DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Legend
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

The 622 receiver arrived today. Swapped out my 942 for the 622. I now get my NY area locals (CBS, NBC< ABC, and FOX) in HD over the satellite. When checking the channels it appears that FOX is not in HD. Picture was 4x3 and no Dolby Digital sound, just pro logic. I've compared the picture to the Fox in the 8100 range (SD) and there's no difference in quality.

Can anyone else in the NYC area market receiving HD locals confirm FOX is not in HD? I upgraded to the 622 in order to receive FOX in HD since that is the only local channel I cannot receive in HD over the air.

Thanks

· Hall Of Fame
1,105 Posts
Rocket,

Channel 6303, WNYW (44) defenately transmits FOX HD programming in NYC. Presuming you were checking during HD programming, most likely, there was some sort of pass-through glitch between the FOX network and WNYW.
Suggest you check it again tomorrow.

· Legend
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll check it tonight when I get home. Last night 6303 was not showing HD during the evening.

It appears the channel remap is working as ABC and NBC both showed HD in their logo and sound was DD.

Dave

· Hall Of Fame
1,105 Posts
RocketNJ said:
I'll check it tonight when I get home. Last night 6303 was not showing HD during the evening.

It appears the channel remap is working as ABC and NBC both showed HD in their logo and sound was DD.

Dave
Dave,
Just making sure, you are aware all digital programing on 6303 is not necessarily High Definition programing? Tonight, FOX will be airing Justice, Las Vegas, and Numbers in HD...check those.

The bugs (station logo) on the screen, and the (HD) in the DISH EPG often mean nothing. I've often seen a station's HD bug on a non-HD broadcast.

· Hall Of Fame
3,182 Posts
kdg454 said:
Dave,
Just making sure, you are aware all digital programing on 6303 is not necessarily High Definition programing? Tonight, FOX will be airing Justice, Las Vegas, and Numbers in HD...check those.

The bugs (station logo) on the screen, and the (HD) in the DISH EPG often mean nothing. I've often seen a station's HD bug on a non-HD broadcast.
Man kdg, what system do you have? Fox has Justice, NBC has Las Vegas and CBS has Numbers. Fox has Trading Spouses (not sure if this is an HD program) and Fox 5 News at 10.

· Hall Of Fame
1,105 Posts
Garyy,
That's me "talking to my brain," rather than wording something for someone else to read!:sure: I was giving Dave all HD shows, so he could compare. There's nothing HD airing at the same time tonight against a FOX HD show. Trading Spouses is not done in HD.

So he has:
FOX - 8-9pm - Justice
NBC - 9-10pm - Las Vegas
CBS & NBC - 10-11pm - Numbers & Law and Order

I'd have to have the last name of Murdoch, to get all those shows on FOX!

· Legend
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
garys said:
Black bars would be non-HD program on an HD channel. The news on Fox 5 is not in HD, at least not yet. Lucky if 20% of the programing on networks is HD.
OK, what threw me was the news refers to their SkyFox helocopter's video feed as high definition.

Just got in. Going to go check out Justice.

· Hall Of Fame
1,105 Posts
RocketNJ said:
OK, what threw me was the news refers to their SkyFox helocopter's video feed as high definition.

Just got in. Going to go check out Justice.
I watched it, it was in HD.
Very few locals do their news in HD. In St Louis, we have one, the NBC local affiliate started doing the local news in HD earlier in the year. The only have 2 out-of-studio HD cameras, and they don't have a helicopter.

I can't recall reading of any local FOX, either affiliates or O&O's, producing any local HD content.

· Legend
181 Posts
WNBC-DT 4.1 and WABC-DT 7.1 are the only channels broadcasting the local news in HD so far in the New York City area.

NBC started back in September and ABC started just this past week. We are still in the stone age of HD local news.

Both only have in studio HD cameras that I have noticed. I believe I have also seen that earier noted Fox Skycam but Fox New York (WNYW-DT 5.1) does not have news studio HD yet.

Even national network newscasts are not yet in HD.

I think it's time for the cable news channels (CNN, MSNBC, etc) to get an HD feed up.

The Weather Channel HD could be the best. Jim Cantore reporting live in HD in the middle of the next noreaster blizzard.. :D

This will all improve soon. I hope. :rolleyes:

· Hall Of Fame
1,105 Posts
I think we'll see much more local HD as the revenue streams begin to flow towards the digital side of the station's liabilities.

As we go through '07 and '08, and the money becomes available, the station's will undoubtedly upgrade to HD studios and equipment. I think the major 4 will have local HD news in the top 20 DMA's, before the 2009 cut-off.

· Hall Of Fame
1,105 Posts
Yep, Sony Pictures is footing that bill.

· Godfather
483 Posts
kdg454 said:
I watched it, it was in HD.
Very few locals do their news in HD. In St Louis, we have one, the NBC local affiliate started doing the local news in HD earlier in the year. The only have 2 out-of-studio HD cameras, and they don't have a helicopter.

I can't recall reading of any local FOX, either affiliates or O&O's, producing any local HD content.
SF Bay's Fox (KTVU 2) is a Fox Affiliate and they were the first in the bay to get in studio HD for their News broadcasts for the area.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.