DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,517 Posts
You are missing big chunk of the merging process... encoding, System Tables, EPG and such things
I mean dish HW will not accept the part of DTV stream
Dishes [LNBF] , switches, splitters are NOT compatible too

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,517 Posts
Can you name one where DISH/Echostar does not already own or have rights to a similar patent and needs DIRECTV's technology?
One of those - AMC. Advanced Modulation and Coding, using for A3 transponders mostly for Ka sats, but they're using it on a few tpns of Ku sats.
Second (by TiVo, but DTV have an agreement of using it) - indexing of video PID files. They making I-frame marks instead of harsh time marks by dish indexing (remember dish litigation ? failed!); trick play is intensively using the marks

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,517 Posts
Sometime later, when we've returned to the same location the previous locals were either gone or the signal was too low to be stable, yet another time they're receivable again.
All sat's stationary keeping system keep it "wobbling" in some boundaries. It cannot point antennas steady due orbital mechanics and sat's fuel limit.

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,517 Posts
Dish's last couple generations of hardware uses SoCs that support SWM, new firmware (and obviously a new dish) would make them able to get programming from Directv's satellites.
I did specifically dig into relevant part of dish HW what does prevent accept blind technically clueless "source" of such misleading info. He is usually non proficient in HW aspects and just parroting rumors from his close source from top managers, not engineers, nor understanding technical aspects. It was before, it's happening now - he didn't change. He would tell anything what would attract an attention to his person or his site :(

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,517 Posts
to come more from basic reverse engineering
At least it's real basis for do discuss possibilities of HW vs what that person, who are technically illiterate and totally relay to words of someone who are far away from HW Dept, perhaps rumoring itself or passing wishful thinking.

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,517 Posts
To stir the side discussion down to functioning of [Broadcom] chip's... well known tuner chip BCM4500 have "cuts" eg revisions what are different, some of them support 8PSK with Trellis turbocoding, some - DSS. Wanna talk about SoC cuts now?

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,517 Posts
I'm still very VERY skeptical about ability dish HW support DTV conditional access, especially counting the "latest" dish DVR [H3] designed 10 years ago and pretty sure - that time dish wouldn't pay for "universal" chips [SoC] eg for DTV/BCM IP rights to decode DTV channels

Highly Unlike !

1 - 20 of 24 Posts