DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Icon
808 Posts
Not right off the top of my head. I had to look at the thread title a couple of times before I realized you weren't cursing at something.:rolleyes:

· Godfather
260 Posts
I was an SD only customer for 7 years until October, we just moved the 36" tv and SD-Tivo into the bedroom. After the change, it made us wonder why we waited so long to get HD.

· Legend
209 Posts
IndyMichael said:
Anyone know the % of DirecTV HD customers vs SD customers? I don't see us making the switch to HD til our main tv, a 36" JVC dies.
Don't wait, kill that TV now if you must. I've had HD for over 2 years, and trust me, the difference is night and day. You will wonder why you waited so long, just like others have said.

· Banned
4,642 Posts
Knepster said:
Don't wait, kill that TV now if you must. I've had HD for over 2 years, and trust me, the difference is night and day. You will wonder why you waited so long, just like others have said.
Exactly....anyone with any knowledge knows how to make a SD TV "die" and then justify the purchase of a HD equivalent. You just need to be committed! :sure:

· Banned
11,498 Posts
When I started looking into going high def, I really would have felt better at the time if my current 32" SDTV died. I mean that TV was only 5 years old and was a birthday gift. But as soon as I fired up the 42" HDTV and saw that NBA game (I hate basketball) in HD that all went out the window :)

Not trying to be a smartass here, but I would be curious to know the percentage of DirecTV customers that switched providers due to better HD options.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
IIRC in the last quarterly update, they stated they have 1.5 million (out of the 15.5) with at least 1 HD box.

· Legend
125 Posts
I bought my HDTV over 2 years ago but used it for SD only. I really wasnt happy with the offerings so I figured I would wait, plus I wanted to upgrade my HT receiver before I went HD because I like running everything through it and HDMI wasnt ready at the time.

Then I was going to go HD earlier this year but when I found out the HR10 was going away for the HR20 that would have the MPEG4 locals I decided to wait.

So up until a few weeks ago I was completely ready for HD (TV, AVR, Cables) just didnt have the DTV receiver to do it yet.

Finally got my HR20 and love it. Now I am thinking of upgrading the TV in my Bedroom and putting an H20 in there. Maybe a 20" flatscreen dont need anything to big in there.

· Legend
168 Posts
I'll probably hold off on HD until everything is HD. :p

Or at the very least, I'll wait 'til I can get all of my local channels in HD (which won't happen before 2009).

I wouldn't want to be spoiled by an HD feed when I still have to watch the majority of programming in SD.

· Icon
643 Posts
I've had HD for about a year and a half, and love it. I don't even want to watch SD unless I absolutely have to.

I'm happy with my HR10-250, and get all my locals OTA just fine. I'm not switching anything until they get the bugs worked out of the HR20 and the OTA is activated, and until they get more HD content, maybe this spring or summer.

Once everything is in MPEG4, I'll be forced to make the switch.

· Icon
808 Posts
Unless you can get your OTA channels in HD, there's little in the way of quality HD programming available from any of the providers. Dish assimilated VOOM so they probably have the most non-network HD channels. DTV and cable have prety much the same HD lineups but cable will probably give you a slight edge on picture quality. If you can get Verizon FIOS I hear that's the best PQ available.

That being said, if you can afford an HDTV now, don't wait any longer. Once you get an HDTV you'll kick yourself for not getting it sooner. It really is that much better. I used to have a 50" Mitsubishi rear projection set but it was in SD and pretty much looked like crap. SD looks even better on my 60" Hitachi HDTV now. I don't watch that much SDTV anymore but when I do at least it's tolerable on a big screen.

· Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,882 Posts
I got HD over 4 years ago when all that was available was HDNet on D* and that's it. OTA CBS around here was just starting out in HD and that was it.

But I got an HDTV anyway. At the time it was mainly for the big screen and to properly show Widescreen DVDs. But every time more HD became available I could start wathing it...like all the NFL HD games the past 3 years.

· Hall Of Fame
1,167 Posts
For now I am just watching HD via OTA antenna. I am not willing to pay the $299 "lease fee" for the HD DVR - I'll wait for prices to come down on that. I get great OTA HD reception of the NYC locals with a $40 tabletop antenna.

· Banned
63 Posts
IndyMichael said:
Anyone know the % of DirecTV HD customers vs SD customers? I don't see us making the switch to HD til our main tv, a 36" JVC dies.
15,000,000 (million) Standard Def Customers.
600,000 (thousand) HD Customers.

15,600,000 (million) customers total approximately.

· Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
ansky said:
For now I am just watching HD via OTA antenna. I am not willing to pay the $299 "lease fee" for the HD DVR - I'll wait for prices to come down on that. I get great OTA HD reception of the NYC locals with a $40 tabletop antenna.
I got mine HR20 for $39. After they become widely available again, call D* and they'll probably deal.

· Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
newcs said:
15,000,000 (million) Standard Def Customers.
600,000 (thousand) HD Customers.

15,600,000 (million) customers total approximately.
Earl posted a bit earlier in this thread that there were 1.5 million out of 15.5 million were HD.

If it's 600,000 then it's 3.8 percent. It it's 1.5 million, then it's 9.7 percent.

Carl

· Banned
63 Posts
carl6 said:
Earl posted a bit earlier in this thread that there were 1.5 million out of 15.5 million were HD.

If it's 600,000 then it's 3.8 percent. It it's 1.5 million, then it's 9.7 percent.

Carl
Based on the 10% figure I think we are lucky DirecTV is moving ahead with all the new launches and addition to new nationals next year. It's clear the SD customers are the bulk of the cash flow for DirecTV. Reading some of the negative feedback from posts on new H20/HR20 and costs to offer it, it's amazing DirecTV doesn't cut back and delay it. They may have regretted introducing it, and may prefer to wait in the future if such a small percentage actually subscribe.
Personally I'm glad they haven't hold back, and have not wavered.

· Legend
191 Posts
Phroz said:
I wouldn't want to be spoiled by an HD feed when I still have to watch the majority of programming in SD.
No offense, but that's like not buying a car until you can get a Mercedes (or Lexus, BMW, whatever).
At least in my setup, SD looks better on my HD set than it did on my conventional TV. In fact the HR20 does a better job with SD than my old TiVo did (when compared on the same SD TV). Comedy Central is kind of my baseline, and the HR20 does a great job on it.
I would watch a good show in HD if it's available, but if not, SD does not bother me. You would be surprised what some TVs (or receivers) can do with the signal. I very much doubt people that say that an HD set does a worse job on SD than a conventional set. Something is mis calibrated if that's the case.

Finally, if HD makes up less than 10% of D*'s sub base, than I am impressed that we get as much attention as we do. Sure, it's vital to their future, but I thought there was better penetration than that.

· Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
Even worse I had an HD TV and was feeding it SD signal until just a few months ago.

:nono:

bluedogok said:
I was an SD only customer for 7 years until October, we just moved the 36" tv and SD-Tivo into the bedroom. After the change, it made us wonder why we waited so long to get HD.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.