DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Icon
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading all along about free bees.. and I haven't asked D* for anything in quite some time.. pushing two years..

so has anyone ever gotten Sunday ticket for free? Not the HD side, just Sunday ticket..

all I have are SD channels and an old Oval dish with RCA receivers that will be 6 years old next month.

is it possible? I pay my bills on time.. and I have two premium channels.. and have had them since my first month of service.. I heard that I had five hearts ( or stars) when that was applicable.

can it happen?

just thought that I would ask.

67 Posts
If you expect to get it free, count on fighting for it for your life. Sports subs are really the only things that are really hard to get free or discounted severely. They may offer free equipment or more services at you, maybe 1 payment of a 6-payment plan of the ST waived, but that's probably it. but the only way to know for sure is to call

· Legend
149 Posts
bjlc said:
I have been reading all along about free bees.. and I haven't asked D* for anything in quite some time.. pushing two years..

so has anyone ever gotten Sunday ticket for free? Not the HD side, just Sunday ticket..

all I have are SD channels and an old Oval dish with RCA receivers that will be 6 years old next month.

is it possible? I pay my bills on time.. and I have two premium channels.. and have had them since my first month of service.. I heard that I had five hearts ( or stars) when that was applicable.

can it happen?

just thought that I would ask.
I'm going to say you'll get a couple of credits to offset part of the fee and possibly SuperFan Free but, If you somehow get this done, please post the transcript :D

· Icon
927 Posts
bjlc said:
I pay my bills on time.. and I have two premium channels.. and have had them since my first month of service.
I've paid my bills on time for over 50 years.

Does that mean I get my funeral for free? :lol:

Why do people think they should get 'extras' for doing what they should be doing in the first place?

· Godfather
385 Posts
Because you get free bees for threatening to leave often times.

5 Posts
Why do people think they are entitled to free stuff because they pay their bills. These are the same people that complain when prices go up (usually because of the "free" things companies give away). When a company approaches you with some incentive, take it, otherwise just kick back and enjoy.

· Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
sunfiresj said:
Why do people think they are entitled to free stuff because they pay their bills.
"Entitled," no, but it is easy to see why a company would give a few freebies to reward those who always pay on time as compared to those who don't.

· Cool Member
23 Posts
I'm in the middle of a move right now so I called the Mover's Connection line. In addition to upgrading my last remaning HR10-250 to a HR21 for free, the lovely agent asked if I would like Sunday Ticket for only $74/month for four months. Thinking this was on top of my normal bill, I declined. I have never subscribed to ST before. She then asked if I was sure and explained that this was my TOTAL bill for four months with ST AND they would upgrade me to Premier for 4 months as well! I kid you not. Premier alone would be over $100. Of course I took her up on the offer. Later in the day I saw the thread on Superfan and called back and got them to include that at no charge as well. All of this goodness is documented on my account page on Directv.com and the Premier package is already turned on.

So yeah, I got Sunday Ticket for free. :D :D :D

· RIP
6,203 Posts
Redlinetire said:
I've paid my bills on time for over 50 years.

Does that mean I get my funeral for free? :lol:

Why do people think they should get 'extras' for doing what they should be doing in the first place?
Because a lot of people don't pay their bills or don't pay them on time. Companies have to build bad debt into their pricing model. When you get a customer that pays on time and stays with you longterm it can be good business practice to give a little something back in order to keep them as your customer. Are they entitled to freebies? No...but if a company is going to give discounts...that's a group worth giving them to.

· Icon
927 Posts
Ken S said:
Because a lot of people don't pay their bills or don't pay them on time. Companies have to build bad debt into their pricing model. When you get a customer that pays on time and stays with you longterm it can be good business practice to give a little something back in order to keep them as your customer. Are they entitled to freebies? No...but if a company is going to give discounts...that's a group worth giving them to.
Agreed, but I think it's a matter of degree.

For instance if DirecTV gave everyone free access to UniversalHD during the Olympics as a 'thank you' to loyal customers, that'd be cool and I think would build some good will.

But giving everyone NFL Sunday Ticket for FREE (what the OP wants) because you paid your bill on time is ridiculous IMO.

· Legend
198 Posts
I got it free last year, however I never asked for it. I was honestly calling to cancel because I sincerely didn't see it fitting in my budget any longer, plus I just got tired of watching the Lions lose year after year ;) Matt Millen is killing DirecTV!....

Anyway, the CSR wouldn't let me cancel. She said she understood that a lot of folks were tightnening their belts that year and because I'd been a customer for so long they'd give it to me for free for that season as long as I'd be willing to pay half price for the Superfan package. I thanked her for such a generous offer, told her it was too good to refuse and accepted it. ...

Then I cancelled at the end of the season ;) (Damn you Matt Millen!!!)

· RIP
6,203 Posts
Redlinetire said:
Agreed, but I think it's a matter of degree.

For instance if DirecTV gave everyone free access to UniversalHD during the Olympics as a 'thank you' to loyal customers, that'd be cool and I think would build some good will.

But giving everyone NFL Sunday Ticket for FREE (what the OP wants) because you paid your bill on time is ridiculous IMO.
I'm pretty sure the OP isn't interested in everyone getting Sunday Ticket for free...just himself.

Personally, the way DirecTV doles out freebies is kind of ridiculous to me...they generally give them to the people that call...which then gives people even more incentive to call again. Answering calls costs money.

Every so often you'll read around here how things have tightened up and they're not going to do that anymore...three posts later five guys are chuckling how they got all sorts of credits, free programming, hardware and a ride in the DirecTV race car. DirecTV is making a lot of money...this program must be working.

On another note, the people that keep whining that all the freebies are the reason our rates go up...remember most of those freebies don't cost DirecTV anything. Almost all of the channels alot freebie programming to the distributors to use for marketing efforts. When DirecTV gives someone six months of HBO it's probably not costing them anything (especially if they wouldn't have subscribed otherwise)...and it may just net them a new HBO subscriber.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.