DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I originally was waiting to get all of the bugs worked out on the HR20 before I got one but is it safe to assume that if I can find one it is ok to go ahead and get it and all of the problems will just be fixed via s/w download? ie no updated models coming out?

Thanks for the help! I'm new hear and really appreciate this site!

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Since you found the site, you have all the information about the current "issues", differences, and other things.... after reviewing all that... you should have enough information to make up your mind.

(That sounded harsh, basically what I mean to say... we here in the forum can't tell you how to spend your money, we can just help get you the information to make your decision).

As for a new model.... no, there are no new models in development.
The HR20 is it. As of the information we have today, all indications is that nearlly all issues are Software releated. Other then hard drive failures, nothing has really pointd to hardware issues with the HR20

· Legend
148 Posts
I think the unit is terrific. The only caveat I would throw out there is this: If you are a diehard Tivo fan, then be prepared to alter your workflow.

· Hall Of Fame
1,095 Posts
laxcoach said:
I think the unit is terrific. The only caveat I would throw out there is this: If you are a diehard Tivo fan, then be prepared to alter your workflow.
I agree. Takes a little getting used to if you have been using the DTivo. But it does not take to long.

· Lifetime Achiever
28,927 Posts
My wife uses the word hate when she talks about the HR20. She prefers the stability of the HR10 which doesn't have the same issues as the HR20. She does like the HD (MPEG4) recording capacity of the new box. With the HR10, we had to selectively record HD (MPEG2) because of capacity issues. I now have two HR20s and with MPEG4 compression plus double the capacity (2-boxes), I can now record most everything I want in HD.

In our case, HD trumps 100% stability. Most of the time, things have worked for me. There are some cases where the differences in the UI have made it take a little bit longer to "do the same thing as TiVo," but we're learning. That problem will go away. There have been some other buggy issues where you just have to say "huh?" I'm not 100% satisfied with the box. I'm definitely > 80% satisfied and expect to be closer to 95% satisfied by this time next year. Since it is doubtful there will EVER be 30-second skip, I will never be 100% satisfied with the HR20.

Hope that helps.

5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies guys!

Yes Earl, I understand about not telling me how to spend my money. I realize there are some issues and the money for the unit is not a concern. I just didn't want to buy the unit if because of the problems they would be putting out a new unit making this one obsolete. The last part of your answer was exactly what I needed......If they aren't planning on a new model and most everything will be fixed (in time) with s/w updates than i'm ready to take the plunge.

Thanks Again!

· Legend
125 Posts
I've had mine for a month now and LOVE it!
I almost posted a thread this morning saying just that. My wife hates it though, she can't get me away from it so she can watch her shows:lol:

Knowing what I know I would do it all over again. Clearly people have there issues, but people rarely search out a forum to post that they have know trouble. look at the other forums for the other equiptment here at dbstalk and you will surely find an equal number of people that have trouple with other equiptment.

P.S. I also would like to see a true 30 sec. skip, but TIVO dosen't have it either, unless you search a forum, find and enter the secret code, maybe someday...

· Mentor
35 Posts
I have had my two since Tuesday and love them already. I find the functions much more responsive. I love not having to wait for the unit to carry out simple tasks. It reminds me a lot of the functionality of UltimateTV.

My only dislike is the loss of the 30 sec skip.

· Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
If you are ok with a Digital Video Recorder that occasionally will not record a show that you programmed it to, the HR20 is the right answer for you. Just a note, this problem has existed in every release to date, and it appears like it might be on D*s other non HD DVR the R15.

· Mentor
35 Posts
btmoore said:
If you are ok with a Digital Video Recorder that occasionally will not record a show that you programmed it to, the HR20 is the right answer for you. Just a note, this problem has existed in every release to date, and it appears like it might be on D*s other non HD DVR the R15.
My HR10-250's did the same thing on occasion.

· Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
ctauber said:
My HR10-250's did the same thing on occasion.
I am on my 3rd missed recording in 3 days, with only a note of Partial in the history. How does that compare to your HR10? I never owned a hr10, but my sat-t60 only missed if the guide data was wrong or schedule conflict.

· Mentor
35 Posts
btmoore said:
I am on my 3rd missed recording in 3 days, with only a note of Partial in the history. How does that compare to your HR10? I never owned a hr10, but my sat-t60 only missed if the guide data was wrong or schedule conflict.
It probably missed 3-4 shows over a year and a half.

I have only had my HR20 units since Tuesday and have not experienced any problems yet. Maybe it's too soon or I'm just lucky? Hopefully the latter.

· Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
ctauber said:
It probably missed 3-4 shows over a year and a half.

I have only had my HR20 units since Tuesday and have not experienced any problems yet. Maybe it's too soon or I'm just lucky? Hopefully the latter.
3 - 4 over a 1.5 year cycle, would be ok with me. :)

I think the "Partial" bug presents itself based on frequency of use, I have 48 passes set up so there are lots of things being recorded. Keep an eye on your history, if you think something might of missed, check your history and see if it gets marked partial. Then you know you have seen "the partial bug" :grin:

· Banned
1,199 Posts
My HR20 works perfectly right now (it didn't when I got it), so I am hardly an HR20/D* hater.

Would I recommend the HR20? Sure, if you want to gamble and have solid back-up (like an R10 or H10). If you can't tolerate risk, don't bother yet, because you could wind up like some of the frazzled poor souls who are on their 3rd or 4th boxes, or have little or no reliability so far.

To say anyone hates the HR20 or D* is just plain silly. Some have issues with functionality compared to other DVRs. What people hate is a product that doesn't work as advertised for them.

· DBSTalk Club Member
268 Posts
One of those situations where it works great right up to the point where it doesn't.

I'm at about 85% with mine - I like it for the HD recording, and there are a lot of positive things you can say about the interface and intuitiveness. It's just hard to say "wow, doesn't that picture look great!" when the program you were expecting to watch didn't get recorded.

Maybe the best way to summarize: The HR-20 could be the best DVR of 2007.

· AllStar
77 Posts
I'm at hour 48 on my newly installed HR20-700. I did the complete install myself, including mounting and aligning the dish. Outside of things I didn't expect to work, such as OTA reception (didn't even bother to hook the antenna up) and caller ID, the only issue I've had is the pink FF icon. It has recorded everthing I've asked it to (national and local) and played back everything it recorded without issue. It hasn't recorded anything I didn't want and didn't delete any recordings I wanted to keep. I am fortunate to have 4 local HD channels in my downfeed so I'm not even sure I'll even bother to hook the OTA antenna up to the HR20. While I was checking the sat signal strength on the receiver it started downloading the e3 software all on it's own before I could even get the receiver activated.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with it so far (knock on wood). Expecting the worst has prepared me for possible (maybe probable) issues in the short term. I am a D* Tivo user. My other DVR is an older RCA DVR40 that has been relegated to backup recording. Personal adjustment to this somewhat differently configured DVR took a few hours. But it's all there pretty much, just different. I was never a double buffer power user so missing the double buffer didn't hurt my feelings too much.

My belief is that, for some, this unit may not be ready for prime time. It's hard to wade between the BS and the hype around here. While I have no doubt that some people have serious hardware issues, I'm equally certain that there's a silent majority that have no issues of any consequence.

I have an observation that I'd like to share about dish alignment. The "official" d* alignment instructions (both written and video) go into great detail about the need to tune the dish for optimum alignment because of the narrow beamwidth of the ka birds. But the instructions never have you tune to any of the ka birds, depending on aligning to just 2 of the ku birds. They only ask the installer to verify good signal strength on all the birds. I found that after going through the "official" D* alignment procedure that the 99* ka signal on my birdog was a lil lacking. It was there, but just a half turn on the az fine tune adjustment screw brough it in a whole lot better while still giving me excellent readings on the 101 and 119 birds. My receiver shows excellent reception on all the xponders it sees with an average of 97 or 98, the lowest is 87 (xponder 4 on the 99* bird and the only reading in the 80s) with many at 100.

Far be it for me to cast aspirsions on the characters of some D* installers, but I wouldn't be surprised to find that some of the issues that some people are experiencing with the local HD downfeed are dish alignment issues.

For the record, I don't work for D* or any other consumer satellite content provider. Nor am I contract employee for D* or anyone else for that matter. Furthermore, I have never worked for such companies. Let's just say that it's a rare D* installer that has as much experience aligning satellite dishes as I have.

· Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
blueflame16 said:
Can anyone tell me why my hr20-700 didn't record survivor, Las Vegas, and Criminal minds. Lately it's a crap shot on whats recorded and what's not.
Look in your history, check to see if it says why those shows did not record. If it says partial, you have experienced the partial bug. If it is the partial bug, it is a very random bug that is very annoying and it still exists in 0xeb.

· Cool Member
27 Posts
btmoore said:
Look in your history, check to see if it says why those shows did not record. If it says partial, you have experienced the partial bug. If it is the partial bug, it is a very random bug that is very annoying and it still exists in 0xeb.
I did what you said and it didn't say anything about partial. How would I get rid of a bug?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.