DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It has been rumored for awhile now that all of DirecTV's HDTV channels are moving off of 119 to 110 (which means you will need a C Kit)

DirecTV has been saying that they will be adding more HDTV soon, so one could expect that they would offer Discovery at launch.

However I still believe that we should all make our voices heard.

Here is the address for writing to DirecTV

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/glb/Form_Feedback.jsp

Email today!

·
Hall Of Fame
1,530 Posts
Just curious - how many standard definition channels will have to be sacraficed to provide this one HD? Those who are concerned about PQ today and don't have HD may not look forward to this development.

I don't yet have HD capability. Since it seems the various standards are still emerging, I'll be on the HD sidelines for a while.

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
For best results 1HD channel is used per TP, but they might be able to squeeze 2 in.

·
Founder
17,326 Posts
I just got a response from E* about Discovery HD. I'm impressed. They got back to me in less than a day. Here is what they said:
---------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your email.

Dish Network does indeed realize the value of this programming.
Unfortunately, we are not able to comment if we will be carrying this programming at this time.

We do value your interest in this channel and will forward your request to the appropriate department.

Executive Offices

EchoStar Communications Corporation

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
I hope E* and D* get it, yet another stab into cable in terms of HD.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,345 Posts
A full uncompressed (by Dish) HDTV channel takes up about as much room as 6½ "standard def" video channels. At one point Dish had one HD channel and 2 or 3 SD channels on one TP. So you could just barely sqeeze in 2 HD channels into a single transponder with a little compression with current technology in use.

See ya
Tony

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.