DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a fairly basic piece on the state of video to the home. Here in Philly, I'm anxious to see when FIOS comes to town. I don't get ST, so the regular NFL offerings are fine for me (ST not a reason to stick with D*). And if they can't get the HR20/MPEG4 local issues righted for the vast majority of users, FIOS looks even better. All I can say is, the next year or two are going to be interesting in terms of choice. I'd probably even pay the D* termination fees if the FIOS home network offering is reliable. Sounds cool. And the concept of a one-DVR household (they use the network to move the video around the house) is appealing. Also, they are underpricing it to compete, so you can make up the out of pocket costs of dumping D* in lower sub rates in the first year or two. We'll see.

Oh, you need an online subscription (free) to read this piece.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/01/technology/circuits/01sett.html?ref=circuits

·
Godfather
418 Posts
I will agree with Phillip Swan on this one: "All TV is local".

I live in Charter country with no AT&T or Verivon FIOS as an option, so my choices are D* and E*.

I would guess that cable might be a viable option in some larger markets, but for most people it really isn't.

Hopefully, AT&T, Verizon etc. will get their product to more people soon and create some real competition in places that never had it before.

·
Legend
219 Posts
I'm certain if you want to make a move to FIOS they will probably offer to cover your get out of jail fee. I've seen info on the new Verizon system that will be available here in here in NJ and the technical aspects are quite impressive. DSL speed will be capable of 50mps. A minimum of 20 hd channels and free movies on demand will be available for around $42.00 a month. I quess it's always good to have more fiber in your diet! ;)

Ian:D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.