DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
AllStar
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Do you have to have the HD pack to get HD locals from Direct? If I have the receiver won't it broadcast the locals in HD? I'm not thrilled with the 9.99 pack, but want the locals.

2. Will it broadcast the locals in HD with HD receiver without an off-air antenna? Why does direct sell an off air antenna for $49? Do they install that when they come out? How doees Direct provide the HD locals?

3. If off-air antenna is required, will it work for more than once HD tv/receiver? If I have 3 tv's and am getting 3 HD receiver's, will the off-air antenna be connected by the installer to all the TV's?

Thanks, I'm confused over how Direct provides the HD and about the off-air antenna it sells.

·
Icon
680 Posts
To sum it up, Directv now offers HD locals (usually just the big 4 channels though some markets have less due to contract issues) over the dish in a number of DMA's, if you are in one of the DMA's covered, you will need a new 5 LNB dish and either H20 or HR20 receiver to take advantage of them. If you are not in a covered DMA or there are other digital local channels you'd like, you will need to either try Directv's UHF/VHF antenna or install one of your own depending on your needs to receive local HD channels.

You can confirm your available locals here - http://directv.com/DTVAPP/packProg/localChannels.jsp?assetId=900018

If you see channel numbers under the HD Channel# column, that's what you can get over the dish.

And you can confirm what is available OTA in your area here - http://antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

If you'd like assistance with an antenna suggestion, post your digital only results and we can try to help you out.

If it comes down to you needing an antenna

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,490 Posts
Rraspy said:
If I have the receiver won't it broadcast the locals in HD?
At this time the non-DVR HD receiver can tune digital locals but the HD DVR cannot tune broadcast channels.
If off-air antenna is required, will it work for more than once HD tv/receiver? If I have 3 tv's and am getting 3 HD receiver's, will the off-air antenna be connected by the installer to all the TV's?
The installer may or may not connect OTA up. You will likely have to bribe them and provide cabling and a splitter at least.

The $50 antenna may or may not work for you.

Are these receivers the DVR or non-DVR models?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.