DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
375 Posts
it better be lol as thats where mine is and I havent had one problem, as long as they install it right...use the tar tape under the feet then screw into a Joist you should be fine...I have two monopoles plus the main support so I think it will take alot of wind to hurt anything, also I havent had one leak. If I hear otherwise though I will take it down, I am nervous about it being up there (I am a anal houseowner, who likes to take care of his property).

·
Banned
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
stuart628 said:
it better be lol as thats where mine is and I havent had one problem, as long as they install it right...use the tar tape under the feet then screw into a Joist you should be fine...I have two monopoles plus the main support so I think it will take alot of wind to hurt anything, also I havent had one leak. If I hear otherwise though I will take it down, I am nervous about it being up there (I am a anal houseowner, who likes to take care of his property).
Mines up there too - and you can bet the installer did not hit the truss, just the decking.

But officially?

·
Banned
375 Posts
hmmm i will look around, but unoffically I would say you need to hit a joist, there are traning videos online that even say that I believe, if someone would be so kind to link to those videos that would be great, but I would believe that just decking wouldnt hold that bad boy up, I could be wrong though.

·
Godfather
425 Posts
There is no reason that you can't mount it on your roof. Just make sure you seal the bolts well, and when I installed mine the center lags hit a stud, and then the other 4 (2 on each side of the stud) I put a metal plate on the inside and used nuts & bolts. It is rock solid.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
527 Posts
A roof mount needs to catch a rafter with the center lag screws. Attachment to the sheathing alone is not good enough. Joists are in ceilings and studs are in walls.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
You definitely need to mount the foot of the dish thru a stud, not just the sheathing, AND you need to use the monopoles....
If the roof is very steep some installers will refuse to install the AT-9 on the roof.

·
Banned
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
texasbrit said:
You definitely need to mount the foot of the dish thru a stud, not just the sheathing, AND you need to use the monopoles....
If the roof is very steep some installers will refuse to install the AT-9 on the roof.
Due to the moment of the dish?

·
Icon
828 Posts
I guess I am just lucky.
Our new house was built this year, and house he builds, the builder provides a two inch pipe during construction. (He also did all of the cable runs.) It is secured by bolts in five different spots on the trusses and he said that before the wind (which does get pretty strong here) will pull the antenna off, the whole house would go with it.
When the D* installer came, he said that the house was an installer's dream. Four cables were waiting at the top of the pipe which were routed from an access box at the bottom of the wall. All cables for the six rooms we had wired were also in the access box along with an electrical outlet for older powered multiswitches.
All he had to do was mount the antenna on the pole--he used five bolts to make sure it was solid--terminate the cables and connect them to the multiswitch and the receivers.
Everything was neatly done and during some good heavy winds, the AT-9 doesn't move an inch!

·
Godfather
318 Posts
Mine is mounted on my roof. I cut a 2x10 and mounted it under the sheathing between the trusses, I then used lag bolts and the mono poles to secure the dish. It's not going anywhere.

·
Legend
139 Posts
Xram said:
Mine is mounted on my roof. I cut a 2x10 and mounted it under the sheathing between the trusses, I then used lag bolts and the mono poles to secure the dish. It's not going anywhere.
I essentially did the same thing (2 x 12) on both sides of the rafter, as mine is not mounted on the edge of the roof.

·
Legend
130 Posts
On a related note, does the dish need to be grounded? The installer mounted our AT9 on the roof but doesn't appear to have grounded it. There are two dual-coax lines coming off the dish that look like they each have a ground wire molded next to the two coax runs, but he just cut off the ground wire near the multiswitch and didn't attach it to anything. The multiswitch also isn't grounded. I'm a little concerned that the dish is going to get hit by lightning (it's the highest part of the house) and wind up toasting receivers.

·
Legend
146 Posts
munangst said:
On a related note, does the dish need to be grounded? The installer mounted our AT9 on the roof but doesn't appear to have grounded it. There are two dual-coax lines coming off the dish that look like they each have a ground wire molded next to the two coax runs, but he just cut off the ground wire near the multiswitch and didn't attach it to anything. The multiswitch also isn't grounded. I'm a little concerned that the dish is going to get hit by lightning (it's the highest part of the house) and wind up toasting receivers.
Sorry, not ground wire, but telephone cable! Ground wire is usually green and is a LOT thicker than the twisted pair you're referring to. In fact, if he HAD used it as a ground, it would be more of a fire hazard than any use!

There should be a seperate ground going from the dish/post/other part of the assembly to a water pipe or other stake in the ground for a complete, max protection install.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.