DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Icon
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it time to finally upgrade to the HR20 and new dish, or wait a little while longer for more of the bugs to stabilize?

When I log in to D* website, it says I am eligible for a free upgrade, but I don't want to lose out on that window of opportunity.

At this point I really have no need to rush. My HR10 works great, and if something happens, and my wife can't record all her season passes flawlessly, I'll be sleeping outside in the dog house for sure!

I don't know why, but after reading some of the horror stories about D* installations, I am scared to death about having them do it.

What do you guys think? Opinions please!

·
Legend in his own mind...
324 Posts
If you are concerned that you might lose recordings, at this point I would suggest keeping your HR10 and *adding* the HR20. $5 a month for a little peace of mind til you trust the box.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,308 Posts
I am one of those with an unhappy install story.

I did a self install back in the 90s. I should have done that this time.

The guy drilled two holes right through the center of my brand new $5,000 roof without even asking me. I got a remote from D* for my pain.

The only positive thing about the install was the price, and the fact that he apparently aimed the dish pretty well - I've had zero rain fade.

Consider doing your own cabling - or hiring someone you trust to do it. Then have them come out and aim the dish.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
mluntz said:
is it time to finally upgrade to the HR20 and new dish, or wait a little while longer for more of the bugs to stabilize?

When I log in to D* website, it says I am eligible for a free upgrade, but I don't want to lose out on that window of opportunity.

At this point I really have no need to rush. My HR10 works great, and if something happens, and my wife can't record all her season passes flawlessly, I'll be sleeping outside in the dog house for sure!

I don't know why, but after reading some of the horror stories about D* installations, I am scared to death about having them do it.

Jump on it!!! Then watch them like a hawk, or if you can do it, offer them a beer/coke/milk and do it while they are sittin'. (Get lots of freebies that way.) Then, as JayWdetroit says, have them align it.

And keep the HR10 as a backup/Pip/second receiver. I've replaced all my stand alone, boring, non-dvr receivers with DVRs.

Cheers,
Tom

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
jaywdetroit said:
Consider doing your own cabling - or hiring someone you trust to do it. Then have them come out and aim the dish.
Exactly. These days I only trust the installer to put the dish up and aim it. I do all my cabling myself. If you want it done right, do it yourself.

·
Banned
1,614 Posts
jaywdetroit said:
I am one of those with an unhappy install story.

I did a self install back in the 90s. I should have done that this time.

The guy drilled two holes right through the center of my brand new $5,000 roof without even asking me.
He had to drill 2 holes because they found that using double sticky tape and/or duct tape doesn't work so well for mounting a satellite dish on the roof. What's big deal ? Seal up around the holes with exterior sealant, no big whoope. I did my own install and drilled two holes right through my brand new $4,500 roof.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,308 Posts
glennb said:
He had to drill 2 holes because they found that using double sticky tape and/or duct tape doesn't work so well for mounting a satellite dish on the roof. What's big deal ? Seal up around the holes with exterior sealant, no big whoope. I did my own install and drilled two holes right through my brand new $4,500 roof.
The big deal is that he had an air vent right next to it he could have gone through, like I asked him too. And he could have drilled the holes on the other side of the peak so my neighbors don't have to look at two cables sticking out of the top of my roof.

Does that work for you?

And one more thing: YOU decided to drill through your $4500 roof. I wasn't given a choice.

·
Banned
1,614 Posts
Oh no, the neighbors have to look at two cables sticking out of the top of your roof. I'm sure the petition forcing you to move out of the neighborhood is coming soon.
:)

·
Hall Of Fame
1,308 Posts
glennb said:
Oh no, the neighbors have to look at two cables sticking out of the top of your roof. I'm sure the petition forcing you to move out of the neighborhood is coming soon.
:)
Yeah - It's possible. People tend to have a sense of pride in appearance and maintenance of their homes in my neighborhood. Idiots. :nono2:

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
jaywdetroit said:
The big deal is that he had an air vent right next to it he could have gone through, like I asked him too. And he could have drilled the holes on the other side of the peak so my neighbors don't have to look at two cables sticking out of the top of my roof.

Does that work for you?

And one more thing: YOU decided to drill through your $4500 roof. I wasn't given a choice.
Now I get your point. I was thinking two holes for base (which are sealed by the bolts and the silicone) . I am amazed he put two holes in for the cables when he had a nearby vent handy.

And he didn't follow your instructions. bummer.

Regards,
Tom

·
Legend
124 Posts
mluntz said:

Suggest you carefully read the site again. As I read it, free upgrade is for new customers (provides free upgrade to standard DVR) for 12 months.

After I sign in, it does give me an option for a free leased standard DVR. But, the HR 20 is available only via the "waiting list" and at a cost of $299.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,496 Posts
Lets cut out the fighting and get back to topic. Lets all act like adults here.

·
Icon
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Richard L Bray said:
Suggest you carefully read the site again. As I read it, free upgrade is for new customers (provides free upgrade to standard DVR) for 12 months.

After I sign in, it does give me an option for a free leased standard DVR. But, the HR 20 is available only via the "waiting list" and at a cost of $299.
Sorry about that. You are right. That was for a SD DVR. I don't understand why new customers get it free, and existing customers have to pay $299. Doesn't seem fair!

If that's the case, then what's the point of being an "A list" customer?

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
mluntz said:
Sorry about that. You are right. That was for a SD DVR. I don't understand why new customers get it free, and existing customers have to pay $299. Doesn't seem fair!

If that's the case, then what's the point of being an "A list" customer?
Don't stop yet. Call the CSRs a couple times and ask Customer retention. Patience will likely get you the deal you want. Might take a couple weeks, might be today.

Cheers,
Tom

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.