DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched high and low on the internet for any info on setting up DirecTV or The Dish to recieve a signal in Japan. I figure almost anything is possible, and Alaska is just a couple thousand miles away, so why not ask. I am a definite n00b in all the HD Satellite stuff, so I would appreciate any ideas/information as to whether this is possible. Perhaps no one has asked this before, so here goes. Is it possible to set up a Dish or DirecTV satellite in Japan for American reception?

(please feel free to move this thread if necessary. i did the best i could)

Thanks!

· Registered
4,296 Posts
I am have a hard time picturing the ability to pick up a DirecTV signal in Japan from satellites in orbit over Texas... I suppose it is possible but with the difficulties they have in Hawaii, I would think it highly unlikely.

· Hall Of Fame
2,562 Posts
It is simply impossible to receive a North American sat signal in Japan. Bluntly, the Planet Earth is in the way of the signal. North American sats are between longitude 61 and 148 West. Japan is 138 East.

However, if you are interested in US or simply English language TV in Japan, there are several services that provide that.

· Hall Of Fame
3,433 Posts
You need a Slingbox attached to a US-based DirecTV installation and high-speed (uplink) internet connection.

3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses peoples. Scuse my ignorance but do you guys think this goes for the dish and directv? Do Alaskans pretty much point their dishes sideways for a signal?

I've considered slinging but I assumed TV would end up looking like youtube, so that would kindof defeat the purpose because I'm interested in HD. I doubt people run fiber to their houses yet over there like they do over here yet.

· Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,882 Posts
Dishes in Alaska and Hawaii are pointed sideways and close to the horizon and the dishes themselves are much bigger because the signal is weaker there.

Even *IF* you could get line of site from Japan it doesn't matter because none of the sat signal, the beam, is active there. It's only active in the U.S. border regions north and south of the border and then over to Alaska and Hawaii. So no signal goes to Japan anyway. But you don't have line of site anyway because Japan is on the other side of the planet from the sats.

· Icon
927 Posts
pinkpocky said:
Thanks for the responses peoples. Scuse my ignorance but do you guys think this goes for the dish and directv? Do Alaskans pretty much point their dishes sideways for a signal?

I've considered slinging but I assumed TV would end up looking like youtube, so that would kindof defeat the purpose because I'm interested in HD. I doubt people run fiber to their houses yet over there like they do over here yet.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'here' and 'there' but internet service in South Korea and Japan is MUCH faster and usually much cheaper than in the United States.

This article from last summer says Japan is from 8 to 30 times faster than the US:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/28/AR2007082801990.html

Americans always assume they have the best, but they rarely do.

3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Redlinetire said:
I'm not sure what you mean by 'here' and 'there' but internet service in South Korea and Japan is MUCH faster and usually much cheaper than in the United States.

This article from last summer says Japan is from 8 to 30 times faster than the US: hxxp://wwwwashingtonpostcom/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/28/AR2007082801990.html

Americans always assume they have the best, but they rarely do.
I thought it would be obvious because of the "location" information underneath my username and the title of this thread. So, to be clear, here = Japan. I wasn't posing a hypothetical with this thread, rather this was actually something I wanted to do. On slinging, the concern isn't with the download speed, but with the upload speed on the US side. Speed here isn't a problem as I am quite aware that its kick-ass.

If anyone knows any other tricks like bouncing signals off mirrors in the atmosphere or connecting to a UK service or anything else that would allow me to get reasonable quality USA content in Japan via satellite or something else please feel free to post here or pm me. Cheers!

· Icon
927 Posts
pinkpocky said:
I thought it would be obvious because of the "location" information underneath my username and the title of this thread. So, to be clear, here = Japan. I wasn't posing a hypothetical with this thread, rather this was actually something I wanted to do. On slinging, the concern isn't with the download speed, but with the upload speed on the US side. Speed here isn't a problem as I am quite aware that its kick-ass.
Well, in the U.S. Verizon FiOS is 'fiber to the home' so the statement is just as confusing. FiOS isn't available everywhere to be sure, but it is available and is very fast. Fast enough to Sling to Japan is another question...

· Legend
163 Posts
there are certain parts of Alaska that don't get Dtv signal. Outlook looks grim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.