DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Beer Aficionado
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night we wanted to watch "The Simpsons" (recorded) while "Cold Case" was recording. Started "The Simpsons" from My Vod. Within 10 seconds of starting the recording acted like it does during rain fade, but it wasn't raining when we recorded it. Started pixellating, and locked up.

R15 froze solid, BSOD, no response, nothing. Hit reset, went through the Welcome and Almost There screens, then went BSOD and turned on the yellow record light and no others.

Tried reset again, same thing. By now we are PO'ed and we switch to the antenna input to watch "Cold Case" thinking we won't get to see it otherwise. Never mind that I didn't think to record it on the other R15 or the HR20, I was PO'ed and not thinking straight. Gave up on it for the night after that.

This morning I try to reset the unit again. Same thing again. So I decide to take the hit and reformat again for the second time in a few weeks. Since I can't get the unit to even fire up I have to do the down arrow/rec reset instead of the reformat though the menu.

Guess what? IT DOESN'T WORK!! I hit reset, waited for the Welcome screen to come up, and I then held down the down arrow and the rec button. No response, went through the normal "startup", i.e. Welcome screen, almost there screen, BSOD, yellow light. So I tried it again without the reset first. Just held the down arrow and rec buttons down for a minute. Again, no response.

NOW what do I do? Did I do the reformat incorrectly or something?

·
Beer Aficionado
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for the confusion, I did do the reformat attempt at the unit itself.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,473 Posts
Just checking. I'd try unplugging the sat leads and unplugging the unit... leave it off for awhile and then plug it in. See if it comes up. If it does then turn it off again and pull up the sat leads and hopefully you'll be ok.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,473 Posts
NP, if that doesn't work it's probably time for a new one.

Or if you want to go the extra mile you could swap out the HD to see if that is the issue.

·
Beer Aficionado
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nah, if I can't get it to respond anymore I'll just be using my newly started protection plan coverage sooner than expected. I think my first month where I can't use it is up within a week.

·
Super Moderator
12,863 Posts
The only way I have been able to fix this specific problem (which I have had a couple of times now) is to re-download the software (02468). One of my R15's was really acting up and it took something like 20 resets before it would come up enough to take the 02468, but once it did, everything has been okay.

I think (just my own suspicion) that the showcase pushes are somehow corrupting the firmware in some R15's, and once that happens you get the BSOD.

So, if you have not yet done a software download, try that.

Carl

·
Beer Aficionado
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That did it. I unplugged the power and the sat leads. Let it sit for a while. Plugged it in and sure enough, it tried to find the satellite signal almost immediately. So I unplugged it again, hooked up the sat leads, and plugged it back in. Fired right up.

Evidently part of my reformat from last night must have taken hold because all the recorded shows were gone. Since the recordings were gone anyway I did a reformat again, this time via the menu, which went just fine this time. All seems to be good now.

Thanks for the help!

·
Beer Aficionado
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
carl6 said:
The only way I have been able to fix this specific problem (which I have had a couple of times now) is to re-download the software (02468). One of my R15's was really acting up and it took something like 20 resets before it would come up enough to take the 02468, but once it did, everything has been okay.

I think (just my own suspicion) that the showcase pushes are somehow corrupting the firmware in some R15's, and once that happens you get the BSOD.

So, if you have not yet done a software download, try that.

Carl
I checked the software version on the initial restart and it's on 10E8 so I didn't bother with 02468. Good stuff to know though, thanks.

·
Super Moderator
12,863 Posts
It isn't necessarily that you don't have the correct version, it's that it somehow gets corrupted. By doing another download, you get a "clean" version without whatever corrupted it previously. That's my guess, based on my own experiences with the R15 and re-loading software, resetting, and reformatting.

The software is entirely in EPROM (or whatever) - not on the hard drive. Not sure what it takes to cause that to get corrupted, but it can happen.

Carl

·
Hall Of Fame
2,473 Posts
Mike Huss said:
That did it. I unplugged the power and the sat leads. Let it sit for a while. Plugged it in and sure enough, it tried to find the satellite signal almost immediately. So I unplugged it again, hooked up the sat leads, and plugged it back in. Fired right up.

Evidently part of my reformat from last night must have taken hold because all the recorded shows were gone. Since the recordings were gone anyway I did a reformat again, this time via the menu, which went just fine this time. All seems to be good now.

Thanks for the help!
Good to hear. Glad we could help.

·
Banned
4,642 Posts
Mike Huss said:
Guess what? IT DOESN'T WORK!! I hit reset, waited for the Welcome screen to come up, and I then held down the down arrow and the rec button. No response, went through the normal "startup", i.e. Welcome screen, almost there screen, BSOD, yellow light. So I tried it again without the reset first. Just held the down arrow and rec buttons down for a minute. Again, no response.
Just for future reference, when doing a DA/REC you need to wait for the 2nd blue screen to turn black and then hold both the DOWN ARROW & REC buttons down until the REC comes on. Doing that will the blue welcome screen up will not work.

·
Beer Aficionado
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wolffpack said:
Just for future reference, when doing a DA/REC you need to wait for the 2nd blue screen to turn black and then hold both the DOWN ARROW & REC buttons down until the REC comes on. Doing that will the blue welcome screen up will not work.
Gotcha, so I WAS doing it wrong. I figured I must have been considering it wasn't working and it's basically the last option, so it really should work almost all the time.

·
Banned
4,642 Posts
Mike Huss said:
Gotcha, so I WAS doing it wrong. I figured I must have been considering it wasn't working and it's basically the last option, so it really should work almost all the time.
DA/REC is really the only option when you can't boot your R15. Just remember first blue screen is for 02468, first black screen after the blue screens is for DA/REC.

I guess we have to add that unplugging the SAT lines is for whatever else doesn't work. :grin:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.