I agree that if there is more than one provider there will be no discounts by the provider on NFL ST. Only provider agnostic discounts (if any) from the NFL (early sign up, half season, etc.)

61 - 67 of 67 Posts