DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Icon
625 Posts
wlambert38 said:
Any news, information, rumors regarding the timeline and content of "October" update?
I don't think there is a timetable for the release of updates.........they come out as they are developed and tested.

· 622 Tips & Trick Keeper
9,883 Posts
Dish usually does not pre-release information on when it will do a software update or what will be in the software update. There are a lot of factors that go into that determination and any posts regarding what will be included in a release should be taking with a grain a salt. Based on my experiences with software, what might be planned for inclusion a month ago can get hanked because the teams feels the feature or fix is not right.

If I recall, the rumor on the October release was that it would be the next release for the 622 and I believe we have seen two since then. Not saying the rumor or information was incorrect (Don't have a clue where it came from to make that statement, but plans change, stuff happens and my personally opinion is it arrives when it is ready for primetime and not a minute too soon).

As for news... I have not personally heard any rumors regarding time line or content for the next 622 release. Based on passed Charlie tech chats, Trade Shows, etc. we have ideas of what they are working on but only the development/marketing teams have a good idea of what will actually pop out next.

Based on our most recent polls, I hope more audio work is done since some are still seeing audio issues.

· Hall Of Fame
2,130 Posts
Ron Barry said:
Dish usually does not pre-release information on when it will do a software update or what will be in the software update. ...
Let's say the rumored October release was not the one that would add lots of fixes for bugs.
It was suppose to be the one to add several new features.

There has been lots of mention of various new features in the works. Including
1) Native Resolution Pass Through
2)Dish Comm
3) USB archiving to external hard drives
4) Enabling Etherenet (perhaps for IPTV on demand or perhaps for home networking of programs)
5) DD5.1 through HDMI

1,2 and 3 have been demo'd by Dish.

· Hall Of Fame
1,476 Posts
As with the 921, we're probably more likely to have them abandon the receiver and halt all new feature development on it than we are to actually receive those new features. Regardless, I would suspect that most of the existing engineering effort is involved in bug fixes at the moment.

· 622 Tips & Trick Keeper
9,883 Posts
tnsprin said:
Let's say the rumored October release was not the one that would add lots of fixes for bugs.
It was suppose to be the one to add several new features.

There has been lots of mention of various new features in the works. Including
1) Native Resolution Pass Through
2)Dish Comm
3) USB archiving to external hard drives
4) Enabling Etherenet (perhaps for IPTV on demand or perhaps for home networking of programs)
5) DD5.1 through HDMI

1,2 and 3 have been demo'd by Dish.
When was 1 demoed? I don't recall it being demoed from what I have heard. I have heard it being mentioned but not demoed.

As for it being a feature release. The rumor as I recall was not tagged as the next feature release and even if it was, 3.63 included a new feature "TV Entertainment" so therefore would have been the next feature release. ;)

Sure we can speculate that one or more of these features will appear in October or they may appear in November. They are all features mentioned as planned features and based on external evidence one would think we will see these features soon. Now.. the 64K question is what does soon mean. ;)

I think we all all hoping to see these features start to appear over the next few releases and hopefully they will, but we also want to see our boxes reach a higher level of stability and the two goals tug at each other.

So I guess the answer is still "No new News" and it may or may not happen.

5 Posts
Get this - I upgraded from 921 to 622. I gave my 921 to a friend who hooked it up and started getting HD programming. Last night there was some update from DIsh and he no longer had HD. He called and was told that Dish no longer supports the 921 for HD. That he must upgrade to the 622 to receive any HD. I told him that didn't make sense that there are lots of 921 out there. He called again and was told the same thing. Two hours later he started receiving HD again....Whats up with that????

· Super Moderator
54,187 Posts
I'm assuming he subscribed to HD before Feb 1st or has a 622 on his account?

E* is not activating new accounts for HD (or upgrading to HD) without a ViP receiver.
Secondary non-ViP receivers would only be able to see the "old" HD, pre-Feb 2006.

· Hall Of Fame
2,114 Posts
James Long said:
Secondary non-HD receivers would only be able to see the "old" HD, pre-Feb 2006.
Is that "non-Vip receivers"? Don't see how a non-HD receiver would see "old" HD. I know DISH uses "HD" to mean ViP in places, but it seems confusing here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.