DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even though its plugged in. And the connection works. The setup menu won't let me pick the "antenna and satellite" tab, only "satellite only". What gives? Am I missing something? :confused:

·
Hall Of Fame
1,102 Posts
They are shooting for a target date of 12/1 to have the OTA inputs active.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Right now the OTA function is not active. The official D* (DirecTV) answer is it will be active before December 1st. Rumor is it may be sooner.

And wecome to the forum.

Mod Edit: To remove quoted comments and followup

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
D-Love...
OTA is not active yet.. so you are not doing anything wrong...

D-Love; You will want to do some looking around and searching..
There is a good 2 months worth of information to catch up.

Welcome to the forum... and to the HR20.

And to the threads I deleted/altered
Come on... now... If this is going to get your undies in a bunch, then time to move on... as 6 years later... TCF still gets posts about how do I program my DTivo from the web.

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, thanx for the info. It was driving me nuts yesterday as I thought I was missing something really simple. :lol:

·
AllStar
84 Posts
D Love said:
Ah, thanx for the info. It was driving me nuts yesterday as I thought I was missing something really simple. :lol:
No fault of yours at all, it's quite baffling. I still don't understand why the oldest method of receiving a TV signal needs to be activated months after release.

Oh well, all we can do is be patient.

·
Icon
550 Posts
Quite frankly this issue is not quite as simple as you would think. The biggest issues would center around the Guide integration to incorporate your local channels that are not coming off of the satellite. The other big question mark is whether or not D* is going to allow 3-4 recordings in parallel (there are two satellite tuners and it appears there are 2 OTA tuners in the box based upon pictures). Allowing for additional recording streams has to be the biggest question mark as it will place a huge load on the HDD when recording a lot of HD content.

·
AllStar
84 Posts
lguvenoz said:
...Quite frankly this issue is not quite as simple as you would think...
I guess it makes sense it isn't easy, otherwise they would have done it prior to release.

Still weird at the moment you first connect your new box.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
lguvenoz said:
The biggest issues would center around the Guide integration to incorporate your local channels that are not coming off of the satellite.
I don't think this is a big hurdle as my H20 has been doing this fine for months now.

lguvenoz said:
The other big question mark is whether or not D* is going to allow 3-4 recordings in parallel (there are two satellite tuners and it appears there are 2 OTA tuners in the box based upon pictures). Allowing for additional recording streams has to be the biggest question mark as it will place a huge load on the HDD when recording a lot of HD content.
It has been said by Earl that the HR20 will only be able to record 2 channels at a time maximum. You'll have the options of recording 2 sat channels, 2 OTA channels, or 1 sat and 1 OTA channel.

·
AllStar
63 Posts
PoitNarf said:
It has been said by Earl that the HR20 will only be able to record 2 channels at a time maximum. You'll have the options of recording 2 sat channels, 2 OTA channels, or 1 sat and 1 OTA channel.
Somebody has to say this...

That is not what the manual states. I keep checking after every update and it says the same thing. You would think that the updates would correct the manual if you keep it on top of the unit :)

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
HaiChinGow said:
Somebody has to say this...

That is not what the manual states. I keep checking after every update and it says the same thing. You would think that the updates would correct the manual if you keep it on top of the unit :)
You mean the online version of the manual?
I know a few tech writers... and they HATE development teams... specifically for this reason...

They can't make the changes to the documents faster then the development teams can get the software changes done...

I don't see the manual being updated until the updates start to be on a less frequent schedule.

·
AllStar
65 Posts
PoitNarf said:
Doesn't Dish Network have (at least) one DVR that can record 3 programs at once? Earl, why would D* deny us this since it is stated in the manual? I was really looking forward to this at OTA inception, in fact I was hoping we could record three programs while viewing something on the unused 4th tuner. Any chance of this at some future time?

·
AllStar
63 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
You mean the online version of the manual?
I know a few tech writers... and they HATE development teams... specifically for this reason...

They can't make the changes to the documents faster then the development teams can get the software changes done...

I don't see the manual being updated until the updates start to be on a less frequent schedule.
The online doc would be an immediate start. Especially for this issue.

I can relate to the war between the Dev Team vs. the Tech Writers, well, sort of. I am a Product Manager for a company that releases over 30 electronic consumer products a year. Each product line has millions of units that ship. For legal reasons, the manuals have to be accurate when we ship including the foreign language manuals.

Features do change. That is what release notes and documentation addendums are for.

I am not suggesting anything here, but, I find it curious that I have seen no retraction of the claim on page 19 of the user manual that clearly states that "You can record up to three programs at once" and goes on to clarify that "(two satellite and one from an off-air antenna)."

OK, to make a long story longer.... This assumes that the information that has been communicated on this forum is true that only two programs can be recorded at once. Before D* turns on OTA, how will they notify customers about the mistaken misrepresentation? Email, Snail Mail, Message to the HR20, a footnote in the UI? I see a support and PR nightmare in the making if this isn't communicated correctly and in a timely manner.

-hai

·
Icon
731 Posts
PEOPLE! PLEEZE search the forums! I can't believe how often this question keeps coming up.. even after my SPOOF question on how OFTEN THIS QUESTION COMES UP a few weeks back.

Unreal. At least check the posts from the last week or so.. or PLEASE type 'ota' in search.

this SAME question was asked.. like today I think.. or yesterday.. almost daily...

·
Registered
12,558 Posts
Slyster said:
PEOPLE! PLEEZE search the forums! I can't believe how often this question keeps coming up.. even after my SPOOF question on how OFTEN THIS QUESTION COMES UP a few weeks back.

Unreal. At least check the posts from the last week or so.. or PLEASE type 'ota' in search.

this SAME question was asked.. like today I think.. or yesterday.. almost daily...
Get used to it.

·
AllStar
63 Posts
Slyster said:

Funny, I have been participating in online forums in one form or another since 1978. Your pleas have been the same ones that I have seen since day one. In defense of new users, the search isn't always intuitive to a first time forum user. Over the years, the best ways to alleviate these oft asked issues are to create a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions), appropriate name. :) The first QA should be, "How do I search the forum?", followed by the most often recurring questions. To facilitate finding the FAQ, it should be made sticky.

Even then, you will still see the same questions asked over and over. 'tis human nature to reach out in frustration, then try to figure out the mystical workings of a User Interface.

·
Icon
731 Posts
True. I will fogive it.. THIS TIME... :)

No doubt I have asked a question that was posted the same day in my years of using forums.

·
Icon
777 Posts
HaiChinGow said:
Funny, I have been participating in online forums in one form or another since 1978.
Ah, the old 110/300 baud days....when Kermit was King and Zmodem was only a glimmer in the eye of the developer. When CP/M and TRSDOS ruled the land of desktop machines, Wordstar and Visicalc were the end-all-be-all of desktop applications....when you could hear the the buzzing of 9-pin dot matrix printers or the rat-tat-tat of the lone daisywheel printer in offices around thr country....

·
Mentor
40 Posts
dervari said:
Ah, the old 110/300 baud days....when Kermit was King and Zmodem was only a glimmer in the eye of the developer. When CP/M and TRSDOS ruled the land of desktop machines, Wordstar and Visicalc were the end-all-be-all of desktop applications....when you could hear the the buzzing of 9-pin dot matrix printers or the rat-tat-tat of the lone daisywheel printer in offices around thr country....
Damn! You must be as old as me :lol:

I had to write my own code to start my first RCP/M BBS back in the days of 300 baud modems. I can still remember when inverse video on my green monitor was called "graphics." !rolling Or my first Seagate ST225 hard drive cost $450... Long live TurboDOS and 8-inch floppies - woo hoo!

·
AllStar
63 Posts
Stevesdigi said:
Damn! You must be as old as me :lol:

I had to write my own code to start my first RCP/M BBS back in the days of 300 baud modems. I can still remember when inverse video on my green monitor was called "graphics." !rolling Or my first Seagate ST225 hard drive cost $450... Long live TurboDOS and 8-inch floppies - woo hoo!
I was fortunate enough to have ARPANET in the bunker where I worked :)

At home, I did re-write Punter protocol in assembler and ported ZModem to 6502 for my BBS.

Which leads to....

Back in my day, when we watched each character slowly show up on the screen, it was frustrating to see the same questions come up over and over. We were price aware then as we paid for each character that came across the phone line. You could be banned from FIDO for using a signature with more than 3 lines!

I can live with a few repeat questions now :D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.