DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Legend
248 Posts
nickff said:
Is it necessary to have two cable jacks for each HD DVR?
Not only will a SWM cut your wiring to one wire, the "stuff" on the backside of the receiver or DVR gets easier, too. As in, no BBCs, as well. If you have OTA signals, a small diplexer at the receiver is enough. For 8 or fewer receiver inputs, a SWM (or SWM-equipped dish) makes life easier.

Stan

· Legend
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am having a house built and am trying to make sure I have enough jacks available in the rooms. Will DirecTV use a SWM on a standard install?

· Lifetime Achiever
10,820 Posts
nickff said:
I am having a house built and am trying to make sure I have enough jacks available in the rooms. Will DirecTV use a SWM on a standard install?
DIRECTV is only using the SWM in certain markets on certain installs at this point. If you want one you will probably have to buy one online.

But if you are building a house I would just run all the lines you need and use a normal multi-switch.

I would also suggest running an ethernet cable to each location too.

· Hall Of Fame
1,056 Posts
As a suggestion, run 4 RG6 cables, 2 CAT5 or CAT6 cables and 1 phone line to your main viewing room.

Run 2 RG6 cables, 1 CAT5 or CAT6 cable, and 1 phone line to your secondary viewing area and the master bedroom.

Run 1 RG6, 1 CAT5, and 1 phone line to the other bedrooms and the kitchen.

· Registered
8,671 Posts
techrep said:
As a suggestion, run 4 RJ6 cables, 2 CAT5 or CAT6 cables and 1 phone line to your main viewing room.

Run 2 RJ6 cables, 1 CAT5 or CAT6 cable, and 1 phone line to your secondary viewing area and the master bedroom.

Run 1 RJ6, 1 CAT5, and 1 phone line to the other bedrooms and the kitchen.
What no dvr's in the bedroom? :eek2: :lol:

· Hall Of Fame
1,056 Posts
houskamp said:
What no dvr's in the bedroom? :eek2: :lol:
Well, he could do 2 runs to all of the bedrooms but, that would require another 500' spool of RG6. :lol:

I figure, let the guests and the children deal with a basic receiver. ;)

· Godfather
452 Posts
techrep said:
As a suggestion, run 4 RJ6 cables, 2 CAT5 or CAT6 cables and 1 phone line to your main viewing room.

Run 2 RJ6 cables, 1 CAT5 or CAT6 cable, and 1 phone line to your secondary viewing area and the master bedroom.

Run 1 RJ6, 1 CAT5, and 1 phone line to the other bedrooms and the kitchen.
RG6 not rj6
RG= coax
RJ= phone/network

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.