DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Godfather
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I came home tonight and the wife wanted to watch the Biggest Loser finale, which of course, I told her ok, even though I wanted to watch something else. (can you tell where this is going?)

We were watching everything just fine. We were about 1:22 into the program, and the final 4 were coming out. We went to FF through the commercials and it stuck. You could hear the HDD stop working and the lights quit spinning. We waited, it started back up, but then it was just looping about 3 seconds of this commercial. Finally was able to stop it and go back to live tv. This happened about 5-6 times. The wife was LIVID! I went and checked upstairs to see if we had recorded it on the D*Tivo and, of course, it wasn't. Uhoh.

I told her that maybe a red button reset would correct this issue. I did that. When it came back up, I was out of the room. All of the sudden, she gets up and leaves the room. I come back in and the My Playlist is completely empty. It reset the whole HDD. This only complicates matters as I had been out of town since monday and she nicely waited for me to watch most of the shows we recorded. I guess that won't happen again.

I just completed another reboot and tried to re-download OxFA, just to see if that would help. It actually downloaded 108, which I see now the loophole that Earl presented.

Now when I try to press buttons on my remote, it sends the wrong command (ie. volume turns the power off, exit brings up the guide, etc). I redid the sat setup on the machine, I hope that will fix this now. UGH!!!

I don't know when the wife will talk to me again. She keeps wondering when I will call D* and complain.

I will update this later. Maybe see if I can revert back to FA.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
pappys said:
Ok, I came home tonight and the wife wanted to watch the Biggest Loser finale, which of course, I told her ok, even though I wanted to watch something else. (can you tell where this is going?)

We were watching everything just fine. We were about 1:22 into the program, and the final 4 were coming out. We went to FF through the commercials and it stuck. You could hear the HDD stop working and the lights quit spinning. We waited, it started back up, but then it was just looping about 3 seconds of this commercial. Finally was able to stop it and go back to live tv. This happened about 5-6 times. The wife was LIVID! I went and checked upstairs to see if we had recorded it on the D*Tivo and, of course, it wasn't. Uhoh.

I told her that maybe a red button reset would correct this issue. I did that. When it came back up, I was out of the room. All of the sudden, she gets up and leaves the room. I come back in and the My Playlist is completely empty. It reset the whole HDD. This only complicates matters as I had been out of town since monday and she nicely waited for me to watch most of the shows we recorded. I guess that won't happen again.

I just completed another reboot and tried to re-download OxFA, just to see if that would help. It actually downloaded 108, which I see now the loophole that Earl presented.

Now when I try to press buttons on my remote, it sends the wrong command (ie. volume turns the power off, exit brings up the guide, etc). I redid the sat setup on the machine, I hope that will fix this now. UGH!!!

I don't know when the wife will talk to me again. She keeps wondering when I will call D* and complain.

I will update this later. Maybe see if I can revert back to FA.
For it do that... sounds like your hard drive may have gone bad.

Shut the system down... wait about 5 minutes, and restart the system.

· Godfather
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I red button reset again, and the remote at least is working. I am currently setting up my custom guide list again, and will start setting up the Scheduler again. I am on with D* right now hoping to get a new box and a few bucks back in my pocket. I was down to 19% availability on My Playlist since I was out of town for a few days.

· Crivens!
768 Posts
I had a similar playback display problem (didn't pay attention to lights or hard drive, so I can't confirm those symptoms). The second time it went flakey, I started watching Mythbusters instead, and went back to Biggest Loser when that was done (BL was over at that point). Worked fine for me after that.

· Godfather
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
got off the phone with D*. no new box, just the free HD for 4 months for now. He said I would have to schedule a service call 1st before they would give me a new box.

· Godfather
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyone know where I can download tonight BL finale online?

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
pappys said:
Anyone know where I can download tonight BL finale online?
I would check NBC.com tomorrow.

· Icon
563 Posts
Just J said:
I had a similar playback display problem (didn't pay attention to lights or hard drive, so I can't confirm those symptoms). The second time it went flakey, I started watching Mythbusters instead, and went back to Biggest Loser when that was done (BL was over at that point). Worked fine for me after that.
The moral of this and my sympathy but it seems like the BL viewers on HR20 are the BIG LOSERS. (>:

· Godfather
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dvrblogger said:
The moral of this and my sympathy but it seems like the BL viewers on HR20 are the BIG LOSERS. (>:
Its one of the shows my wife likes, I don't care for it much.

UPDATE:

I called D* today, after wife called and said box just shut itself off while recording 2 programs today. They are shipping a new box right away, and I should have it in 2 days. Whew, that will get the pregnant P.O.'d wife off my case for a while.:hurah:

· Banned
6 Posts
HDfreddy said:
Extremely frustrated and looking for direction.

My HRis doing the same thing.

I wonder if insight cable has problems with their DVR boxes.

HDfreddy
Unfortunately all DVRs(TiVos, cable company, Directv) have this problem. Sometimes the hard drive just dies.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.