DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Superfly
4,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been off contract for a while and with spring coming early to the upper Midwest, it's time for me to upgrade my system by signing up for a new two year commitment.

I've found success in the past by piggy-backing my needs onto an existing DirecTV package. One time when I re-upped, I added MPEG4 locals. DirecTV had a package at that point for people who added MPEG4 locals, which got me new hardware for cheap.

I'm looking to see if folks know what the current offers are.

My hook might be WHDVR. I have been unsupported for years and it works great but I could go supported with DECA and SWiM. Does anybody know if there is a WHDVR upgrade package out there now?

I also want to retire a tuner in favor of another DVR. As I'd want a HR24, I might have to pay for that. Any chance DirecTV would give me a $99 credit if they took my H23 receiver back?

I've done my share of dialing for dollars so it will undoubtably take multiple calls to find a CSR or a person in Retention who wants to work with me. Still, finding out what packages might exist ahead of time can't hurt.

I guess I should also tell you what I've got: a HR23, a HR20 and a H23, all off of a multiswitch I've had for years. The dish itself got upgraded the last go around. I can't tell you what type it is but it's what was current 2 1/2 years ago.

· Registered
4,146 Posts
The best way to find out current offer's is to clear your Browser cookies and then visit the D* web site you'll see all the offers for a first time visitor. :)

· Superfly
4,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bjlc said:
carl.. let me know, one if you are giving up your distant networks .. and two are they allowing you to keep them if you want...
thanks..
I long ago gave up my distant networks. I just have our local ones.

And thanks for the idea of clearing my browser. I'll try that.

I also understand you just have to call and ask. Seems like it's always been that way. Another thing that has always been true for me, at least, is that Retention is the only place to get things done.

· Icon
1,197 Posts
wow.. you gave up your distant networks.. thats the great equalizer for me with D*... of course I get to sample charter on my breaks at work, and there is no comparison.. Directv all the way.. and its not close..

but I won't give up my distants until the pry them from my hands.. its the one reason I was asking about the antenna question and that's only for about three Sundays per year at most.. trust me I haven't missed the local news one bit..

· Legend
308 Posts
I'm just out of contract and when I called yesterday to confirm my contract expiration date I was immediately transferred to the CRD dept. Told them I was thinking of going back to DISH since they were just about ready to release their Hopper/Joey receiver.

Was given an HR34, 3 months of Showtime & Starz and extended the $10 credit for HD another 24 months. Had to pay $49 for installation. Also was given an upgrade to SWM16 from a SWM8 since I currently have 2 HR23's and one H23 and one SD receiver. Already had WHDVR system. Probably could have got more but I'm happy with this.

A note to others. Someone on the forum posted earlier when calling in to just say "contract expiration date" when prompted. When I did that the computer came back and said my contract didn't expire until June! I knew that was wrong so I pursued it further but if I hadn't known better I could have just as easily hung up disappointed at that stage.

· Icon
1,197 Posts
So Carl.. did you make the big negotiation..? what did you swing...

btw I just found out that my landlord is redoing my roof,, and I have to remove my dish.. and since , I too, am out of contract.., is this the time to get a break or two.. gees right now, even without a dvr I am paying over $130, to 140 per month... its a ton of change..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.