DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· AllStar
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man I'm so glad October is almost here. I'm a day early I know. This is my favorite month because all the good scary movies are on tv. I love it. I'm hoping D* will throw Chiller HD among others into our mix. Trick or Treat Directv.

· Godfather
306 Posts
priester68 said:
Man I'm so glad October is almost here. I'm a day early I know. This is my favorite month because all the good scary movies are on tv. I love it. I'm hoping D* will throw Chiller HD among others into our mix. Trick or Treat Directv.
The first time I discovered the chiller channel, my first thought was "wow, would love to see this as an HD channel"

· Mentor
47 Posts
The vast majority of stuff Chiller shows was not filmed in HD or even widescreen. Using HD for that channel would be a total waste. Woo hoo! As if watching a edited, hacked up, censored version of Dr Giggles 2 with 30 minutes of commercials wasn't good enough, now I get to watch it stretched!! Yay!!

· Icon
571 Posts
Lethargic said:
The vast majority of stuff Chiller shows was not filmed in HD or even widescreen. Using HD for that channel would be a total waste. Woo hoo! As if watching a edited, hacked up, censored version of Dr Giggles 2 with 30 minutes of commercials wasn't good enough, now I get to watch it stretched!! Yay!!
Dude NBC Universal doesn't stretch they are all about OAR

· Hall Of Fame
2,287 Posts
Lethargic said:
Dude...

Film (even old film) is higher resolution than HDTV. While many of the older films may have been shot in a 1.33:1 aspect ratio, they can benefit a great deal from being remastered in HD.

And, many, many of the films they show were, in fact, shot in a widescreen format.

Bring on ChillerHD!

· Icon
928 Posts
Its funny that many people forget that older movies where taped on 35mm film which contains a higher resolution than HD and will look great when vconverted for HD broadcasting!!!

· Godfather
291 Posts
Unfortunately...

Most of those films will look like CRAP upconverted. The transfers are HORRIBLE. I highly doubt that anybody is going to bankroll the restoration of the Leprechaun negative for 4k resolution scans. We're gonna need to live with low-def schlock for awhile longer I'm afraid. VERRRRRYYYY AFFFFRRAAAAAAIIIDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

· Registered
8,035 Posts
Cmnore said:
Unfortunately...

Most of those films will look like CRAP upconverted. The transfers are HORRIBLE. I highly doubt that anybody is going to bankroll the restoration of the Leprechaun negative for 4k resolution scans. We're gonna need to live with low-def schlock for awhile longer I'm afraid. VERRRRRYYYY AFFFFRRAAAAAAIIIDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Your complaining about some movies that you consider so bad (content wise) that no one will pay to do a good HD transfer, but will watch them in crappy SD? :confused: :confused: :confused: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

· Godfather
291 Posts
RobertE said:
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Your complaining about some movies that you consider so bad (content wise) that no one will pay to do a good HD transfer, but will watch them in crappy SD? :confused: :confused: :confused: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:
I am? I never said a word about their content or placed a value on it. I merely made mention of the fact that just because a channel is broadcasting at a high resolution - does not make that which is being broadcast - as 'true' High Def. You can upconvert 480i from some VHS master to 1080i, and it's just gonna be BIGGER. Garbage-in, garbage-out.

· Hall Of Fame
1,237 Posts
priester68 said:
More like trick.

Unless you are getting your locals in HD.

· Godfather
439 Posts
Lethargic said:
Cmnore said:
Unfortunately...

Wow... Such negativity. Where is the Halloween spirit? Chiller HD is not live and all some people want to say is how bad it will be. I think those people should use their time posting on something they like. I like Chiller and will watch it a lot more when it goes HD. I don't think NBC/Universal is going to waste their time making this channel HD just to give us "Garbage". But I do agree with the comment made earlier about Monsters HD. Their line-up is tremendous and UNEDITED, wish D* would get a deal with liberty and get at least that one channel. Another channel that would be perfect timing to go HD in October is AMC with Monster Fest coming up!

· Icon
654 Posts
hbkbiggestfan said:
Wow... Such negativity. Where is the Halloween spirit? Chiller HD is not live and all some people want to say is how bad it will be. I think those people should use their time posting on something they like. I like Chiller and will watch it a lot more when it goes HD. I don't think NBC/Universal is going to waste their time making this channel HD just to give us "Garbage". But I do agree with the comment made earlier about Monsters HD. Their line-up is tremendous and UNEDITED, wish D* would get a deal with liberty and get at least that one channel. Another channel that would be perfect timing to go HD in October is AMC with Monster Fest coming up!
+1, but have not heard of MonstersHD. Is that an HBO subchannel or something?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.