DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

322 Posts
joshjr said:
Here is a little more on options. If you were to buy a large enough antenna, it looks like you could get some of the NYC channels for free. I could recommend an antenna as well if interested. DirecTV makes a device called an AM21 that allows you to plug your antenna directly into it and then plug that into your DirecTV DVR. It allows you to add those stations into the guide data and to record off those channels as well just like normal. The up font cost would be a little bit but in the end once it was paid for, you would never have to pay for the channels so its no a bad option. The address below will take you to the results of this search. What can make the search results better would be if you use your specific address and also if you can put the antenna up higher as well. I am still looking into this but let me know if this is something you are interested in.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d513436d298f61c
This is your best bet... like Josh suggested please post your TV Fool results on here (it will conceal your actual address). Honestly if you want to come out on the cheap you likely could buy one of the cheap Stellar Labs VHF only antennas for between $25-$30 and pick up WABC & WPIX. A good outdoor long range antenna with a pre-amp would likely give you most of the NYC locals.

322 Posts
Like the others I think your chances of getting ALL the NY locals given the property restrictions and interference issues you're dealing with is going to be difficult. My question is, could you be happy with 1 or 2 of the NY stations or do you really want all of them? I think you could easily buy this $25 VHF antenna put it on your deck and likely get WABC, and possibly WPIX. If you want them all you're going to need a much bigger antenna as josh suggested, and might still not pull them all in.

322 Posts
I'm looking at the power level of the channel... WABC is much stronger at his location than the others. It works great for me, pulling in our local ABC from 73 miles away and my station is about 10db lower in strength.

322 Posts
After looking over DirecTV's significantly viewed list it doesn't appear that the NYC stations are provided as SV'd in any part of the Philadelphia market according to their listings. Cable companies might provide them, but it doesn't look like DirecTV does. The only place I can find any of the NY affiliates being Significantly Viewed stations is in the New Haven, CT market and even then not all of them are.

322 Posts
PP123 said:
Thanks! I actually have an apartment/ address in the NYC area as well so perhaps that can help in some way with the Aereo suggestion. I just wanted some way to get in Bucks county as well (unfortunately SlingBox wasnt a viable option since the TV is in use at the location as well).
You mentioned you have Verizon as your TV provider at your location, I assume you're using cable at the NYC apartment location as well?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.