DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,436 Posts
'Dish, meanwhile, has committed to build out a 5G network that will serve 20 percent of the US by this summer and 70 percent of the US by summer of 2023'.

I just approved the zoning compliance and issued a building permit last week to an agent for Dish Network, on a 5G antenna installation. The antennas will be installed on a newer cell tower built last year in my inspection area. (SE Wisconsin- halfway between Milwaukee and Madison). Verizon is currently the only other tenant, on the newer monopole. Installation has not started yet.

·
Legend
370 Posts
It only makes sense, soon there will be like 10 corporations that own everything! This isnt new, but now no one stops these mega mergers like they did 60 to 70 years ago.

Look at the entertainment,TV/Radio mess they created and allowed!

And no, you not going to save money, you wont have anywhere to turn to get what you want!

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I didn't have DTV/Dish on my merger bingo card until 2023, after DTV's NFL Sunday Ticket exclusive was done, and a couple years after the DTV partial spin-off with TPG was announced. Boy, those guys are wanting to exit that deal fast.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
DISH: Directv Merger Rumors Supported By Potentially Significant Internal Move

DISH Stock: Directv Merger Rumors Supported By Internal Move | Seeking Alpha
Interesting article. I'd always assumed that when the merger happens, it would only involve DISH's pay TV business (satellite and Sling), not their new 5G wireless business. Should this deal happen, perhaps the remaining wireless business will be renamed. IMO, DISH is a pretty stupid name for a cutting-edge wireless company. (I can imagine an SNL parody ad for DISH Wireless showing a customer talking on a cell phone in their car that's wired to a satellite dish mounted on the roof. "The 90s just called and they want your smartphone!")

Given that the DISH satellite TV business is Charlie Ergen's baby, and there's no one at DirecTV/AT&T with a similar emotional attachment to that business, it wouldn't surprise me if Ergen insists that the combined satellite TV service continues to use the DISH branding to ensure that his legacy lives on, even if he's not fully in control of its operations any more. And I've long believed that the combined service would ditch the aging DTV hardware and instead use only the more advanced DISH Hopper and Joey line of receivers for all new customers (although new iterations may need to be produced to work in tandem with DTV sats/dishes). Doubt anything much would change for existing customers of either satellite TV brand, though; they'd be grandfathered into their current packages and equipment.

Perhaps the DirecTV brand would live on via DirecTV Stream, which I assume would somehow absorb Sling, maybe by just offering Sling's set of cheaper and smaller channel packages in addition to whatever set of mainstream packages that the combined satellite service will also offer.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
You don't know how is complicated DTV System Info vault ... no way to combine it with DVB-S what is using by dish, I see the merge as wet nightmare's for two big IT groups
A knowledgable moderator on another forum says that DISH receivers can work with DTV rooftop dishes/signals with just a software update. So that's would I would expect to happen. They'll probably standardize new installation with DTV dishes aimed at DTV sats but using current DISH Hopper and Joey receivers. But there may be the odd installation here or there where the installer can't get good line of sight to the DTV sats but they can with the DISH sats, so in those cases they'll go with a traditional DISH installation. Either way, they'll be able to use the same TV boxes.

For existing DTV customers, nothing would really change, except maybe they'd see the DTV logo in their Genie on-screen menu system replaced with the DISH logo. They'd keep their existing receivers connected to their existing rooftop dish. Same set of channels, same channel numbers.

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,268 Posts
You are missing big chunk of the merging process... encoding, System Tables, EPG and such things
I mean dish HW will not accept the part of DTV stream
Dishes [LNBF] , switches, splitters are NOT compatible too

·
Premium Member
11,223 Posts
If DISH and DIRECTV were to merge there's no way Charlie could afford to operate two satellite fleets along with their broadcast facilities. One would have to be phased out and we know it won't be DISH.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,902 Posts
But there may be the odd installation here or there where the installer can't get good line of sight to the DTV sats but they can with the DISH sats, so in those cases they'll go with a traditional DISH installation.
Given the realization that Ka turned out to be a bit of a pain and that DISH has two constellations and smaller dishes, I'd expect things to go to transition slowly to the DISH satellites and DISH STBs.

Given that the installed base of DIRECTV STBs are already rather dated (The HS17 is near to celebrating its fifth birthday) and there is NOTHING on the horizon, I'd expect that much of the installed base is already at the cliff.

The Hopper Plus could represent a big boon to transitioning both services to streaming and it would probably add even more to the DIRECTV experience than it does to the DISH experience.

The real concern is probably what will happen with sports programming.

TPG isn't in the business of running companies. They're in the business of trading companies. Anyone who thought that they were into DIRECTV for the long haul is deluding themselves. Most of the coverage before the deal was careful to point out that the goal was to make DIRECTV a takeover target. DISH surely has the best synergies and they are on the same trajectory in terms of where the future lies.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Given the realization that Ka turned out to be a bit of a pain and that DISH has two constellations and smaller dishes, I'd expect things to go to transition slowly to the DISH satellites and DISH STBs.
The problem with that plan is that DISH would likely need to build and launch a new satellite in the latter half of this decade and that's an expensive proposition for a business that's slowly dying. Their constellations aren't going to last as long as DTV's, which just launched a new sat in June 2019 and should be good at least through 2030 (i.e. probably for as long as satellite-delivered cable TV service is a viable nationwide business).

As I wrote before, I'm told that current DISH receivers can be updated via software to work with DTV dishes/sats/signals.

Given that the installed base of DIRECTV STBs are already rather dated (The HS17 is near to celebrating its fifth birthday) and there is NOTHING on the horizon, I'd expect that much of the installed base is already at the cliff.
Yeah. And when their existing boxes die (and maybe even if they wanted to switch out of their grandfathered old DTV package to a current DISH package), they'll be replaced with current DISH boxes that can work with their existing DTV dish and wiring.

The real concern is probably what will happen with sports programming.
I expect all (or nearly all) of the current sports programming available on either service to be available through the new unified DISH service. Those missing RSNs will probably return to DISH by next year (if not this year) as optional add-ons given that Sinclair is getting ready to launch them as a standalone streaming service anyway. Once that happens, every large MVPD is going to insist on de-bundling their RSNs and making them optional once their current carriage contract is up.

TPG isn't in the business of running companies. They're in the business of trading companies. Anyone who thought that they were into DIRECTV for the long haul is deluding themselves. Most of the coverage before the deal was careful to point out that the goal was to make DIRECTV a takeover target. DISH surely has the best synergies and they are on the same trajectory in terms of where the future lies.
Agreed. I just didn't expect TPG to begin agitating for a DISH merger less than a year after their DTV deal closed. That was only six months ago!

·
Hall Of Fame
4,871 Posts
Obviously besides some of the delusional diehards here for various reasons, no one in there right mind thought TPG was going to try and turn Directv around by investing in anything.. My guess is the subscriber declines are continuing at a frantic pace and there could be more layers to the onion TPG saw once they took over and they want it gone

Reactions: b4pjoe

·
Premium Member
25,249 Posts
If DISH and DIRECTV were to merge there's no way Charlie could afford to operate two satellite fleets along with their broadcast facilities. One would have to be phased out and we know it won't be DISH.
Not sure why you think that. I believe both are self sustaining at this time they just had a lot of debut piled on DIRECTV because of the mergers and splits of the company. If he can handle that and gain a price advantage with the larger company then he will be able to keep them going.

The key is if he doesn’t screw up and drop sports from DIRECTV service. That would make me beyond mad….

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,902 Posts
The problem with that plan is that DISH would likely need to build and launch a new satellite in the latter half of this decade and that's an expensive proposition for a business that's slowly dying.
I don't imagine that DISH (or DIRECTV) expects that their DBS products will need to exist much beyond 2026. I would expect that DISH may be able to easily take advantage of existing or leased satellite capacity as they've been doing all along to make that happen. The fact that DIRECTV Ku birds at 110W and 119W could be employed in some capacity on the Western Arc shouldn't be overlooked (although they may not be long for the Belt).
As I wrote before, I'm told that current DISH receivers can be updated via software to work with DTV dishes/sats/signals.
Sure, but will DISH want to do battle with Ka when they have their Ku capacity that is perhaps better located to offer the broadest coverage. DISH is probably better positioned to get rid of MPEG2 than DIRECTV is so raw satellite capacity becomes much less of an issue than it is today.

An argument can be made for the narrow width of the DIRECTV window but I'm dubious that makes as much difference as better shots to the constellations.

·
Premium Member
11,219 Posts
It would be moronic to phase out Directv instead of Dish when Directv has twice the installed base, and Dish is split between two arcs with duplicate satellite fleets. It costs half as much and saves a lot more money (assuming even one of Dish's satellites will need to be replaced before the end of the decade) to phase out Dish's already duplicated fleet.

Making Dish receivers compatible with Directv would probably not be too difficult, everything new is using tuners that can handle SWM. So they'd phase out Dish's satellite fleet and dishes/LNBs and phase out Directv's receivers and DVRs.

Reactions: NashGuy

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don't care........whatever happens, happens. I will just wait and see and go from there. But you folks can hash things over and decide at the end, if it ever happens. Enjoy!

1 - 20 of 194 Posts